Fiero store headliner? by adm927
Started on: 09-14-2017 09:16 AM
Replies: 19 (946 views)
Last post by: 1MohrFiero on 10-05-2017 07:33 AM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking about buying a replacement headliner from the Fiero Store. Anyone got and I put or opinions? Are they good? Are they easy to install? Is there someone else that makes a better one? Etc?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one sitting in my shed, seems good quality. Only other i would consider is an abs instead of fiberglass.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it the best thing since sliced bread? No.
Does it get the job done? Yes.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not familiar with the Fiero Store headliner, but if you're stock headliner is in decent shape, it takes no prior skill to reupholster it. Russ makes a kit, it's really easy. Dont spend all that money if yours is still in one piece! Just go slow and it will be fine. There is a video on YouTube showing how to do it, too.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure that my headliner backing is good. But the fabric on it is bad, so bad that I can't reuse it.
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the Fiero Store's headliner, and I thought it turned out great.

My only complaint is with the visors . . . only one has the map pockets. In the stock config, both had pockets.
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've put in a couple of the Fiero Store headliners with the 3rd brake light and sunroof and thought they were of excellent quality. The ABS backing makes them forgiving during the installation. The stock ones are usually pretty old and brittle and therefore easy to damage during removal and reinstallation. I plan to buy a 3rd one for my current Fiero to install during the winter.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
2015 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track

fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

I used the Fiero Store's headliner, and I thought it turned out great.

My only complaint is with the visors . . . only one has the map pockets. In the stock config, both had pockets.

I use the 80's dodge sun visors. Dodge Shadow or Daytona. Direct fit, much nicer quality.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed mine a couple of years ago, overall it is a pretty nice piece. I think I did do a little trimming around the 3rd brake line opening, but that was about it. I installed mine w/o any fabric. Overall the shape and contour is pretty good, but w/o the foam and fabric you can see a few of the transition gaps with the other interior pieces are not uniform, but this would not be noticable with foam backed fabric that most people use.

I do need to remove it and paint all the interior trim so the colors all match. When I do that, I might take the time to tweak the gaps with some foam on the backside of the headliner and/or reshape some of the edges of the interior parts to better match the headline shape.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe they fixed it in newer versions but when I did one about 5-6 yrs ago the fit was horrible. It didn't fit well at all and was a real pain to get it to align. Don't even talk about the visor screws area. But from what I see here seems they may have fixed the issues. The other problem I had was that after a year an area about one square foot of the fabric started to unglue on the passenger side.
If your backing is fairly decent I would highly recommend to use it and save a lot of $$. Just add some fiberglass resin and re-upholster it. I have one saving it for the day I would need it on another Fiero and when I visit a yard that is one of the first thing I look to grab.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 09-14-2017).]

adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I am just going to recover mine. Does anyone know if someone sells just the fabric? Like Joann fabric , or hobby lobby etc?
PFF
System Bot
Russ88TTop

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ88TTopClick Here to visit Russ88TTop's HomePageSend a Private Message to Russ88TTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sell the material kit if your looking for close to the original colors and it's a little more expensive. If your not that particular about a close to perfect color match, you can buy the material at JoAnns, one yard should be enough and they also sell the spray glue and save a few dollars. I wouldn't recommend any of the glue if it doesn't say " Hi-Temp" headliner glue. It's not that difficult for a DIY job, even for the novice, as stated earlier, plenty of videos are available. I also have visors, no pockets, pockets on one visor or pockets on both.
Some advice, after you glue the material to the headliner, let it sit untouched for at least 12 hours, that way you won't leave impressions where you touch it, the time leaves the glue proper time to set up and cure
Hope that helps
Russ

www.fierointeriors.com
www.rwupholstery.com

[This message has been edited by Russ88TTop (edited 09-14-2017).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on the DIY suggestion. Being small, the Fiero is a lot easier to do than some cars. The biggest potential stumbling block in my opinion is the "valleys" above each passenger's heads. First one I did, I didn't make the fabric tight enough and it got bunched up in the corner of the valleys. I also didn't get my patchwork on the fiberboard smooth enough and it showed through the fabric, despite its foam backing which I naively assumed would hide most flaws. So I found a nearly-perfect board in the JY and re-did it too, which came out much better.

It took about a year of searching the junkyards for a good hardtop board but when I finally did, it was very inexpensive.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ88TTop:

..I wouldn't recommend any of the glue if it doesn't say " Hi-Temp" headliner glue. ..

This is very important. I would only use 3M if spray can. 3M has like 2-3 types. Get the most expensive one. You won't regret it.
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

+1 on the DIY suggestion. Being small, the Fiero is a lot easier to do than some cars. The biggest potential stumbling block in my opinion is the "valleys" above each passenger's heads. First one I did, I didn't make the fabric tight enough and it got bunched up in the corner of the valleys. I also didn't get my patchwork on the fiberboard smooth enough and it showed through the fabric, despite its foam backing which I naively assumed would hide most flaws. So I found a nearly-perfect board in the JY and re-did it too, which came out much better.

It took about a year of searching the junkyards for a good hardtop board but when I finally did, it was very inexpensive.

This is why I recommend starting from the center and working your way out.
\

I don't recommend super 77 by 3m. Let go within a few months.
I laid and cut my fabric to size then folded one half over and started gluing it down bit by bit, after i moved on to the other half so I wouldn't have any bunches or seams.

Joann Fabric sells a headliner spray http://www.joann.com/headli...#q=headliner&start=1

Its about 20 dollars a can it took me a can to do the headliner fast set time and seems to be holding between temperature changes.

[This message has been edited by Phirewire (edited 09-15-2017).]

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of good responses here already, but I'll share my tips anyhow just in case.

The 3M spray glue works well and is pretty forgiving. If you make a mistake it will allow you to readjust before getting to sticky. There's another glue (can't remember the name) orange can with blue lid, its in most auto parts stores and is hard to miss the orange. It works really well also and I've actually found it to be stronger than the 3M, however it is not at all forgiving. Once the fabric is down it won't come back up. I prefer it because its stronger though.

I would recommend starting in the front middle where it meets the windshield and work to the sides and go back a few inches at a time. Its always worked for me Also be sure to wrap an inch or so around the back side.

Depending on the amount of damage it is possible to fix a broken headliner using metal rods (like pieces of coat hanger) strong thin cardboard and hot glue. I've done it a few times with success.
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered and installed a sunroof model headliner and new sunroof gasket from TFS, for my 85 SE 9 years ago.

Perfect fit, and easy to install.
Looks as good today as the day I received it.

Plus I found a really terrific recipe for chicken casserole, in the newspaper used to stuff the carton with.
I renamed it "Fiero Chicken".

Double win, in my opinion.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried to cut their base panel for a T Top
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When my sun roof head liner started drooping years ago, I bought a fiberglass headliner from the FS. ($100) When I took the car to my local upholstery shop, they ask what was it for. I said I was told that the headliner backing always broke apart when it was removed. They said that happens when someone doesn't know what they were doing. They replace the headliner ($160) on the original backing board and I sold the fiberglass one. My headliner is still in good shape for the past 16 years. Terrible that I have a notebook of all the work that has been done on my 87 GT.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is pretty old but it may help.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/042788.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock