Shifting on 5 speed getrag by jjd2296
Started on: 09-13-2017 08:17 PM
Replies: 9 (307 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 09-17-2017 10:12 AM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question. I replaced the clutch fluid bless line without any problem got all air out. Don't need to press clutch pedal to floor but first is stiff to get in on some shifts and second if shifted fast feels
Like there is a catch on the shifter then it slides into gear. This is only at lower speeds and. It in the other gears. And actually not all the time. If I shift it into second a little slower it goes smooth. Actually it was like this before I changed the clutch fluid. I have already confirmed that there are no leaks in the clutch lines. Keep in mind that I did put a short shifter on the car. I'm thinking it might be something with the select cables or components on the shifter control itself. Any insight would be great.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2017 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like a good Getrag to me! If you are not using Synchromesh trans fluid, it would help.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Getrag doesn't like going into first or reverse smoothly every time either... No leaks and such as well... Over the years I've learned that it seems to like when I "line it up" by putting into second then first, and fifth and then reverse respectively. I consider it a little quirk of my car and adds some personality.

I think you're fine man, seems normal to me!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes mine does the same thing! Ok I feel better that this is probably just another quirk about the car.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My short shifter takes a lot more effort to put in gear than a regular shifter.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does it make that much of a difference?? I replaced the fluid last month with the 5w30 in accordance with the manual specifications. I didn't have any synchromesh that I could find at the time. Had to change it because the previous owner appeared to have replaced the original fluid with gear oil !!!!!

Originally posted by Gall757:

It sounds like a good Getrag to me! If you are not using Synchromesh trans fluid, it would help.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. It would be worth the effort.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have a 5w30 number on the dipstick/plug. It's all I've ever put into it, and I've never had any problems shifting. I have a short shifter and my 1-2 & 3-4 shifts can be done with 2 fingers. The select (left-right shift) cable has a bit of friction though, but I deal with it for now. The car has almost 182,000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE - I've referenced this video a few times to help aid in the description. He also shows an old school synchro vs a T5.

The way synchros work is they are basically cones with teeth. The cones slow the mating gear down via friction (and they also have some grooves to bite through whatever lubricating fluid is specified), and the teeth help guide the ring (forget the exact name) that delivers power from the input shaft to the intended gear. With the wrong fluid the synchros would have trouble stopping the gears for this change to properly occur. Gear oil being much heavier than engine oil would probably cause this issue, so you may be able to resolve it by attempting some sort of flush.

I don't know what solvents would cause any sort of damage to the synchros (often times they're something like brass, or have some sort of fiber lining), so I'd look into that, 282 is around the same era as the T5 debut, so I wouldn't make any guesses at a chance of ruining the synchros.

[This message has been edited by Doober (edited 09-16-2017).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Synchromesh fluid made a huge improvement in shifting.....I would never use anything else!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

My short shifter takes a lot more effort to put in gear than a regular shifter.

I went back to a longer shifter with mine.
1 to 2, and 3 to 4 are fine, but the side to side (select) is fairly stiff. I probably need a new cable, but I'll try to lube it first.
Running synchromesh, btw.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock