Speed bump by notwohorns
Started on: 08-26-2017 06:31 PM
Replies: 7 (517 views)
Last post by: notwohorns on 09-02-2017 07:07 PM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2017 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last Sunday I was 86 miles from home and I hit a speed bump. The car crashed going on the up side and them crashed on the down side. I hit it hard but every thing seemed okay until a little down the road the temperature light came on. I stopped and about that time all kinds of steam came out from under the hood. I busted the radiator. Glad I had AAA, I had a 100 miles towing range
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2017 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope everything turned out OK for you. that's one real nice lookin' Fiero you have there. Get her fixed up and back on the road.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2017 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did radiator fail?
Car body, AC parts, etc should hit first.
Left tank of OE Radiator can fail from old age and maybe just hitting any big bump push it over the edge.
See my Cave, Radiator Failure

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2017 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
His Fiero is nice. He painted it himself.

First off, I'm glad you're OK. I don't know how fast you were going, but the shocks may not have been up to the task.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 08-27-2017).]

notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

How did radiator fail?
Car body, AC parts, etc should hit first.
Left tank of OE Radiator can fail from old age and maybe just hitting any big bump push it over the edge.
See my Cave, Radiator Failure

By the way it looks, the lower radiator support hit hard enough to damage the radiator. Maybe just the impact did it. The radiator was only two years old. I'm going to send it back under warranty

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 08-27-2017).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of our speed bumps around here have two white triangles on the approach side, plus signs posted prior to the speed bump or table. The only ones I've encountered that were not very visible were at a municipal complex where a nearby county has it's government offices. My explorer Sport Track didn't take very kindly to them, either. I think that county didn't mark them, intending for them to do damage, even at the posted speed limit. They simply looked like a brick crosswalk, difficult to see the elevation. If your speed bumps weren't marked, you may have a case for damage recovery.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2017 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In that case, I want damage recovery for the prius-sized, unmarked potholes, too.

In my truck, I rarely bother to slow down for speed bumps. The wheels just go blump-blump as I drive over them, and I hardly feel the bump in the truck. In the Impala, I used to hit the brakes right before the bump, then hit the gas, and drive over. In my Fiero, I'd rather not encounter speed bumps, road destruction, tar, or bugs.

Speed bumps here are rarely marked, other than being painted yellow. Sometimes, bumps due to uneven pavement are marked on highways.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed the new radiator yesterday. Fill it up with coolant and let it run while in the garage while doing other work in the garage. It overheated. Checked and the radiator fan is not coming on. I'll check that out tomorrow.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock