Rotted Frame D: by Daws0n25
Started on: 08-22-2017 05:39 PM
Replies: 11 (382 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-23-2017 04:54 PM
Daws0n25

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daws0n25Send a Private Message to Daws0n25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soo i purchased a fiero for dirt cheap. not running, but 200$ for a car that cranks, has new rotors and pads all the way around, new battery with receipt/3 year warranty, new alternator, seemed like a decent idea. Come to have it on jack stands, and the car is leaking a small but fair amount of oil, Especially considering it is not running, the K frame or cradle has surface rust all over it, and is rotted in one corner, and the drain hole on the passenger side is now big enough to fit a small child. It leaked some antifreeze on the trailer also. has not leaked since though. Gas tank straps are done, suspension is done. Im wondering if my tubular control arms for a monte carlo metric chassis late model race car, would fit on the fiero? is it worth saving? the interior has no headliner or carpets. also lacks matching seats. im sixteen, and want a project car, and am up for the challenge, and as i race, i have the knowledge to do all the required repairs, im just wondering. car has no fuel pressure, it has sat for 15 years. it rolls over and has spark, but rolls so slowly it wont fire. (with starter fluid). my question is, is it worth it to put money into this? or should i send it to be crushed. it would just break my heart. and the rott is isolated. Thanks, Dawson.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to weewee in your Cheerios, but it sounds like a parts/donor car to me. Hard to say without specifics, however. It also depends upon the year and options.

I would encourage you to post pics, if you can. But really, it doesn't sound promising.
(See the link at the bottom of the page for PIP. It's an image poster program, designed to work with the forum.)
Daws0n25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daws0n25Send a Private Message to Daws0n25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i figured. how much would suspension cost on a 85 gt notchback 6 cyl? i could make a new cradle to sit even lower and further improve handling, as we do in the race cars. thus removing that concern for just pure labor. i dont need interior carpets as i dont mind. could simply cut out rusted floor pans and fab up new ones, again, for nothing. could use the tin from the thunder i totaled last week :/ and i could make tubular uppers and lowers. stuff like thats simple. just the bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends ect. will get pics up at a later date, i dont have any.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where are you in "Canada" that Fieros are so rare that you'd want to throw unlimited time and money at this particular one?
Daws0n25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daws0n25Send a Private Message to Daws0n25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in Ontario. im currently looking at another white 85 with 40k on it. for a couple grand. only other one in the province i can find. not running and a four cylinder.
Daws0n25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daws0n25Send a Private Message to Daws0n25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daws0n25

5 posts
Member since Aug 2017
wouldn't be unlimited money, I can fab stuff up fairly easy, and have all the tools id need. just parts. only like 5 grand, is how im seeing this at the moment. and i love working on cars, and need the experience anyway, because i want to be a technician as they're called over here.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, if you have the know how and the tools necessary I'd say go for it! There's a particularly rewarding feeling after resurrecting something that was on the brink of death Expect it to be more difficult, costly and timely than your initial estimates because that's just how life goes. But keep at it and be sure to document the process! And welcome to the forum by the way!!

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 08-22-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daws0n25:

wouldn't be unlimited money

Yeah, everyone runs out eventually.

only like 5 grand, is how im seeing this at the moment.

You're willing to spend $5000, and countless hours, on a pre-'88 4-banger Fiero? Damn.

i want to be a technician as they're called over here.

You figure they're called something different in BC?
Daws0n25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daws0n25Send a Private Message to Daws0n25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick. Its a v6. not a four banger. and it was a car that used to be my dads. hes recently passed, and i tracked it down. so yeah, stay tuned, build coming soon! red 85 gt notch v6 looking forward to it. and liv4god had it right on. its just that feeling you get when you can say you saved something that was on the brink of death. especially since it has sentimental value.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2017 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it was a car that used to be my dads. hes recently passed, ... it has sentimental value.

im sixteen...

Damn, that's rough to lose your father at such a young age. I'm very sorry to hear that.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-23-2017).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2017 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dawson,
Welcome to the madness. Patrick is probably right, but if you have an attachment and enjoy the work, go for it. Be aware that once you pull the rear fenders off, you probably don't have much left for the upper frame rails, either. You'll need to look up over the wheel wells to verify. Not too hard to fix (especially if you have the skill already), but probably more important than some of the other damage.

Good luck with the project. Hopefully you can post up pictures (PIP) and share your journey.

Bob

------------------

My Build

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2017 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have space keep the parts Fieros around. They are useful.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock