Started on: 08-07-2017 09:44 AM
Replies: 15 (552 views)
Last post by: Fierosmith on 09-14-2017 01:13 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This 88 t-top I have been working on is becoming quite a job.
I was removing the p-seals yesterday and found a rusted out hole on the left rear t-top channel.
I don`t quite understand when someone runs layer upon layer of silicone caulk on something trying to seal it.
What a mess.
I`m going to remove all of the rust and silicone caulk down to the metal and get everything repaired and hopefully leak free.
Then I can re-paint it.
I found the seals are not in such good condition as I originally thought.
I nay have to go the route of Mustang or Camaro t-top seals.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you've started a thread on your new build-I enjoyed your old one (except the ending)
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the rear clip is coming off.
That`s the only way that I`m going to get to the rust that is under it.
I did discover how the t-top channels drain.
There are channels on either side that run towards the back and it looks like the water
runs on the outside of the metal framing between the quarter windows and the frame.
The unfortunate thing is that my weatherstrip is toast but I may try a couple different ones from
Mustangs or Firebirds.
If I can find something that is close to the part where the window, t-top glass and rear pillar meet, I`m not worried about
having to cut them if they are too long.
I think the best place to splice them together would be where they run on the channel that the t-top glass sits on.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started pulling the rear clip off of the 88 today.
I have only pulled a notchie clip off so I`m trying to find all of the bolts that attach the clip on the GT.
Got a little more into the t-top today.
Lots of rust on the drivers side but I think I can cut out the rot and put some new metal.
It amazes me the amount of silicone that was used to seal everything.
And because of the way it was put on I think someone else has done some of this.
I don`t think originally it had that much because I am getting into some Black sort of sealant that I would guess was the original.
I will have to either try to find the two trim pieces that go right between the t-top and the rear clip because in the back they had little clips that went into
holes to hold it in place but there was so much silicone those blades that the clips mounted on broke off.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, anyone got any ideas?
I got the rear clip on my car loose but the center nut on the roof is just turning.
I can`t seem to get any vise grips up there to hold the stud because then there is no room for the wrench.

AWautoworks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AWautoworksSend a Private Message to AWautoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Ok, anyone got any ideas?
I got the rear clip on my car loose but the center nut on the roof is just turning.
I can`t seem to get any vise grips up there to hold the stud because then there is no room for the wrench.

it just a stud that's incased in fiberglass. I have had to break the studs out of the glass before and glass them back in once the clip was off. I took a pry bar between the shell and roof and just cracked it out. not a lot of other options when it comes to that. The great thing, It never breaks the outer skin. Just the inner, so when you reglass it doesn't have to be pretty
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks, that`s what I was sort of looking at but it seemed top be in there pretty good.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I got into it a little further.
I`m going to get a local shop to make me these plates because they are about all that`s really rusted bad.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New pieces.
Just need some seam sealer to install them.
I promise you guys that I won`t keep posting every little thing I do.
I will post pics when finishing something of sort of a milestone.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem with you posting every little thing.

I'm glad to see you back in the game. I would have taken off a decade or two... actually I already have.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2017 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm glad to see you back in the game. I would have taken off a decade or two... actually I already have.

I understand fully, I was actually going to get a C-5 in about a year but I was going to keep my Fiero.
I`m still planning on getting the C-5 and was not really considering doing another car, but since the t-top came up I thought, well it will
give me something to do with cleaning the body up and re-painting the chassis with hardly no financial input.
That will keep me busy for a while.

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It`s funny you say that because my enthusiasm was short lived in building another car.
I am returning the car to whom I got it from and I am selling off a bunch of parts.
I look at pictures of my old car and keep realizing the work I put into it and I don`t really want to do it again.
At least not right now.
I will still make the products I make and I`m getting ready to start cutting out some of the ABS sill plates I have been working on.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that gt a CJB t top???
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO JOHN-WI:

Is that gt a CJB t top???

Yep, number 52 in the registry.
That`s the reason I was going to build it but even that can`t spark my interest anymore.
To my surprise I am still lamenting about my loss on my 86 GT 3800SC and I just can`t get any motivation.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
To my surprise I am still lamenting about my loss on my 86 GT 3800SC and I just can`t get any motivation.

Yes it's too soon. You need time to build your interest level back up. Or maybe it's gone forever. Either way it's too soon.
Fierosmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosmithSend a Private Message to FierosmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock