Iron duke really is bulletproof by gomezaddams
Started on: 08-06-2017 05:07 PM
Replies: 12 (670 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 08-11-2017 05:08 AM
gomezaddams

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gomezaddamsSend a Private Message to gomezaddamsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought an 88 with a "blown" motor. Test drove it and it sounded like crap but ran really good so I chanced it. Drove it 80 miles on the highway back home. Blew smoke on the hills and rattled like crazy but made it. Pulled the valve covers, and it had collapsed lifters. thought maybe id get lucky so swapped in new lifters, no that revealed even more noise underneath. But man this car runs nice! idles smooth and drives nice for a 90hp car. Sounds like a bunch of rocks in a dryer, so somethings wrong down deep in the motor, But I let my son drive it today and we both agree. It sounds like a motor that's about to blow, but it drives like a car that I wouldn't hesitate to drive to work everyday. Almost sad to be pulling the motor, to swap in the 3800sc I picked up for it.
Almost. lol
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very likely the balancer unit in bottom end is dying.
suppose to reduce vibration and is the oil pump w/ direct gearing to the crank shaft.

Even if block goes to scrap... other people may want TBI and other parts. TBI should work 87 to maybe 89-90 VIN R and U engines and DIS brick maybe more years to 91-92.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

gomezaddams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gomezaddamsSend a Private Message to gomezaddamsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know! I plan on taking it apart to see what exactly is making the noise, Once its out Ill be willing to part with the good pieces
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like Ogre said, it's probably the engine balancer. The '88 Duke has a balancer assembly which runs off the oil pump. The balancer is notorious for breaking, and taking the oil pump with it. If you keep driving the car, the oil pump will eventually break and seize up the engine.

A common fix for the '88 Duke problem is to swap in an '87 Duke. That gets rid of the problematic balancer assembly. And the '87 Duke is basically a drop-in swap.
gomezaddams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gomezaddamsSend a Private Message to gomezaddamsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh we havent been driving it. Been sitting since I got it home. Wanted to show my son what I was talking about when I said the car felt great but sounded terrible. Now that I know about that balancer assembly it makes sense. From a quick google search looks like Ill have to pull the engine to find out.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They don't call the Duke "the clattering tower of power" for nothing.

But yeah... probably the balancer.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess you find metal pieces in the oil. Brass/steel on oil filter too. So no real point to pull the pan.
Can drop engine mount bracket and oil pan in the car but is a pain. bracket bolts hold AC compressor and alternator brackets.

engine replacement or swaps most times means dropping the cradle and everything attach to it.
If all is good can do this w/o alignment but likely have to change struts etc so do that at same time then align.

See my Cave, Safe Jacking and Jacking to Clear Engine

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-07-2017).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could say mine was bullet proof. Around 1991 I had a piston ring land failure. Pontiac would not provide any assistance. Then 2 or 3 years later the block cracked. Not sure why. Engine was not overheated or over rev'd.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:
I wish I could say mine was bullet proof. Around 1991 I had a piston ring land failure. Pontiac would not provide any assistance. Then 2 or 3 years later the block cracked. Not sure why. Engine was not overheated or over rev'd.
what year?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by edfiero:
what year?[/QUOTE]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 then dealer should had replace engine under fire recall for a crack block etc.
See my Cave, Do You Recall?
recalls full text @ http://www.fieronews.net
PFF
System Bot
88cryan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my 88GT first then got an 88 duke auto almost 6 years later. The dukes really are nice driving cars imho, they keep up with traffic fine and when needed you can run them up to 80-90mph. You have to be more defensive and be smart on highway merging and passing but I have grown to like them. I kinda like the loud sewing machine sound at idle and the dramatic cummins-like shutdown when you turn them off.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2017 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88cryan:

I had my 88GT first then got an 88 duke auto almost 6 years later. The dukes really are nice driving cars imho, they keep up with traffic fine and when needed you can run them up to 80-90mph. You have to be more defensive and be smart on highway merging and passing but I have grown to like them. I kinda like the loud sewing machine sound at idle and the dramatic cummins-like shutdown when you turn them off.

If and when I decide what I'm doing, if it comes down to rebuilding the duke and putting it back with some basic power helpers.. I am going to coat the valve cover and side covers with bed liner.. I'll bet this knocks down much of the can of marbles ..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock