Fiero fatigue? by railshot
Started on: 08-04-2017 06:48 PM
Replies: 26 (757 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-08-2017 09:57 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been a huge fan and promoter for the Fiero since they first came out back in 1984, but I am starting to lose the enthusiasm I previously had for them.

Now that I am on Fiero #10, I just do not have the ambition, drive, or lust anymore to own and drive one.
Yes, I am 64 years old, and getting in and out is not as easy as it was, (I can still do it, but not quite as gracefully as when I was 35 ) but just something in me is slowly moving away from owning a Fiero.....

I still love the little buggers, and when I do eventually get in mine and drive it, it still puts a smile on my face, but I am just not as amped up as I once was.
My memories of the brand new ones I have owned are still there and living, and the 85,000 mile one I have now is a legitimate match to all those memories, but something is just not the same.

Could it be that I have changed?

I see a lot of the "old timers" here slowly getting out of the Fiero world, and I think I now know why.
It is not for lack of a love for the car, but the lack of drive to have and maintain one possibly?

Anyone else getting there with me?

------------------
There's one in every crowd, and usually it's me.
1988 Solid roof GT!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can burn out.

I have been set on full Fiero Fever and then I walk away for a period of time with limited time with the car.

This to me balances this out and brings the car back to me with fresh enthusiasium.

If you go non stop you will burn out and grow tired of any car.

I have had other okay cars and interest that help balance things out.

My car is the same car I have owned since new since this week in 1985. We have both survived an accident. Done over 100 at Indy and won many awards at shows. It cost me some insurance and min maintenance every year. We will remain together as it was my first new car. Other cars may come and go but there will always be a place for the Fiero.

Note too when I take time off the interst in public renews in the car. People forget or never have seen it are drawn to it in a new way.

As Groucho Marx once said to the woman with 13 kids. "I love my cigars to but I take them out once in a while".

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-04-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

You can burn out.

I have been set on full Fiero Fever and then I walk away for a period of time with limited time with the car.

This to me balances this out and brings the car back to me with fresh enthusiasium.

If you go non stop you will burn out and grow tired of any car.

I have had other okay cars and interest that help balance things out.

My car is the same car I have owned since new since this week in 1985. We have both survived an accident. Done over 100 at Indy and won many awards at shows. It cost me some insurance and min maintenance every year. We will remain together as it was my first new car. Other cars may come and go but there will always be a place for the Fiero.

Note too when I take time off the interst in public renews in the car. People forget or never have seen it are drawn to it in a new way.

As Groucho Marx once said to the woman with 13 kids. "I love my cigars to but I take them out once in a while".

Great Groucho quote by the way, and you know what....... maybe that is what I really need to do more of to be honest.

Like I have said, I love promoting the Fiero and all of it's great attributes, but maybe I have gotten a bit lazy about doing this.
What better way to have fun and show others what a truly unique car it truly is?

I have to be honest here, I have not driven a Fiero to a meet or car show in any capacity for well over 10 years now, so maybe it is time to bring one back out into the light.

This weekend my wife and I will be going to the State Fair here in Wisconsin, and what the heck, why not take the GT?
It may come out with a few finger prints or scratches, but who knows, someone may actually talk with me about it and others may find it interesting and pique their curiosity.

It sounds like I am overly protective, and I am, but at this point I think the public re-education about our cars trumps that.
onward to Wisconsin State Fair tomorrow!

I will report back on Sunday anything and everything that transpires..... thanks hyperv6 for the inspiration!
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey- I have noticed that my Fiero has been getting lower and lower....Used to be, I could just jump in or out without problem....Now, I have to say, "Oy-Vey" and my back, legs and even arms tend to.....hurt......is there something wrong with my car...?

(I bought it 32 years ago (1985 new) and was 25 at the time....now I am 57......and in decent shape....But not THAT decent.....)(I still think it's something wrong with the car....)
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think what you're going through is natural. I still love my Fiero, even though I've never even driven it. But I can relate in two other aspects.

When I was a teenager I would make scratch-built wooden airplane models. My dad was a pilot so I had a serious critic in the house. I think I got pretty good at it. Then I went to college, got a job, got married, had kids. I didn't pick it up again until my late 30s. I stayed with it for about five years, then the desire just died again. Maybe it will come back.

I grew up in a big family that loved water sports. We spent every summer skiing and sailing. I always told myself I needed to live near a lake once I had a family. Now that I'm back in my hometown and only two miles from the lake, I hardly ever get to the water.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:
Great Groucho quote by the way, and you know what....... maybe that is what I really need to do more of to be honest.

Like I have said, I love promoting the Fiero and all of it's great attributes, but maybe I have gotten a bit lazy about doing this.
What better way to have fun and show others what a truly unique car it truly is?

I have to be honest here, I have not driven a Fiero to a meet or car show in any capacity for well over 10 years now, so maybe it is time to bring one back out into the light.

This weekend my wife and I will be going to the State Fair here in Wisconsin, and what the heck, why not take the GT?
It may come out with a few finger prints or scratches, but who knows, someone may actually talk with me about it and others may find it interesting and pique their curiosity.

It sounds like I am overly protective, and I am, but at this point I think the public re-education about our cars trumps that.
onward to Wisconsin State Fair tomorrow!

I will report back on Sunday anything and everything that transpires..... thanks hyperv6 for the inspiration!

You just have to change it up no matter what you are doing. I love ice cream but if that is all I ate for lunch I would tire of it.

I see too many people into many cars that just over do it and just tire out and move on. My buddy does it with his64 GTO. I tell him walk way and don't sell it unless it is to me. I tell him he will never get another 64 numbers matching Tri power 4 speed goat for the $3500 he paid for this 37 years ago. Not he already let a 455 SD TA slip away for too little.

Life exspcially as you get older is about balance.

You will be happier with yourself. You will also make those around you much happier as they will have you back.

Trust me been there and not going back.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Hey- I have noticed that my Fiero has been getting lower and lower....Used to be, I could just jump in or out without problem....Now, I have to say, "Oy-Vey" and my back, legs and even arms tend to.....hurt......is there something wrong with my car...?

(I bought it 32 years ago (1985 new) and was 25 at the time....now I am 57......and in decent shape....But not THAT decent.....)(I still think it's something wrong with the car....)

I know exactly what you mean, there has to be something wrong with the car for sure!
Nice job hanging onto your GT by the way, I really wish I still had my '86 I bought new around, but I go through cars like socks it seems.

Talk about extreme opposites...... I picked this up two weekends ago so I could haul larger Fiero parts and other "stuff" like a hood I have lined up but am hesitating on, which prompted this post.

Got a great deal on it, and it runs and drives like new.

It has been a while since I have had a ZR2, almost as long as it had been since I had a Fiero, so getting into this one is not the same as I remember also... ????
Now this is my 5th ZR2, so........ there must be something wrong with both my Fiero and the ZR2...!!!!
heheheh
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my Fiero to enjoy, but also to share. Part of the commitment to Fiero ownership is taking it to shows and attending meetings. This renews your enthusiasm and refreshes your energy.

No longer are there Fiero ads, or the excitement of new car ownership; the new car experience and new style have gone. You have to find it in yourself and like-minded people to enjoy the Fiero, because the market won't provide it for you.

It is difficult, sometimes, when you're frustrated with your Fiero, and rather than support, you get a lot of negativity. So, attend some car shows. Let others see your car, and look at their cars. I'm still expecting to see you at a show, with your Fiero.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I got my Fiero to enjoy, but also to share. Part of the commitment to Fiero ownership is taking it to shows and attending meetings. This renews your enthusiasm and refreshes your energy.

No longer are there Fiero ads, or the excitement of new car ownership; the new car experience and new style have gone. You have to find it in yourself and like-minded people to enjoy the Fiero, because the market won't provide it for you.

It is difficult, sometimes, when you're frustrated with your Fiero, and rather than support, you get a lot of negativity. So, attend some car shows. Let others see your car, and look at their cars. I'm still expecting to see you at a show, with your Fiero.

Always good to hear from you tshark, but don't get the wrong impression here.....
I am not thinking about selling or getting out of Fieros, I am just wishing I had the same feelings for them I have had.
No frustrations at all with the GT, and I still think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, but my desire / drive is waning.

Funny thing is, when I sold the T-top I thought I would be sad and really miss it...... just the opposite happened.
It almost felt like a relief to not have it anymore.

That is what got me thinking about my state of mind with Fieros in general.

The one I have left I can just jump in and go anytime I feel like it without any worries about breakdowns or mechanical issues.
But I don't, and I am actually drawn more to the ZR2 now than any of our other cars / vehicles.

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 SUVs: one for myself, and one for my wife. Mine is an Avalanche, and hers is a Tahoe. They are the same year. Both have the little 5.3L V8. Both have the auto transmission. Mine is longer and heavier, and has a bed, rather than a 3rd row of seats. Hers feels peppier, and the seating position is different.

My wife had previously had some other SUVs, including a previous Tahoe. I drove her new SUV for the first month after I got it, just to get everything sorted out. I had already had my truck for several years, by that time. It was nice to drive, but we each prefer our own vehicles.

I wouldn't drive my Fiero daily. I prefer to keep it out of heavy traffic, but it doesn't have enough seats. I also don't like to drive it on gravel/dirt roads.
retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm one of the younger guys in the crowd here, but even us young guys get tired occasionally. I've also been focused on a family for the past few years so that hasn't left much time for my hobbies, but my oldest is starting to show interest in all things mechanical. He's not quite old enough to be of any real help yet, but I look forward to finishing some of my projects with him. Anyway, usually when I get tired of the Fiero, I go work on one of my other cars, or jump back into one of my other hobbies for awhile (as I get time to pursue them of course). Currently, I'm working on building new servers for my network and running ethernet through the house. Also trying to convince my wife to let me buy a 3D printer so I can make stuff for my RCs (especially my helos) and my cars. I jump around, but if I get tired, I move on and come back when I have new ideas I'd like to pursue.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Always good to hear from you tshark, but don't get the wrong impression here.....
I am not thinking about selling or getting out of Fieros, I am just wishing I had the same feelings for them I have had.
No frustrations at all with the GT, and I still think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, but my desire / drive is waning.

Funny thing is, when I sold the T-top I thought I would be sad and really miss it...... just the opposite happened.
It almost felt like a relief to not have it anymore.

That is what got me thinking about my state of mind with Fieros in general.

The one I have left I can just jump in and go anytime I feel like it without any worries about breakdowns or mechanical issues.
But I don't, and I am actually drawn more to the ZR2 now than any of our other cars / vehicles.

I have had the Fiero all these years and for now he last 8 I also had a 300 HP HHR SS.

I loved the SS but tired of it. So I sold it and almost bought a new ZR2. But I ended up buying a loaded Canyon Denali that is my new play toy. I got a better deal on a more expensive truck and it was more the truck I needed to climb curbs at the mall. I put a rear sway bar on it and made it a road handler.

I still have a Malibu for a daily driver hat keeps driving the other two fresh when I get in them.

I used to have a ZQ8 Sonoma and the Denali is as close as I can buy today.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another "old timer" here. I bought my first Fiero (an '85 GT) new, in '85. Traded it for a Firebird Formula in '88, and didn't get another Fiero until '97. I have had at least one Fiero, ever since. Currently, I have two. I don't drive them as frequently as I used to. The "newest" one, a white coupe, is up on ramps, being "upgraded". The gray fastback just doesn't get driven as frequently. Not that I don't enjoy driving it, but I have to move another car out of the way, in order to get it out of the garage. Just not worth the trouble, for a short drive. (Anyone need a nice '97 Miata?)
Also, climbing around underneath them ceased to be fun a long time ago. There are numerous things I would be doing if I had a lift, but I don't. And probably won't for several more years (which will require moving, which I'm not looking forward to.)
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Another "old timer" here. I bought my first Fiero (an '85 GT) new, in '85. Traded it for a Firebird Formula in '88, and didn't get another Fiero until '97. I have had at least one Fiero, ever since. Currently, I have two. I don't drive them as frequently as I used to. The "newest" one, a white coupe, is up on ramps, being "upgraded". The gray fastback just doesn't get driven as frequently. Not that I don't enjoy driving it, but I have to move another car out of the way, in order to get it out of the garage. Just not worth the trouble, for a short drive. (Anyone need a nice '97 Miata?)
Also, climbing around underneath them ceased to be fun a long time ago. There are numerous things I would be doing if I had a lift, but I don't. And probably won't for several more years (which will require moving, which I'm not looking forward to.)

I hear you on moving cars to get to the Fiero......
I wanted to take a drive in the GT today, so I had to move the ZR2 out to the end of the drive, back the white HHR up and park it behind the wife's grey HHR, pull the GT out onto the grass, move the HHR back into the garage, pull the GT onto the drive, then move the ZR2 over to the grassy side of the drive, and now I can finally go for a cruise..... another reason I don't drive it as much as I should.

15 minutes later you wind up with this.......

Worst part is putting it all back the way it was when I am done!
Our visit to State Fair has been postponed until Monday, so the GT gets to see the sun for the next couple of days and the HHR lives in luxury until Tuesday.

I too would do so much more with a lift. and I have even looked into those short hydraulic ones that lift maybe 24 inches or so, but I would still be on my back flopping and rolling around... like a turtle on it's back. lol

I am truly considering my retirement home as an abandoned gas station with a working lift and a trailer to live in next to it.
It will have to be on a dead end road in the middle of nowhere, but what a nice thought eh?

A little creepy now that I think about it....heheheh......(cue the horror movie music!)

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 08-05-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am truly considering my retirement home as an abandoned gas station with a working lift and a trailer to live in next to it.

And I'm sure your wife just loves this idea!

I still wish to remain a Fiero owner (although I need to cull the herd down to just my '88 Formula), but I recently picked up a '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi RHD wagon as I wanted a versatile unique car that might be fun (with 300 HP) at autocross. I've been giving it some TLC for the last six months, and even though I'm now 61, I'm enjoying learning a new platform after 20 years of pulling wrenches on my Fieros.

I only wish I could find an online forum as helpful for working on JDM Subarus as PFF is for Fiero owners. So far, nothing remotely compares.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-05-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I only wish I could find an online forum as helpful for working on JDM Subarus as PFF is for Fiero owners. So far, nothing remotely compares.

A couple of the young guys I work with are really into their Subaru's!
I mean seriously into them, so I will see where they go for advice and help.

One has had his WRX engine out and in more times than I can recall and is nearing I believe 550 hp at the moment.

Nice cars stock, and can be modified quite significantly.
Good choice on yours Patrick!
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I realize this thread describes an experience I am also having right now. Our yellow CJB Formula is fun to drive, but only so much, orginal as-is...some simple upgrades would stop the yawn forming in my mind, and open up an experience hard to find any other way. And, as our driving it has us at 98,500 miles, that 100k number is looming. I am not the type to pamper any car, even a rare one like this. So, let's make this happen all at once...toss the 2.8, due for a rebuild anyway, instead rebuild and install the GTP L67 drivetrain, harness and accessories we basically got for free, upgrade brakes and suspension together to match handling to power, and we get another 100k miles in a way better car. Boredom solved. Oh, and this is the last car I ever intend to build, there have been many, and all seem they were leading me to this package. There are some new cars that are incredibly capable, and that takes some shine off the value of these old-tech enthusiast cars, and I personally don't care. I like to remain distinctive, and our Formula satisfies that. Just needs freshening and an attitude adjustment.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me, I am just getting tired of having to work on it. I still love the car and when the gearbox died recently just before we moved house I 'nearly' gave up (lasted all of a day before I relented LOL), threw another box in it in the space of a couple of weeks while getting ready to move house to boot, and all was good. However, the inside is still a mess, whole center console/tunnel needs rebuilding, rear brakes 'might' be stuck, not sure until I jack it up and try them. Gotta pull the motor again because I think the ex manifold is cracked (sounds like a tractor). Oh, and the a/c STILL leaks. With temps in the 90s and humidity to match, I just cannot face working on it and it's way too hot to drive anywhere, so it sits there. If I could get the a/c leak sorted (been trying for years) I'd use it all the time, regardless of tractor sounds and trashed interior but I just cannot face it right now. Still cannot bring myself to sell though yet.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me, things go in phases. Sometimes I make lots of progress, other times I don't do anything for weeks at a time on my personal projects. My LS4/F40 Fiero is a blast to drive, but there are several upgrades I really want to do (paint, turbo, flex fuel conversion, camshaft swap, 3.09 F40 final drive swap, sway bars), but I can't bring myself to park the car. I know me, and once I pull it apart, it will be apart for 1+ years due to project creep.

So I haven't done anything major to the car in 2017 so far, just a few small things here and there, it is just so much fun to drive. However, I am really excited about the 3.09 final drive upgrade, so once I have the spare transmission ready to go in, I will likely take the car down long enough to do the transmission swap.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-06-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A couple of the young guys I work with are really into their Subaru's!
I mean seriously into them, so I will see where they go for advice and help.

If the forums they frequent have good info on late 90's JDM (and not necessarily just USDM) Subaru Imprezas, that would be great. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-06-2017).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2017 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem is they need everything to be "just" as good as any family econo box on the road today..
And frankly the lack of parts if painful .
The go to swap is now long in the tooth.. the 3800sc are hard to find that are not "tired" now..
The fact that no one has made an intake to bolt on a 2.8/3.1/3.4 and bolt the 3800s/c on is shocking..
This seems like it would've been done 15 years ago..
The brakes need help.. the bearing hubs were not designed to have the loads of a sticky 17" 9-11" tread . and be stuffed hard into corners..
When you add up the cost to make these into something that has the performance of the looks..
you can buy a 427h/p f body.. no waiting.. and have the support of parts to even make it better..

I didn't buy mine for performance, as it doesn't have any.. I bought it for the mpg of the 4cyl .. and I hate FWD..
Now that I'm not using it as my daily
I looked into doing a v8 swap or the 3800s/c..
The v8 swap parts the vender still thinks these cars are hot, and 1500-2000+ for an adaptor plate and mounts is a tad much..
the 3800s/c finding a good pair (engine trans) that is low miles is almost a pipe dream now.. So, you need to rebuild it.. well you don't but I don't like being on the side of the highway waiting on a tow..
After adding up the cost of the swaps, and work (no labor as I work cheap.lol) it is about what a clean c4 and a built 350(350-400hp) would be.
If you are really good a c4 and a 6.2ls w/stick can be done.. for the same money..
This is making my desire to turn my Fiero into a performance car to nill..
Don't get me started on what people with sd4 engines or parts think they are worth..

Now if I could put a new 2016 up Camaro turbo 4 in this platform.. and it not cost 15k to do it.. I'd be in like Flynn..
The bottle neck on the v8 swap, as I have a 450hp 350 here is the swap parts cost.. and the wiring on the '84 placement and no one that has an 84 with v8 having photo's of that wiring and the head/headers clearance..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-06-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Problem is they need everything to be "just" as good as any family econo box on the road today..
And frankly the lack of parts if painful .
The go to swap is now long in the tooth.. the 3800sc are hard to find that are not "tired" now..
The fact that no one has made an intake to bolt on a 2.8/3.1/3.4 and bolt the 3800s/c on is shocking..
This seems like it would've been done 15 years ago..
The brakes need help.. the bearing hubs were not designed to have the loads of a sticky 17" 9-11" tread . and be stuffed hard into corners..
When you add up the cost to make these into something that has the performance of the looks..
you can buy a 427h/p f body.. no waiting.. and have the support of parts to even make it better..

I didn't buy mine for performance, as it doesn't have any.. I bought it for the mpg of the 4cyl .. and I hate FWD..
Now that I'm not using it as my daily
I looked into doing a v8 swap or the 3800s/c..
The v8 swap parts the vender still thinks these cars are hot, and 1500-2000+ for an adaptor plate and mounts is a tad much..
the 3800s/c finding a good pair (engine trans) that is low miles is almost a pipe dream now.. So, you need to rebuild it.. well you don't but I don't like being on the side of the highway waiting on a tow..
After adding up the cost of the swaps, and work (no labor as I work cheap.lol) it is about what a clean c4 and a built 350(350-400hp) would be.
If you are really good a c4 and a 6.2ls w/stick can be done.. for the same money..
This is making my desire to turn my Fiero into a performance car to nill..
Don't get me started on what people with sd4 engines or parts think they are worth..

Now if I could put a new 2016 up Camaro turbo 4 in this platform.. and it not cost 15k to do it.. I'd be in like Flynn..
The bottle neck on the v8 swap, as I have a 450hp 350 here is the swap parts cost.. and the wiring on the '84 placement and no one that has an 84 with v8 having photo's of that wiring and the head/headers clearance..

If you decide to swap and have a good 84 2.5 I would be interested. I have an 84 automoda convertible with a tired 2.5.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2017 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

If you decide to swap and have a good 84 2.5 I would be interested. I have an 84 automoda convertible with a tired 2.5.

My Indy was replaced under warranty.. the 84 is long gone.. haven't looked for numbers on it, but was told it was done in '85
litespd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the feeling....

My 86 GT was my every weekend thing. If I wasn't working on it, I was taking it to car shows. It was parked in my garage, and it only took a minute to hop in, back it out, and go for a drive anytime the urge hit me.

After a while, I got burned out on car shows. So, the car didn't get driven as much, but I still took it out for club events, etc. Then, I decided to trade my pickup in on a '99 Mustang GT. Having owned several Mustangs over the years, I had the urge to own another one. The Mustang was my daily driver, but it was in very nice shape. I decided that I wanted to put it in the garage at night, so I found a storage unit that wasn't too far away, and the Fiero found a new home. I drove it even less then...it was harder to hop in the car, drive out to where it was, pull the Fiero out and the Mustang in, and then go for a drive, only to do it all over again when I got done. So, eventually, it got to where the Fiero hardly ever left the storage unit.

Then, my wife got a new car. Her old Grand Prix became my daily driver, as it got around MUCH better in the snow and ice of winter than the Mustang did...and so, the Mustang ended up in the far side of the garage, and slowly, started to suffer the same fate as the Fiero. The Mustang was "packed" in the garage, surrounded by "stuff" that I had no other place for. It became harder and harder just to get it out, and it was just easier to let it sit. Over 4 years, I put less than 100 miles on the Mustang...and even less on the Fiero.

A couple of years ago, I went out to the storage unit to start the Fiero and let it warm up, let the fluids circulate, etc. I went to back it out, and it was obvious that the front brakes had frozen up from lack of use. A friend, Sluppy123, was looking for a test mule for some brake upgrades he was working on, and so I offered him the use of my car if he'd come and trailer it to his shop, and in return, he would fix the brakes. He eventually ended up completely rebuilding the suspension along with the brakes, and when he finally had it done, I drove to his house and picked it up, and drove it home. It was a great drive, and I realized how much I had missed driving the car. I got it home, washed the bugs off of the front of it, then drove it over to the storage unit and parked it inside.

I didn't touch it for another year and a half. It was just easier to let it sit than to go out and get it and take it for a drive. I finally got it out, got it licensed, and drove it, but since that day, it's sat once again. I keep telling myself that I need to go out and get it and take it for a long drive, but I just never get around to it. I did finally pull the Mustang out a couple of months ago with the idea of leaving it out of the garage so it would be easier to just hop in and drive, and have driven it a few times, but most times it just sits out in front of the house.

I've told myself that if I didn't drive them more this year, then it was time to put them up for sale. I also have a very nice '82 Kawasaki LTD 1000 motorcycle that has just sat in my garage for the past three years...I should sell it, too. But for some reason, I just haven't been able to do it.

Many years ago, I had a '67 Shelby GT350. I bought it needing restoration, and in the 11 years I owned it, I was just never able to scrape together enough money to get it done, so I sold it. I knew as soon as the new owner drove it away that I had made a mistake, and to this day, I regret selling it. I know that I'll never be able to afford another Shelby. As far as a Fiero, or a regular Mustang goes, that's not the case....but I think that my sale of that Shelby has affected me in selling other things that I really like, but just don't use like I should. I know that maybe I don't use them...but that I have them, should I ever want to use them.

So much for my babble...just know that there are others out here that share your feelings of being burned out/ tired of the car, and have lost that excitement of owning it, but not to the point where we want to sell them.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

I know the feeling....

My 86 GT was my every weekend thing. If I wasn't working on it, I was taking it to car shows. It was parked in my garage, and it only took a minute to hop in, back it out, and go for a drive anytime the urge hit me.

After a while, I got burned out on car shows. So, the car didn't get driven as much, but I still took it out for club events, etc. Then, I decided to trade my pickup in on a '99 Mustang GT. Having owned several Mustangs over the years, I had the urge to own another one. The Mustang was my daily driver, but it was in very nice shape. I decided that I wanted to put it in the garage at night, so I found a storage unit that wasn't too far away, and the Fiero found a new home. I drove it even less then...it was harder to hop in the car, drive out to where it was, pull the Fiero out and the Mustang in, and then go for a drive, only to do it all over again when I got done. So, eventually, it got to where the Fiero hardly ever left the storage unit.

Then, my wife got a new car. Her old Grand Prix became my daily driver, as it got around MUCH better in the snow and ice of winter than the Mustang did...and so, the Mustang ended up in the far side of the garage, and slowly, started to suffer the same fate as the Fiero. The Mustang was "packed" in the garage, surrounded by "stuff" that I had no other place for. It became harder and harder just to get it out, and it was just easier to let it sit. Over 4 years, I put less than 100 miles on the Mustang...and even less on the Fiero.

A couple of years ago, I went out to the storage unit to start the Fiero and let it warm up, let the fluids circulate, etc. I went to back it out, and it was obvious that the front brakes had frozen up from lack of use. A friend, Sluppy123, was looking for a test mule for some brake upgrades he was working on, and so I offered him the use of my car if he'd come and trailer it to his shop, and in return, he would fix the brakes. He eventually ended up completely rebuilding the suspension along with the brakes, and when he finally had it done, I drove to his house and picked it up, and drove it home. It was a great drive, and I realized how much I had missed driving the car. I got it home, washed the bugs off of the front of it, then drove it over to the storage unit and parked it inside.

I didn't touch it for another year and a half. It was just easier to let it sit than to go out and get it and take it for a drive. I finally got it out, got it licensed, and drove it, but since that day, it's sat once again. I keep telling myself that I need to go out and get it and take it for a long drive, but I just never get around to it. I did finally pull the Mustang out a couple of months ago with the idea of leaving it out of the garage so it would be easier to just hop in and drive, and have driven it a few times, but most times it just sits out in front of the house.

I've told myself that if I didn't drive them more this year, then it was time to put them up for sale. I also have a very nice '82 Kawasaki LTD 1000 motorcycle that has just sat in my garage for the past three years...I should sell it, too. But for some reason, I just haven't been able to do it.

Many years ago, I had a '67 Shelby GT350. I bought it needing restoration, and in the 11 years I owned it, I was just never able to scrape together enough money to get it done, so I sold it. I knew as soon as the new owner drove it away that I had made a mistake, and to this day, I regret selling it. I know that I'll never be able to afford another Shelby. As far as a Fiero, or a regular Mustang goes, that's not the case....but I think that my sale of that Shelby has affected me in selling other things that I really like, but just don't use like I should. I know that maybe I don't use them...but that I have them, should I ever want to use them.

So much for my babble...just know that there are others out here that share your feelings of being burned out/ tired of the car, and have lost that excitement of owning it, but not to the point where we want to sell them.

Great to read that others have taken the same path as me and feel the same as I do.
I will never want to sell the GT, but I sure do feel bad not driving it like I should be.

I know that if I don't drive it at least once a month, many things will need unnecessary attention when I finally do want to, so that is a must for me no matter how much work it is to get at it.
I am lucky in that I only have to move a few cars to drive it, so at least that is in my favor for now.

During the winter months here, I make a point of at least starting it up and backing it out of the garage and back in.
A whopping 20 foot drive, but it does help keep things loose and free, and usually by February I am itching to go for a cruise again.... at least that is the way it was with the T-top I sold recently.
I think the winter months will make me want to be back in the saddle again, and to be honest, they are fun little cars to have and drive.

Funny thing happened today, the wife said she would rather take the pickup to the fair tomorrow instead of the GT...... looks like she may be feeling like I am about it now, so I need to at least take a nice long trip in it soon.

Thinking about a run out west to the Mississippi river before labor day.
Around 4 hours one way, and looking forward to it.
Lots of nice back roads and small towns to explore along the way.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You just need

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

For me, I am just getting tired of having to work on it. I still love the car and when the gearbox died recently just before we moved house I 'nearly' gave up (lasted all of a day before I relented LOL), threw another box in it in the space of a couple of weeks while getting ready to move house to boot, and all was good. However, the inside is still a mess, whole center console/tunnel needs rebuilding, rear brakes 'might' be stuck, not sure until I jack it up and try them. Gotta pull the motor again because I think the ex manifold is cracked (sounds like a tractor). Oh, and the a/c STILL leaks. With temps in the 90s and humidity to match, I just cannot face working on it and it's way too hot to drive anywhere, so it sits there. If I could get the a/c leak sorted (been trying for years) I'd use it all the time, regardless of tractor sounds and trashed interior but I just cannot face it right now. Still cannot bring myself to sell though yet.

Everybody needs more than one. If one needs work you can drive the other.

Have you found your ac leak with dye?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock