Anybody run a v6 without the muff? by shemdogg
Started on: 08-02-2017 12:39 AM
Replies: 33 (601 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-13-2017 02:17 PM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres a version of the f40 that has side exhaust, contemplating doing it on mine. Anybody running straight pipe after the cat? If so, how loud is it? I think my car sounds kinda wimpy. I heard a real ferrari go by the other day, thought it was a crappy running honda w a fart can, i looked and it was a new ferrari. Sounded like crap

shem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh man, I thought it was just 16 year olds that wanna remove their mufflers.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing the muffler and keeping the cat should sound good. One of mine has the cat removed, but still has the muffler. Sounds good if you don't need to pass smog. From what I've seen, removing the muffler and retaining the cat will result in a similar sound, with the bonus of smog legality Should result in a more muscular tone without becoming to loud or annoying.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 08-02-2017).]

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup I'm not 16 but I run without a cat and it sounds great no complaints from anyone.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's going to be subjective. For example, I personally think running without a muffler (just the catalyst) sounds like crap. It's also loud. But a muffler with no catalyst is tolerable, as long as the muffler is halfway decent.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an 85GT that had a converter but no muffler. One of my neighbors said he could hear me a mile away as I hit the main highway. It is loud, even when coming out the rear of the car.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies fellas, I may hack off the muff to check the sound. Def something ill have to do before paint

shem
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My ZR1 Corvette had cats, dual mufflers and dual resonators (so 4 mufflers) I took them all off except for the cats and ran new tailpipes from the cat to the dual slightly baffled tips. Sounded great and only a few decibels louder than it was stock. I dont know why they bothered to put any mufflers on them at all.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unbolt the two spring bolts off the downpipe that runs off the manifold; the pipe that has the catalytic converter... I think it sounds sinister... Really loud though. Make sure you don't drive in a crowded neighborhood in the middle of the night or you'll wake everyone up! Haha

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I would not run without a muffler. The exhaust would be extremely loud. At the very least I would use a non-restrictive Spintech. Running without a muffler would also make the car a police magnet and you would not gain any horsepower. Don't they also check for missing CATs in Kalifornia? IMO, the risk vs reward is just not there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure why age comes in to removing mufflers.

I am 45, drive a Miata with one cat removed, and the other gutted, and have an LS4 Fiero GT with no mufflers, no cats, and headers.

Perhaps the old adage is true, if its too loud, well you know the rest.

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

busa_powered

479 posts
Member since Oct 2014

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Personally I would not run without a muffler. The exhaust would be extremely loud. At the very least I would use a non-restrictive Spintech. Running without a muffler would also make the car a police magnet and you would not gain any horsepower. Don't they also check for missing CATs in Kalifornia? IMO, the risk vs reward is just not there.

Not true, I had a stock 87 GT with the muffler removed and it sounded great, and it didn't attract any police.

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't they also check for missing CATs in Kalifornia?

Not that I know of. If you don't need to pass smog you are fine. Mine has been off pretty much as long as I have owned the car.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neither one of my Fieros has a muffler, but resonator tips, so like glass packs, my GT has two duel tips and a "vacuum driven centrifugal muffling device" (IE: turbo) that helps quite it down a bit.
My Quad4 has one dual tip and I had to block off one of them as it was so loud. It is still loud, really loud.
When I uncap it (open both tips) my 2.3L is louder than V8s.

If you want a good loud sound I would recommend at least a glass pack, good throaty sound.
But find a way to add back in the muffler as Cali are SMOG nazis, so it will pass SMOG when you have to test it.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in a fierrari the cops dont bother me. I said I was planning on taking out the muff only, the cat will stay. Muffs arent part of smog. Everythings welded together so id hafta have a clamp to put it back if I did try it. Ive had glasspacks before they sound good. I could fab up the side boxes pretty easily. I ran my mustang w just the long tubes and it sounded stupid monstrous i loved it. If it pisses people off too bad, im doing it for me not them.

thanks for the replies!
shem
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a T-top Formula with a cat, no muffler, and twin Hooker resonator tips. It sounded "mean", but it was obnoxious.
It droned so badly at 2000-3000 RPM that you could not carry on a conversation with the windows down. The resonance would plug up your ears. (Kind of defeated the reason for having T-tops.)
When I drove it to work, I could leave a trail of screaming car alarms behind me, in the parking garage.

A few years later, I tried a single straight through chambered muffler, on a different V6 Fiero. Same deal. The "thrum" was obnoxious. Only stayed on the car for a week or two.

A lot of people think that a car sounds good (or at least "okay") as long as it "talks" when you hammer it, and doesn't make your ears bleed, or get you pulled over.
I find that the drone, at cruising speed, is hugely annoying.

I should add that my 4.9 has a 2.5" system, through a cat and a single glasspack, in the stock Fiero configuration, and out through a single C6 resonated tip. It's loud, but it sounds good.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-02-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

I am not sure why age comes in to removing mufflers.

Perhaps the old adage is true, if its too loud, well you know the rest.

No, I don't know the rest. Fill me in.

I tease Shem with a joke (I'm sure he didn't mind) and some people get all bent out of shape. Talk about being insecure! Thanks for the negs.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oh man, I thought it was just 16 year olds that wanna remove their mufflers.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2017 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me help ya Patrick!

My Wife is more of a "tiny v8", but no muff. It sounds amazing.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 08-02-2017).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in early 90s I bought the Fiero Store muffler eliminator kit. It was just a cherry bomb and two resonator tips. I also had no cat. It sounded very nice but was on the loud side. For daily driver I would say not nice. Once it rusted I remember how happy I was when I put the stock system back (no cat). My current V8 setup is louder but hey, it is a V8 sound and I only use it now for car shows and cruises.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat i finally got the v6(roman numeral) joke lmao! Thats in another thread buddy lol

Yeah id like some motor growl but hate the drone at freeway speeds. Had flowmasters on my old truck and around town it was awesome, on the freeway it f%$king sucked. Also everyone else in town had flowmasters so everytime a car went by I thought my truck was being stolen lol

shem
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mines got a cracked manifold and it sounds like a tractor! Can't imagine what it's sound like without a muffler!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is useless without video

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

This thread is useless without video

I don't have a video just getting the exhaust sound, but in this one the third car to drive by has no cat. No muffler, but retaining cat should end up louder, but similar tone as far as I know.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post a video this weekend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A fairly large glass pack can make the engine sound "bigger" IMO.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured out an automatic dump pipe my friend added to his fiero, quite at idle and cruising but LOUD when he would step on it.
It was a good setup.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I figured out an automatic dump pipe my friend added to his fiero, quite at idle and cruising but LOUD when he would step on it.
It was a good setup.

That sounds awesome! (literally and metaphorically speaking) What did you do to get that to work? Pictures?
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://youtu.be/FK3TGeF1agg

Example of Ocelot exhaust w/free flow muffler, cat delete.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-10-2017 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

It was a good setup.

Sounds cool. Automatic, like a flap on springs, or?
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Fiero Stores Ocelot system with a Rodney Dickman low restriction cat. My Fiero has a nice purr that gets angrier as I accelerate. While your at it, I think the best exhaust flow improvement is honing out the nasty restrictions in the exhaust manifolds.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In '86 I was working in a muffler shop when a friend got a new GT, the first thing we did was cut the muffler off and make a y to connect the tail pipes, sounded great, ran less great... (needed a custom chip to run right, didn't know that at the time.) within a month, I put the muffler back on...

Joe
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

I think the best exhaust flow improvement is honing out the nasty restrictions in the exhaust manifolds.

Absolutely! Anyone who alters the exhaust system trying to "improve" the sound is only doing a half-ass job if they don't remove those awful OEM exhaust manifold restrictions. The Y-pipe should be done as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock