Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Time to replace my V6 exhaust manifold...yeah the one next to the window. :(

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Time to replace my V6 exhaust manifold...yeah the one next to the window. :( by robert1234
Started on: 07-31-2017 07:07 PM
Replies: 9 (212 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 07-31-2017 09:10 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question?
Can I pull things and tilt the engine to get to the manifold? Also, there is one rusted bolt that may need drilled out.
Can I do it without pulling the 2.8 ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-31-2017).]

wgpierce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes and yes. This tool will be your friend if you have to drill anything:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=272

My advise though is never to use a screw extractor, just drill it out and retap. If you miss and hit the threads, helicoild it and move on. If you break an extractor in the head you will WISH you had followed this advice
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the jig already. Yahoo, it can be done without pulling. Thats what I need, a Pat on the back. LOL

wgpierce , thanks for the advice. I will not use an extractor. I'll for sure drill and tap.

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 07-31-2017).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can do it without pulling the engine. I just did the manifolds on one of my Formulas and had to deal with 2 broken studs....not fun.

At the very least you need to remove the dogbone and the rear cradle bolts. With a jack under the cradle and the bolts out you can lower the cradle several inches....it may be enough to get you the access you need.

I had to remove the y-pipe as well as the entire exhaust system to get enough room to work on those broken studs. Luckily there was about an inch of stud sticking out and I was able to weld a nut on them and unscrew them. I also had to loosen the AC compressor as well as remove the shifter cables so it would drop down further.

Definitely not a fun job. Just take your time and you'll figure it out.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 07-31-2017).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any suggestion on what to use to drill with. Do I need a right angle attachment or something?
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest pulling the head to work on it on a bench.

The head can be removed from the engine while it's still in the car.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

Any suggestion on what to use to drill with. Do I need a right angle attachment or something?

Yes.

Some images and description of what I went through Here. It's a b!tch of a job. (Robert, read through the whole thread... and possibly save yourself a ton of grief.)

In retrospect... if I had to do it again (drilling out broken exhaust manifold bolts), I might pull the head instead.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-31-2017).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I just came back in from looking at it with flashlight and yes, pulling the head looks to be the best option. There's 2 bolts that are very bad rusted off.
Also, I can take my time and not break my back.

Awesome info everyone. Where would we be without the forum. I'd be totally lost.

Very much appreciated !

Sorry for the crap you went thru Pat, but that thread really helps keep me out of trouble.

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 07-31-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have access to a welder, I would weld nuts to them. The heat from the welding process helps break the bolt loose and the nut gives you a good place to get a wrench.

Much, much faster than any of the other methods and had a higher degree of success.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock