1986 trunk light switch by tom.martin55
Started on: 07-29-2017 09:08 AM
Replies: 10 (159 views)
Last post by: tom.martin55 on 07-30-2017 08:28 AM
tom.martin55

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom.martin55Send a Private Message to tom.martin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a trunk light yesterday, plugged it in and it works, ALL THE TIME! Where is the switch that turns it off? According to the schematic, White wire is hot always, and black shorts to ground to make the circuit, just like most dome lights, but without tearing the wiring harness apart and tracing individual wires, If I could just find the switch, I think I could fix it. Thanks in advance for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine compartment light is on when the decklid is open.
tom.martin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom.martin55Send a Private Message to tom.martin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup, but it won't go off when I close the deck lid. That's why I'm trying to find the switch.
VOS1319

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VOS1319Send a Private Message to VOS1319Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's in the same place as my old '84, it will be mounted on the left side of the rear wall of the engine compartment, (looking at it in the normal way, from the back, facing forward). It is a small, plunger type switch that is pushed down by the closed deck. It may be worn (I put a rubber tube cap on mine to get it to go down far enough), broken, faulty (won't break the circuit no matter how much it's pushed), or there may be a problem with the bracket itself, (maybe bent down, it's just a hole in an "L" shaped piece of metal). Hope this helps! Victor
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch is on the lid, part of the latch. You'll see a little black tab that moves in and out.
VOS1319

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VOS1319Send a Private Message to VOS1319Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You didn't say if it was the front or the back lid! The front deck switch on both my Fieros ('84 and '88) is a plunger near the latch. If the small plunger is not there, look for the hole, it may have been knocked out. Good Luck! Victor
tom.martin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom.martin55Send a Private Message to tom.martin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is the rear. I will look close at the latch to see if I can find it. A sincere thank you for all the replies.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's so close to the latch that it's ON it. Look at the slit in the latch and you'll see the little black tab vipirine refers to that comes into contact with the loop on the trunk well, when you close the deck. Operate it with your finger to test it.
tom.martin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom.martin55Send a Private Message to tom.martin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup. that's exactly what I did, and the light went out. "I love it when a plan comes together." Now I am in the process of replacing the front harness with the later headlight motors and controls. Again, thank you all for the help.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you need a module for that Gen 2 system, let me know.
tom.martin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tom.martin55Send a Private Message to tom.martin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got one with the harness, but thanx!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock