Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How do you know the difference between a standard 1988 rack and a GT rack?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How do you know the difference between a standard 1988 rack and a GT rack? by Proud88GT
Started on: 07-19-2017 01:09 PM
Replies: 9 (393 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 08-01-2017 10:00 PM
Proud88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Proud88GTClick Here to visit Proud88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Proud88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How would someone know if they have a standard rack instead of the GT rack from 1988.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're all the same.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. When I replaced mine, they sold me a ”standard” '88 rack for a coupe, as opposed to a ”performance” rack for a GT. I placed both racks side by side, and turned the steering from lock to lock. They were identical.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you read contemporary documents from 1988 there was talk of two different racks. They were having issues with the power steering on the GT rack and talked of putting the regular rack on the GT. Fast forward almost 30 years and we can't find evidence that there was two different racks. Evidently they put the same rack on all 88s for whatever reason.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What diffrences are there in other years?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone on here claimed to have mounted one in place of the other. I don't recall if he went older or newer, but it was not a direct bolt-in replacement, although from what he said, it was fairly minor. Several people claimed it wasn't possible to do what he did.

I believe that the rack bolts to the front crossmember, which is different between years. Obviously the tie rods are different lengths, and the control arms are different.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What diffrences are there in other years?

Pre-88 GTs (and maybe the 84 Indy) had a rack with fewer turns lock-to-lock than the other pre-88 models.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Pre-88 GTs (and maybe the 84 Indy) had a rack with fewer turns lock-to-lock than the other pre-88 models.

And the mounting is different.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

And the mounting is different.

The mounting is the same for all pre-88 racks.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The mounting is the same for all pre-88 racks.

Opps I thought it said 88 Vs others.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock