Do you have a painted interior? by viperine
Started on: 07-18-2017 09:41 PM
Replies: 16 (808 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 12-20-2017 07:46 PM
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping to gain some ideas and insight into painted interiors. I'm not new to the task, my 86 GT has been converted to black very successfully (easiest color to do, of course) for all but the headliner and sunvisors, which are on hold until I swap out the solid roof for a sunroof.

I had long held off on customizing my 87 GT, which has been kept original except for the Pontiac monsoon radio. Now I am at a crossroads, I am going to pull the dash to properly install the performance sound system I have laying around for it. So I will have the dash out and if it ever gets painted, now is the time.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I want to see others' ideas because the black interior was simply "cover it all!" Now, however, I am choosing a different color that will most assuredly look hideous if it all matched. Basically I am going to leave some things the factory color to help add some contrast and complexion.

All pictures and ideas are welcome, but I want emphasis on efforts that show you pulled the dash, rather than those who paint random bezels the body color. I see this a lot, and it's not what I am trying to achieve.

Post away! Hopefully I will add my own finished result soon.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you pulling the dash to put in the performance sound? That's not required.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

Why are you pulling the dash to put in the performance sound? That's not required.

To access the clips that the wiring is supposed to run through, basically. Overkill, but it only takes me about 20 minutes to pull a dash and gives me a chance to clear any rodent debris.

I'm also going to put in a nicer dash than what I have in there now.

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 07-18-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably not what you are looking for, but I painted the dash, door panels, gauge clusters and HVAC surround... back to stock. I still need to do the A & B-pillars and head liner (fierostore ABS one).

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful job, FieroGuru. May I ask whose paint you used?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd use SEM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Beautiful job, FieroGuru. May I ask whose paint you used?

I used the Fiero Store paint.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used the SEM products with good results but you have to ensure you use the soap, prep, paint, and clear
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2017 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
used FS paint as well and just primed the surface with clear automotive adhesion promoter. worked perfectly!
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2017 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prep is more important on interior than on body. Everyplace, down into the grain and nooks and crannies, HAS to be cleaned, dewaxed, washed exceptionally well. Then use the RIGHT paint products, some require a prewash chemical that opens the pores on the vinyl . Follow the manufacturer instructions. For best wear like on seat areas, finish with a clear topcoat. SEM is great, Ive even used it for cloth headliners. I did the interior of one of my Mercedes SLs that was their imitation leather and it held up well on dash, doors and seats for years as a d aily driver.
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just trying to get an idea of how many SEM aerosol (rattle) cans of one color it would take to do both seats, both inner door skins (assuming they where all vinyl with no carpet) steering wheel, firewall and headliner? I have to special order my color ahead of time because they don't sell it retail and I would rather not guess if someone has a handle on the amount of cans it would take.

Thanks,

-Van
PFF
System Bot
migs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really want to repaint my 86 2 tone tan interior, however I contacted the FS and they responded by telling me they are no longer ordering the interior paints and sent me 2 different brown swatches of what they have left neither of which is the color I need which is the lighter tan. Anyone have any suggestions of something from SEM that is close or am I at the point where I have to find a custom mix myself or go to a different color?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try through these guys, I haven't used them but maybe cust service can help, or get a few cans that look close eyeballing? They have SEM:
http://www.vinylpro.com/
/
http://www.vinylpro.com/page/1374245
Harold James Kie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had painted my interior and I used the vinyl paint that I purchased at an auto parts store. I did not car for the darker color of the tan interior as it was way too close to olive drab for me. The I matched the Camel Tan and it lasted for many years without peeling but the surface preparation is the most important part.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to see how your interior is shaping up John. I am curious to see what you come up with.

I am planning on doing only the vinyl areas of my interior but they will all be one color. I will be using SEM Color Coat or Marine Vinyl Coat. Still haven't decided yet. My plan is to use SEM Soap (39362) and SEM Vinyl Prep (38343) before I apply the color. I do not plan on using any clear coat.

I wouldn't have had to redo my interior if my new LED interior lights weren't so bright .

Best Regards,
-Van
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No interior updates for me so far, as I've decided to paint the car black first, instead. My ideas for the interior remain, and I hope it'll be a unique knockout for a fiero.
Glad to hear the blinding LED's are working for ya!
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

No interior updates for me so far, as I've decided to paint the car black first, instead. My ideas for the interior remain, and I hope it'll be a unique knockout for a fiero.
Glad to hear the blinding LED's are working for ya!

Well I am looking forward to seeing what you have in mind. Give me some ideas man!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock