I may have jumped the gun a bit... by bjm362
Started on: 07-13-2017 06:52 PM
Replies: 21 (490 views)
Last post by: bjm362 on 07-14-2017 11:07 PM
bjm362

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking at Fiero's as a possible future purchase. Many of my searches have lead me to this Forum. I feel like information gained here may help me make a better decision when the opportunity arises, so I went ahead and joined. I am glad to be here, I hope it is ok I joined before buying one!

I do have one question not answered in searches that I can ask now that someone here might can answer.
About how much horsepower can be utilized before creating front end lift/wheelie problems on launch without having to install wheelie bars. BTW, I intend to purchase a loaded out GT, so that would be the model in question...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjm362:

About how much horsepower can be utilized before creating front end lift/wheelie problems on launch without having to install wheelie bars.

Most of us have found that anything over about 150 HP in a Fiero causes no end of problems with the front tires lifting on launch. There's just no weight on the front end. I myself have put three Fieros on their roofs because of not utilizing wheelie bars. Be careful out there.

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy S#$% hope u had a roll bar pat! What kinda motor you have in there to make that kinda power? Just picturing a fiero doing a wheelie- bad ass!

shem
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go all the way back to the home page and scroll to the bottom, you will see a notchback featured with 502 hp. No wheelie bars on it. Maybe that can be your starting point in your engine build. A bigger question might be how much HP can you apply before your transmission decides to de-part the scene.

Welcome.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Holy S#$% hope u had a roll bar pat!

No roll bar Shem, but I got tired of needing to get out to flip the car back over. So I now drive around with one of these tied to the roof.

It's great, the Fiero just bounces back onto its feet!
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do have one question not answered in searches that I can ask now that someone here might can answer.
About how much horsepower can be utilized before creating front end lift/wheelie problems on launch without having to install wheelie bars. BTW, I intend to purchase a loaded out GT, so that would be the model in question...

Kidding aside the answer is ALOT. I have a loaded GT, with an LT1 in the back pushing 280 ish.. have not had it on the dyno yet.. It pulls the front up but I have never felt like the wheels leave the ground. As stated the transmissions are the weak point, then the axles and then the issue is traction from the tires and bending of the frame due to torque. I do have a cool picture of a GT pulling the fronts off the ground on a strip but I am not sure there is not some photo shop in that one.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Most of us have found that anything over about 150 HP in a Fiero causes no end of problems with the front tires lifting on launch. There's just no weight on the front end. I myself have put three Fieros on their roofs because of not utilizing wheelie bars. Be careful out there.

I can't tell if you are joking or serious, but you are saying that 10 hp over a stock V6 causes front tires lifting on launch? If you are serious I'm going to have to call BS on that.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 99% sure Patrick is joking. He would never drive a Fiero without wheelie bars installed.

Welcome to the forum, BJM.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I can't tell if you are joking or serious...

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guys running in the 10's and 9's don't have wheelie bars.
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an awesome forum! You guys had great answers both serious and joking! Now I just need to put enough money together to get me a Fiero and get started!!!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is an awesome forum! You guys had great answers both serious and joking!

Joking? We've got no time for kidding around here!

Welcome to PFF.
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the things I found through many searches was this video.
While this guy is killing everything off the line, it is my observation he is "Soft Launching" to keep wheel spin and the nose down....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTNQ9jAAiU

[This message has been edited by bjm362 (edited 07-14-2017).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of the things I found through many searches was this video.
While this guy is killing everything off the line, it is my observation he is "Soft Launching" to keep wheel spin and the nose down....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTNQ9jAAiU

Not sure what you mean by "soft launch" A lot of 3800Sc Auto Fiero's launch similarly. The typical 3800Sc Auto is a starting line rocket.
Some setups are much better that others but in general you shouldn't have problems launching.
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
since most of the weight is above the wheels delivering the power... there's "little" inertia pulling the front off the ground.
it just squats and goes.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

since most of the weight is above the wheels delivering the power... there's "little" inertia pulling the front off the ground.
it just squats and goes.

Yeah it wheelies about as well as a Lambo.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-14-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Yeah it wheelies about as well as a Lambo.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-14-2017).]

bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Not sure what you mean by "soft launch" A lot of 3800Sc Auto Fiero's launch similarly. The typical 3800Sc Auto is a starting line rocket.
Some setups are much better that others but in general you shouldn't have problems launching.

Yeah, I probably could have said that clearer... What I mean is I think he is launching at a bit lower rpm than would be ideal. Of course as you and I both pointed out it is still a monster off the line! Where he is launching at though it does keep wheel spin minimized and it rocks back pretty well. I may even be wrong on the reasoning, but I think if he launched with a bit higher rpms it would launch even harder...if he can keep the nose down and not lose too much grip! So actually as his car is set up he may be launching at "ideal" rpm for the car. He is out launching everybody and nobody is significantly gaining on him until he hits the brakes.
I think another fun thing to do now that I am a member of this forum is use the search engine to look up posts from each of you that responded. I bet I find some very cool cars and threads!!!

bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bjm362

91 posts
Member since Jul 2017

Originally posted by Patrick:

That is an amazing looking machine!!!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a huge big blower Fiero that has been at Daytona several times. I think that the last time I saw it the color was orange. It may or may not have had wheelie bars on it. If I can find one I will post a photo.

Nelson
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video of the orange Fiero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65-VhSWspVE
PFF
System Bot
bjm362

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjm362Send a Private Message to bjm362Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Here's a video of the orange Fiero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65-VhSWspVE

Thanks for the video!
There is a lot of "individuality" in the different builds and modifications. I am setting a goal of being able to purchase a Fiero within 1 year.
From the information I have gathered thus far both here and in other searches the possibilities are nearly endless depending on the budget!
I guess I would like to list some of the different approaches that interest me personally.

I see a couple of different "To (insert explitive) with the budget" approaches that would make sense to me.
A Fiero GT and Gm LTG turbo I4 with an LTG ECU and LTG 6 speed manual, or a GM LF4 TT V6 (Transmission undecided).
The desire to do one with an LF4 was what prompted the question about wheelies...

The Supercharged Buick V6 (Ala Pontiac Grand Prix GTP) especially a gen III, approach is very attractive too!

An approach that makes more sense budget wise would be a Fiero GT with a LA1 3400 V6.

To be honest though I could get a lot of enjoyment out of a stock 86-88 Fiero GT with a factory 5speed and even more if it had T-tops.... Most desirable would be an 88 GT because it finally got the suspension it was designed with... If I had that, I might be tempted to leave it "as is"!

At the moment, I am just dreaming.

[This message has been edited by bjm362 (edited 07-14-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock