Low profile oil filter relacation parts by 2.5
Started on: 07-13-2017 01:53 PM
Replies: 13 (885 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-20-2017 11:37 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just some guy's video and not a Fiero.....but it shows a part that looks pretty low profile and I wonder if it would work for V8 Fiero installs where you need to clear the starter.

DO they not make it for a 350? I can' tseem to find one for the correct thread...

Isnt the correct engine thread size on a smallblock chevy 13/16 - 16 for the oil filter threads right?
Derale and TransDapt make them.
I see everything but Chevy 350 thread?

ford/dodge
http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15746/10002/-1

gm 3.1, etc..
https://www.summitracing.co...evrolet/model/camaro

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-13-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or maybe these with adapting elbows?

Trans-Dapt Performance Spin-On Oil Filter Bypass Adapters
Summit Racing Part Number:
TRD-1022

-

Perma-Cool Bolt-On Oil Filter Adapters
Summit Racing Part Number:
PRM-114

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-13-2017).]

fiero4.3L

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero4.3LClick Here to visit fiero4.3L's HomePageSend a Private Message to fiero4.3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tra...ash=item36149340b8:g oIAAOSw32lYywov&vxp=mtr

There is a narrow range of adjustment as to where the fittings can be and not have a hose against the exhaust. The fittings may line up and they might not when the adapter is tight. It is also possible to shim or mill the gasket channel so it will line up.

I don't know if you saw my post in the topic about a good or bad deal, but that pic shows more room than normal due to the choice of a gear reduction starter with fully adjustable clocking.
It might be possible to use elbows with such a starter. I didn't try that combo.

I thought you already had a v8 fiero based on the idler bearing topic.

[This message has been edited by fiero4.3L (edited 07-13-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use the quad outlet one, but it takes some work. The thread is not right for the SBC, so you can buy the spin on filter kit for the SBC as it comes with several thread options. From there the Ford one will spin on, but then it will interfere with the starter mount face plate. So a little grinding here and there and the right starter (it was a summit brand one) and it works.

Here is another one I did that was an Archie swap, but converted to use the 142 tooth ring gear, so the started needed to be even closer to the engine (Archies flywheel is 153 tooth). There was no room to use the center port, so the oil pressure hole on the side of the block was drilled and tapped to accept a larger fitting.

Another modification I like to do is to machine the adapter to accept an oil filter gasket (forget which one, but it was an off the shelf filter, then just pull the o-ring from it):

On the 4.3L engines and when using the Zumalt kit with the nissan starter you can rework a stock 4.3 4x4 oil filter relocation plate and route it to an aftermarket filter holder. Notice the black fabricated bracket holding the filter housing... to get the proper IN/OUT ports to line up between the two, the cast mounting bracket for the filter housing needed to be cut off so the lines could pass through it. The 4.3 oil filter boss is a smaller diameter than the conventional SBC.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-13-2017).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2017 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the Canton 90 degree on my Countach build. Left plenty of room.

https://www.cantonracingpro...MOTE-FILTER-ADAPTER/

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 07-13-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero4.3L:

I thought you already had a v8 fiero based on the idler bearing topic.

I do, had it about a year but the filter relocation (from the old owner about 14 years ago) leaks and I'm wondering if I want to pull it off and try to find seals or permatex it, or put a different one on. It has what looks like epoxy in places already. Seems like it may be leaking on the filter end as well as the engine end, oil doesn't run down the new hoses I put on (I was thinking they were the leak.)

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-14-2017).]

V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the Canton adaptor this year and clocked the starter downward by using an old starter nose as a drilling jig fixture. It takes patience and planning but the result is a robust reliable relocation of the filter.

fiero4.3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero4.3LClick Here to visit fiero4.3L's HomePageSend a Private Message to fiero4.3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Liquid teflon will help with pipe fittings. Careful using teflon tape instead since shreds can end up in the oil passages. Over tightening the fittings can cause cracks.

See also:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-113180.html

Those (other than the canton) that have the right thread have a smaller od (transdapt 1420, moroso 23683).

Wish I'd thought to redrill to clock my last gear reduction starter Steve. It had seven positions and none were exactly what I needed.
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2017 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lambo gets all the credit...I just followed his old thread. I was lucky enough to have an old starter so I cut off the nose and used it for a drill fixture. All I had to do was rotate it and drill new holes like Lambo did.

------------------
88GT 355 CI Sequential EFI Bigstuff3 , AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alot of the 4.3l s10 blazers have a remote oil filter, so you can prob find one at a junk yard.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2017 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8Steve:

I used the Canton adaptor this year and clocked the starter downward by using an old starter nose as a drilling jig fixture. It takes patience and planning but the result is a robust reliable relocation of the filter.

So that Canton one doesnt even fit right in either huh.
PFF
System Bot
fiero4.3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2017 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero4.3LClick Here to visit fiero4.3L's HomePageSend a Private Message to fiero4.3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The starter design is also a factor. Here is mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Che...p2055119.m1438.l2649

The hitachi has the smallest diameter I've seen and all those holes allow you to put the noid anywhere you want.

It could also be lowered on the adapter like the others have done.

If it isn't clear, the sbc has a larger od filter base than the 4.3, has a bolt on oil bypass where the 4.3 has it built into the block, and has a lip cast into the block around the filter on the sbc.
You might ask guru to elaborate on what he has done and post pictures of what you have. I don't know if you adapters are zumalt or archie style.

[This message has been edited by fiero4.3L (edited 07-18-2017).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a new oil filter relocation kit if anyone needs one. Just taking up space in the garage. PM me if interested.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-19-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2017 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I PM'd you PaulJK

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock