Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  PIP the image posting service of PFF, does it work?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
PIP the image posting service of PFF, does it work? by 2.5
Started on: 06-30-2017 10:54 AM
Replies: 32 (511 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-05-2017 11:16 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be the safest option, but does it work? I tried years ago and it didn't work for me so I used photobucket.
It seems photobucket is turning on their users and requiring a paid membership in order to link to pics, i.e. post them in forums.

Looks like all my photobucket pics on PFF went down. Pretty much any images I ever posted about Fieros on PFF, all show pics, etc.
I could try and use Flickr going forward, but wil they do the same thing down the road?

What is PIPs issue, certain browsers, operating systems, day of the month...etc?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-30-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

It may be the safest option, but does it work? I tried years ago and it didn't work for me so I used photobucket.
It seems photobucket is turning on their users and requiring a paid membership in order to link to pics, i.e. post them in forums.

Looks like all my photobucket pics on PFF went down. I could try and use Flickr, but wil they do the same thing down the road?

What is PIPs issue, certain browsers, operating systems, day of the month...etc?

All I can say is that PIP works for me. I had to download a patch when I installed a new operating system but have been using it fairly seamlessly since then.

Nelson
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP worked for me. Used it last week to post a couple of photos.

David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All my posted pics use PIP; I'd like to post scanned PDF pages sometimes but haven't done it. I think Patrick posted a method...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like all my photobucket pics on PFF went down...

No surprise. There's a reason why many of us have been saying "Photobucket sucks" for years here and warning people not to use it.

PIP works just fine for the vast majority of people running Windows. Simply adhere to the limitations... Maximum width - 1024 pixels. Maximum file size - 300 kb.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-30-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

No surprise. There's a reason why many of us have been saying "Photobucket sucks" for years here and warning people not to use it.

PIP works just fine for the vast majority of people running Windows. Simply adhere to the limitations... Maximum width - 1024 pixels. Maximum file size - 300 kb.

It is a surprise, I didn't abandon the account or remove it or stop using it, or empty it. They changed their rules.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is a surprise, I didn't abandon the account or remove it or stop using it, or empty it. They changed their rules.

I switched to a pro account with them about 5 years ago because I kept hitting the monthly bandwidth limits, which would deactivate the links until the limit refreshed at the start of the month. It is $29.99 a year, so you might just want to upgrade vs. losing all your links and or having to upload them all again while learning a new software.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I switched to a pro account with them about 5 years ago because I kept hitting the monthly bandwidth limits, which would deactivate the links until the limit refreshed at the start of the month. It is $29.99 a year, so you might just want to upgrade vs. losing all your links and or having to upload them all again while learning a new software.

Hmmm does that bandwidth thing give the same warning? That would be great if that's all it was. But their rules say like I said no hot linking with a free account, and my quote on screen was $399 for a pro account.
MB460

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MB460Send a Private Message to MB460Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im sorry, how do I find PIP for posting images?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would normally get an email as I passed 80 or 90% of the bandwidth limit.

I currently have a Plus 20 account with 31 GB limit and I am at 31% of it with roughly 9500 pictures. I just renewed my plan in May, so hopefully I have a year before they work to get me to upgrade.

When I look at the plans available to me from Photobucket, it tells me that the Plus 100 allows unlimited linking, but no 3rd party hosting for $99.00 annually.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I would normally get an email as I passed 80 or 90% of the bandwidth limit.

I currently have a Plus 20 account with 31 GB limit and I am at 31% of it with roughly 9500 pictures. I just renewed my plan in May, so hopefully I have a year before they work to get me to upgrade.

When I look at the plans available to me from Photobucket, it tells me that the Plus 100 allows unlimited linking, but no 3rd party hosting for $99.00 annually.

Thanks, more info is good to know.
From what I read, "hot linking" (IMG tags in a forum) is "3rd party hosting" according to them? And apparently why my acct was flagged...

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-30-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by MB460:

Im sorry, how do I find PIP for posting images?

You start with the botton on the bottom of this page its red and blue.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you install PIP read all the instructions thoroughly. Most times the final step is missed and that causes the vast majority of installation errors. Also be aware that there is a size restriction for the pictures you want to post. If I forget to adjust my camera to the proper 'max pixel' (and I always forget) I just open the downloaded pictures with 'paint' resize, save and go from there. Once you use it, easy to do.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's easy, but cumbersome.

Download pic from phone
Resize pic (get it right or do it twice )
Open Pip
Browse for pic and upload
Go to PFF
Paste link that's now in your memory buffer. Don't forget to do this straight away and copy pastes something else, or you have to repeat upload process??

I guess hotlinking can be just as cumbersome sometimes.

[This message has been edited by wgpierce (edited 06-30-2017).]

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does PIP work with Mac?

~ Jen
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

Does PIP work with Mac?

~ Jen

No. Maybe if you ran a virtual machine with a windows instance
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only major problem PIP needs to run w/ Admin rights.
Means most users should Run as Admin in Vista and up. But Note: If you try at work... Admins there can stop you to install and/or RaA. Depending on Business can warn or fire you for installing unauthorized software.

Why?
Most have Windows UAC active w/ default settings and even login as Admin, PIP access to PIP files are blocked by UAC.

Minor issues:
PIP have picture size limits but http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ makes short job to resize.
PIP only sees gif and jpg because that's what most browsers support w/o added plugins until recent versions.
Most pictures need cropping/editing anyway... I use Photoscape for years now. Free and does most jobs w/o big learning curve.

What to remove Pictures for any reason? Then don't use PIP because server does not allow you to delete anything. Made so that pictures stay alive.
As seen above PB et al can charge rules. Others have shutdown for bankruptcy and other reasons. Hundreds+ of archive threads are useless because all use 3rd party picture server.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

Paste link that's now in your memory buffer. Don't forget to do this straight away and copy pastes something else, or you have to repeat upload process??

The link will show up when you open PIP and click on History. The link and a thumbnail of the image will show up if the image is still located in the same location/address on the computer accessing PIP as when it was uploaded. In theory... if the path is identical, I believe a thumbnail of the image will also show up if a copy of the original image is on a different computer which is being used to access History within PIP.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-01-2017).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The photobucket rules seem fluid and subject to some randomness. Mine are still working, but I imagine it's only a matter of time before they stop working. Still this is no surprise as you can't expect something free to last forever.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
image poster hasnt worked on any of my windows cmptrs since Windows 98. Ive used Picturetrail for a dozen years with no problems. Personally, I like being able to remove them if and when I want.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The link will show up when you open PIP and click on History. The link and a thumbnail of the image will show up if the image is still located in the same location/address on the computer accessing PIP as when it was uploaded. In theory... if the path is identical, I believe a thumbnail of the image will also show up if a copy of the original image is on a different computer which is being used to access History within PIP.
PIP History is standard text file w/ .dat extension.
Exacted location depends on Windows version and also the folder, Application Data(x86) or AppData(x64), that PIPData folder lives in is hidden by default.

History Will save post file data but PIP won't show a picture if local file is moved or deleted.
So keep PIP pictures in 1 spot like my doc's/pip.
If you move them later then can find pip history and edit the local locations w/ wordpad etc.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Exacted location depends on Windows version and also the folder, Application Data(x86) or AppData(x64), that PIPData folder lives in is hidden by default.

Ummm, just to clarify... if I put all my pictures in a folder called Images on the root of my main computer's C drive, and I put a copy of this folder (including contents) on the root of the C drive in a different computer (running any version of Windows)... won't all the uploaded pictures be accessible (including thumbnails) in PIP's History on either computer?

Or is the problem the fact that PIP's application data (to locate these uploaded images) is only present on the computer that actually uploaded the images?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-02-2017).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use PIP if you want your pics to help Fiero people forever, other wise with third party sites, be prepared to grab your ankles at some point and hold on. Otherwise someone will get screwed, you or Fiero people wanting pics.

Too many threads have gone useless because of third party sites. They all get greedy, or just go away.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
History Will save post file data but PIP won't show a picture if local file is moved or deleted.
So keep PIP pictures in 1 spot like my doc's/pip.
If you move them later then can find pip history and edit the local locations w/ wordpad etc.

Of what importance is the history in PIP?
I have this question: If I upload a pic thru PIP, post it in a thread, then delete the pic from my computer entirely will it still show in the thread?
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have this question: If I upload a pic thru PIP, post it in a thread, then delete the pic from my computer entirely will it still show in the thread?

yes
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used PIP since... the beginning. The only trouble I've had was losing my history when changing computers. (I was able to import it, manually, but it was not a lot of fun.)
When I went to a newer version of Windows (I forget which one.) I had to install a PIP newer version/ugpgrade of PIP. Not a big deal, once I figured out what was going on.

It will still show up in the thread. You just won't be able to see it in your PIP history.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ummm, just to clarify... if I put all my pictures in a folder called Images on the root of my main computer's C drive, and I put a copy of this folder (including contents) on the root of the C drive in a different computer (running any version of Windows)... won't all the uploaded pictures be accessible (including thumbnails) in PIP's History on either computer?

Or is the problem the fact that PIP's application data (to locate these uploaded images) is only present on the computer that actually uploaded the images?
Yes, Image folder is in the same local on 2nd machine then you copy/past the old history.dat then new/another computer w/ PIP can see the history w/ pictures. (Pictures can be on the same network drive too.)

But History.dat is not shared between PIP Installs. If you post after then 2nd PC won't know.
Is same problem w/ any file not on a network drive and then 2 or more editing. You will quickly "fork" the doc and often have big headaches figuring out which copy is correct.

Originally posted by Raydar:
I have used PIP since... the beginning. The only trouble I've had was losing my history when changing computers. (I was able to import it, manually, but it was not a lot of fun.)
When I went to a newer version of Windows (I forget which one.) I had to install a PIP newer version/ugpgrade of PIP. Not a big deal, once I figured out what was going on.
Copy/pasty the history is easy after you switch explorer to unhind system folders. Explorer/Organize/folder&search options/view tab

Editing is easy too when picture are in one place. Just highlight text to change and use Replace in wordpad etc for all.
Field are site|dateposted|picturefile|link note that Link doesn't have [img] tags
Replace only picture location. Example:
code:
Pennock's Fiero Forum|3/31/2012 12:55:45 PM|C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\blabla.jpg|//images.fiero.nl/2012/blabla.jpg
to
Pennock's Fiero Forum|3/31/2012 12:55:45 PM|C:\PIPimages\blabla.jpg|//images.fiero.nl/2012/blabla.jpg

Note: All should uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types." This causes many security problems because many malware problems start w/ file names like joke.jpg.exe but you see only joke.jpg so you open the file.
This is one of first things I do after installing Windows.
Hidden folders are bad but unhind them can confuse users. more so if using x64(64bit) Windows because x64 have "dead" system folders for compatibility w/ x86(32 bit) windows and apps.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-03-2017).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will frequently freeze and need to be restarted, but it works fine on every version of Windows I've ever used (all of them) going back to '98. It actually seems to work better under Wine in Linux.

The recent Photobucket apocalypse further underscores how much it SHOULD be used for vital information. So many great threads of the past are now unusable because of crappy image hosting services.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

It will frequently freeze and need to be restarted...

In my experience, almost anytime that PIP appears to be non-responsive (during uploading), it's because I've got too much of a drain on system resources due to too many programs/utilities running in the background. Once I close photo-editing applications etc (and/or get CleanMem Free to do its thing), then PIP resumes activity.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In response to the Photobucket posts, from what I've read, the ONLY Photobucket account that allows hot linking/image posting is the $399/yr plan. I have no problem just adding a link to a pic in a post and keeping my account free.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

In response to the Photobucket posts, from what I've read, the ONLY Photobucket account that allows hot linking/image posting is the $399/yr plan. I have no problem just adding a link to a pic in a post and keeping my account free.

It's not yet universally enforced. My free account still allowed hot linking last time I checked.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If my image hoster goes away or starts charging, i simply find a new one. I originally had Photopoint and it closed down. I saved the photos and found Picturetrail. Theres only about 100 to choose from. If theres a thread that has photos I want to keep, i just save image in my pictures library, and if I want the whole thread I just print it and save it in a loose leaf binder. Then I have an actual manual of things im interested in. I had a whole book on just Ferrari kit info from here.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
It will frequently freeze and need to be restarted, but it works fine on every version of Windows I've ever used (all of them) going back to '98.
Is a bit slow to start partly because want to update the profile. Example: If server in .nl then you wait for data to get to/from EU and can be slow sometimes.

Other times any program can "freeze" cause by other programs.
Example: Win Update in 7 causes a lot of headaches for High CPU usage and need 2 updates manually install to stop. (Quick test for that is start/search/services and stop Win Update service.)
Can Try Task Manager but Process Explorer tell more to find program problems. ("New" Task Man in 10 recent updates has merge w/ PE.)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-05-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock