Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Getting your Fiero inspected (if applicable)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Getting your Fiero inspected (if applicable) by busa_powered
Started on: 06-29-2017 11:39 PM
Replies: 8 (312 views)
Last post by: hetterbr on 07-04-2017 11:13 AM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my Fiero is antiqued in Texas so I don't require inspections anymore, I did initially upon buying it.

Anyway, the inspection place always seems to enjoy my cars, they inspected my Fiero with no Cats on it and passed it.

I took my supercharged Miata to get inspected, it has a header as well as gutted cats and no muffler.

Guy was revving it and driving it around the shop, longer than I thought it should lol

guy rings me up and comments he likes the setup I have on my car.

Although I don't miss the state inspection on the fiero, it was a way to get some questions and complements and laughs about the car, thinking the engine is in the front haha

Anyone else have fun with state inspections?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
Anyone else have fun with state inspections?

Uh No.

I dreaded it with every fiber of my existence. All the usual reason like they can't figure out how to open the trunk, which end of the car is the engine located. Or my favorite, when they smoke the clutch by starting in 5th gear on the dyno. Nope don't miss that one bit.

As Texas is one of only 16 states that require safety inspections, (not even California requires one) there is a bill kicking around in the state legislature to eliminate safety inspections. Probably won't pass but would save us $7 and the hassle every year.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
I took my trailer in for inspection and it's a joke. Window tint is actually a criteria for an open bed trailer. But for $7 I swear they never even looked at it. Just wrote me up and sent me on my way.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, if the bill passes we won`t have to worry about any inspection after next March.
There won`t be a safety inspection and since our cars are exempt from emission testing there will be nothing.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Uh No.

I dreaded it with every fiber of my existence. All the usual reason like they can't figure out how to open the trunk, which end of the car is the engine located. Or my favorite, when they smoke the clutch by starting in 5th gear on the dyno. Nope don't miss that one bit.

As Texas is one of only 16 states that require safety inspections, (not even California requires one) there is a bill kicking around in the state legislature to eliminate safety inspections. Probably won't pass but would save us $7 and the hassle every year.

They are doing dyno testing as part of the inspection in Houston? I lived in Houston up until 2002, and am in Dallas now and haven't heard of that going on in Houston.

The not knowing where the engine is part of the fun of owning a fiero.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Fieros are exempt from emissions testing in Texas at this point. But I had to do it up until 2013.

From what I understand about the Texas Legislature the bill to remove safety inspections is effectively dead. Unless the Governor declares a special session to meet specifically on this topic they will have to start over with a new bill in January 2019 when the next session starts.

http://asashop.org/texas-bi...ection-program-dies/

But there is hope, the original bill's author is asking the governor to add this to a special session.

https://www.texastribune.or...spection-every-year/

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-01-2017).]

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Virginia it is more of an annoyance.

We have to get them every year, and they're a real breadwinner for the state because the VA State Police write a ton of tickets every year for them.

The problem is that there are a ton of cars and very few inspection stations, so it's normally a 2-3 hour affair.

It's also hard to find an honest inspection station. Everything is left to the mechanic's discretion, and there's some serious conflict of interest.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

All Fieros are exempt from emissions testing in Texas at this point. But I had to do it up until 2013.

From what I understand about the Texas Legislature the bill to remove safety inspections is effectively dead. Unless the Governor declares a special session to meet specifically on this topic they will have to start over with a new bill in January 2019 when the next session starts.

http://asashop.org/texas-bi...ection-program-dies/

But there is hope, the original bill's author is asking the governor to add this to a special session.

https://www.texastribune.or...spection-every-year/

Yea, I wondered about that. I looked on the gov site to see what stage the bill was in and it was updated May 19th and just said bill sent to calendars whatever that means. Obviously, if the house doesn`t vote on it, then it just dies.
hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I brought my Fiero up from the U.S. it had to have a safety inspection.

When I took it in, they failed me because the rubber liner around the trunk had a splice in it. When I inquired as to why that should make it fail, they told me: The seal must be solid so that no fumes get into the trunk as it could then make its way into the seating area and kill the person that was driving.

Of course I started to laugh out loud at this. The guy became offended and asked what my problem was. I told him he didn't know what kind of car he was dealing with. he said of course he did. Well then, I said, the only person this would kill is the hostage I have tied up in the trunk. I then went on to explain where the trunk was in relation to the rest of the car. I also said that I would be more than happy to explain it to his supervisor.

After my explanation and him looking rather dejected and embarassed, he passed my car.
Wow, good times.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock