Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Photobucket today tells me no hot linking anymore. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Photobucket today tells me no hot linking anymore. by 2.5
Started on: 06-29-2017 09:10 AM
Replies: 94 (2538 views)
Last post by: motoracer838 on 01-27-2018 08:30 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are other good options out there for free hosting that allows IMG tagging into forums? Thanks

Photobucket wants a paid account in order to use IMG tags to post an image into forums, etc. They call it "3rd party hosting". Which is all I use it for.

Also something I wonder about, I have a photobucket account under one email, and another under another email. Only one seems acffected by this apparent change in the rules that photoucket has implemented.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at imageshack because it said it was free until I signed up then it said "enjoy your free month".
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Testing . . .
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Check out Flickr. I've used it a couple of times when I've wanted to post images wider than 1024 pixels (that PIP won't accept). It's quite flexible.

1024 pixels wide...

1920 pixels wide...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you maxed out your Photobucket account, or something? I can still hot-link with my account.

Here's a quote from the terms of service. Pay special attention to the bold text.

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-29-2017).]

Falcon Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happened to me today too.....

I've been using photobucket for ~9 years or so....

To upgrade, its $399 a year!

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Testing on my free account

EDIT

Hot linking still working for me... is it random??

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 06-30-2017).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here too.

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The very reason people will be the the reason they find somewhere else RIP.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Testing......working here too. (edit - 7/14/17 - not anymore )

Before:

Now:

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 07-14-2017).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, impromptu Fiero picture thread begins!
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

LOL, impromptu Fiero picture thread begins!

I dig it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Maybe you maxed out your Photobucket account, or something? I can still hot-link with my account.

The acct is at 89% full.

Test today from the same acct that didn't work / warned me yesterday.

edit: yep no worky

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-30-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

Happened to me today too.....

I've been using photobucket for ~9 years or so....

To upgrade, its $399 a year!

Their user agreement says it was updated 6/22/17.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
I guess I am going to try Flickr.
What else do people use and love?

What a scam poopooobucket turned out to be, they get people using it then block their pics and say you'll need to spend $400 a year to keep your linked pics up!??

Ahhhh....

Just checked my old posted pics now show the upgrade your account graphic instead of a pic.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-30-2017).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm seeing comments about this from Photobucket users on other forums. Looks like it's happening to a lot of people. It makes me wonder if they're weeding out the free accounts bit by bit, to try to avoid a mass exodus.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm only at 1% with Photobucket, so I am hopefully beneath their radar. I only use it for posting when I'm at work, or if PIP is being fussy.

Dumb question - but would it help if you deleted/moved a portion of pictures to bring your storage % down?
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm only at 20% on Photobucket and it killed all of my hotlinks yesterday...

------------------

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

I'm only at 1% with Photobucket, so I am hopefully beneath their radar. I only use it for posting when I'm at work, or if PIP is being fussy.

Dumb question - but would it help if you deleted/moved a portion of pictures to bring your storage % down?

It shouldn't help, looks like their new rules say no free accounts can "hotlink". I'm thinking this will cut off all users with free accounts, it just may take a few days / weeks.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Legal ransomeware. Get you posting so you've got a lot out there, then ransom your account by changing the rules. I've never used any of those sites. I use Georgia Fiero's version of Image Poster. I can post on any forum I've ever been on.

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used this a couple of times here, but I really have not idea how long the pics will remain at their site.

http://postimage.org/

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What a scam poopooobucket turned out to be, they get people using it then block their pics and say you'll need to spend $400 a year to keep your linked pics up!??

Yes a very elaborate scam.... they lure you in with free image hosting and NINE YEARS LATER they ask for money to upgrade. Sinister they are.
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I was trying to test my account. Photobucket seems to be going crazy. I can't get to anything that I want to, and after having trouble logging in, them MF's won't let me log out! This last smiley is DEFINITELY me? I really am a pissed off old man with a cane!
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not use pip? the pics will never go away. photobucket was always a scam. selling YOUR pics for their profit.
DonP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've finally started experimenting with using my old Godaddy account. I can upload files alright. But pasting the URL, with or without the [IMG} tags doesn't get me anywhere. Anyone here have advice on how to use these images here? I have in the neighborhood of 600 images to re-link on my Chumpcar/Lemons construction thread.

Don
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DonP:

I have in the neighborhood of 600 images to re-link on my Chumpcar/Lemons construction thread.

Aw hell... now that's a real shame. I hope you can get this sorted out.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

I gotta say that this is the most informative and enjoyable thread ever at PFF (and I've been here almost from day one). It's well written and has lots of photos and links. Great stuff!

Don, is this of any help... GoDaddy - Uploading and Linking to Files

Does this guy have the same problem as you? (I can't tell if a solution was posted there or not.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2017).]

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to Winkpedea, not sure I spelled it rigth. They have a story about what Photobucket did. They say somewhere between 20 million to 100 million links were broken by Photobucket. But I'm an old guy so double check my numbers.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the same on another forum were I posted a lot of technical how-yo threads. I will just delete all pics as I do not want people going there and generating revenue.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of my Photobucket photos are on my computer and still there. Just need an image host. It would not be that bad if Photobucket's new fee was $25 /yr but $400 is highway robbery. I make zero money by using Photobucket to post images and they get to sell all the images as their own stock . I always just used it to share images only with friends and on a couple of forums.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

DonP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2017 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I appear to have figured this photo hosting thing out. Or more correctly, I seem to have figured as much as I need to. In my Godaddy account, I had to create a photo album. this allows me to share the photos to the outside world via links.

Now it's going to take weeks to relink the 600 plus photos in my one thread. Like Dennis, I have all(?) of the original files on my hard drive and not just on photobucket. But I've downloaded the photobucket images to have the names for easier linking. What a pain. Particularly as just a couple of days ago I took some more "final" pictures. To do this right, I should restore everything before adding anything new.

Now that I have a way to post images, I am cancelling my photobucket account. I was paying some nominal fee to accomodtae the traffic here on this forum.

Don
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how many build or DIY threads have been ruined because of this. I heop people are able / willing to go back and redo their pics in their posts using another image hosting site / service. If not, a lot of stuff will be lost forever on the various forums found on the net.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reports are that BILLIONS of links (with a B) have been broken across the internet. This can't be good for Photobucket's image, (no pun intended) .
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, some threads are uneditable (archived), and some users have left PFF.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

All of my Photobucket photos are on my computer and still there. I make zero money by using Photobucket to post images and they get to sell all the images as their own stock . I always just used it to share images only with friends and on a couple of forums.

Me too. I only use photobucket for forums, mainly PFF.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2017 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also use image hosting exclusively for posting photos in web forums. I have lengthy build threads in multiple forums. Looks like PB gave me the "ransom treatment" today, so now all those build threads will need to be re-done with new links... after I find a new image host.

Speaking of which, here's a test link from Imgur:

YAY, it works!
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
imgur

it's mostly for meme's.. but I use it for all my hosting.

I stopped using photobucket years ago because it's so slow and full of ads.

------------------
87 Fiero GT- 98 L67 swap - (SOLD)
88 Fiero Formula- L67 swap in progress
T-Top 672 of 1252

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PARAD0X:
I wonder how many build or DIY threads have been ruined because of this. I heop people are able / willing to go back and redo their pics in their posts using another image hosting site / service. If not, a lot of stuff will be lost forever on the various forums found on the net.
Guys,
Is not just Pictures...
Many whole web sites are gone when hosts fold or otherwise kill Web services.
Example: Comcast and others stopped free web sites and storage years ago.
Personal Web services cost a lot of $ to them that most users never use so shut down easy editing tools etc then finally kill the service.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now I am taking a wait & see approach, hoping that photobucket will feel a backlash from all the people with free accounts and eventually decide to leave all the paying members alone. I upgraded to a Plus 20 photobucket account several years back as I was exceeding the free bandwidth (9500 pictures & 9.7gb of storage - my current plan allows 31gb). I just renewed my plan for the next year on May 10th for $29.99 and so far all my pics and hotlinks still work and it is still ad free when I visit it.

Someone likely assumed that some % of the free hotlinking will evolve to direct links to photobucket and improve their visits, clicks or whatever. While I love pics in build threads, after clicking about 2 links to view the non-hotlinked pics, I am done and won't click anymore and will move on to a thread with hotlinked pics.

So I hope they don't see the expected results and decide to leave the current paying subscribers alone, but if not I can always switch to using the pictures I host on my business website.

Edit:
http://blog.photobucket.com...changes-photobucket/

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

So, I should have about 1.5 years before needing to upgrade...

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-08-2017).]

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mean; pictures can be small. Like 853x480 small and still look good. That drastically reduces bandwidth. Host your own IMG server. First; own a domain. Install Apache and only Apache on a machine that you constantly leave on. Give it a blank-ish index.html homepage. Use hidden directories to store photos. Open a hole in your firewall. Use IMG tags to link them. Done. You now control your photos and the domain on which they're linked. Easy peasy.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2017 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

I mean; pictures can be small. Like 853x480 small and still look good. That drastically reduces bandwidth. Host your own IMG server. First; own a domain. Install Apache and only Apache on a machine that you constantly leave on. Give it a blank-ish index.html homepage. Use hidden directories to store photos. Open a hole in your firewall. Use IMG tags to link them. Done. You now control your photos and the domain on which they're linked. Easy peasy.

Except that if you have normal home internet this will violate your terms of service and they will cut you off once they discover your web server. You will need a business account which will be a lot more expensive.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock