Started on: 06-09-2017 11:24 AM
Replies: 16 (767 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-15-2017 09:45 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Grand Am brakes on the front of my Fiero. If I replace the calipers, does anything need to be ground down on the calipers themselves, or was that a modification that was done around the calipers on the car already?

Basically, can I just go buy two brand new brake calipers for a Grand Am, and replace the ones on my car with no modifications?

Also, is it the rear Grand Am calipers that go on the front of the Fiero, an from what year Grand AM?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to assume that the mod to the front brake caliper bracket has already been done for you. The bracket was probably ground down 3 mm so it doesn't interfere with the rotor. Some people do grind down the caliper itself where it comes in contact with the bracket.

Don't forget to install with the bleeders up.You have to flip the calipers from the normal positioning. Install the Right GA caliper on the left side and conversely the Left GA caliper on the right side. Otherwise you will have problems bleeding the brakes.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I have Grand Am brakes on the front of my Fiero. If I replace the calipers, does anything need to be ground down on the calipers themselves, or was that a modification that was done around the calipers on the car already?

Basically, can I just go buy two brand new brake calipers for a Grand Am, and replace the ones on my car with no modifications?

Also, is it the rear Grand Am calipers that go on the front of the Fiero, an from what year Grand AM?

No new grinding if Grand am calipers were already on there once.

Front Grand am rotors and calipers all around.

"85-89 front Grand Am calipers and vented rotors"

http://www.fierofocus.com/a...t-grandambrakes.html

http://myfiero.oceanmoon.co...-fiero-brake-upgrade

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-09-2017).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info, exactly what I needed!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI the Grand Am had drum brakes in the back which is why there is no option for an eBrake. As mentioned earlier the fronts are used on all 4 corner if you go that route. The other route is the Sevill rears on the rear to keep the eBrake.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on how the installation was done, either the caliper brackets or the calipers themselves were ground down a bit to eliminate caliper-to-bracket interference. I guess you'll find out when you go to install the calipers. If it comes to that, the grinding is relatively minor, and should only take a few minutes.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The grinding required on the front GA upgrade is to provide clearance between the caliper bracket and the inside surface of the vented rotor.
No caliper modification at all is needed.
Dust shield modification for caliper clearance may be needed, easy to cut sheet metal......
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm referring to this:

There's one small spot (marked in red in the photo) where the caliper body interferes with the mounting bracket. You can either grind on the caliper or the bracket to make clearance. That rib on the caliper can be ground flat to remove the interference. Sometimes people do that, because it's easier. But then you have to grind down the same spot on each replacement caliper, also.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Dust shield modification for caliper clearance may be needed, easy to cut sheet metal......

Must be why the builder of mine didn't put dust shields back on at all.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, I've not had any fitment problems requiring bracket grinding (other than for rotor clearance)......done several installs.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-12-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Interesting, I've not had any fitment problems requiring bracket grinding (other than for rotor clearance)......done several installs.

When looking to put some on would I would start with Fiero dust shields correct?
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

When looking to put some on would I would start with Fiero dust shields correct?

Yes.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, anyone have a pic of them? The car is an 87 GT, but its got Grand am fronts on all 4.
Orielly apparently doesn't carry Fiero berake dust shields, ebay has completely different looking ones than Autozone shows.

Ebay has this for 84-87 but ouch 80 bucks. Wonder if anyone has some they just don't want.

bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Hmm, anyone have a pic of them? The car is an 87 GT, but its got Grand am fronts on all 4.
Orielly apparently doesn't carry Fiero berake dust shields, ebay has completely different looking ones than Autozone shows.

Ebay has this for 84-87 but ouch 80 bucks. Wonder if anyone has some they just don't want.

I may have a set in the garage I can check for you.
dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds cool thanks for checking dan
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No luck on the backing plates, must have tossed them when I was getting rid of a lot of my fiero metal.

dan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2017 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks anyway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock