vaccuum line woes,,, by fierofrenzy
Started on: 06-07-2017 09:56 PM
Replies: 7 (225 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 06-09-2017 01:01 PM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok you all, who can set me straight on this one. I just completed a water pump replacement on my 88 Formula. The job went very well, even replaced those stupid torx driver bolts with normal hexheads. topped it off with fresh antifreeze, test drove, and all was excellent. at least thats what I thought. Later that evening when I was going to take my girlfriend home, I boasted on how we'd go in the Fiero ! I start the car, and when I hit the headlight switch, nothing happens....the lights didnt pop up. So I look under the deck lid and notice a vaccuum leak in some type canister a bunch of hoses are connected to thats right near the goose neck. Theres a tube in the front of the thing where apparently a vaccuum hose must have been connected to. I'm imagining that was the vaccuum assist to activate the headlights.
Now my ( yes I know, dumb )question is this. I cant see the hose anyplace. I searched with a flashlight for a dangling hose, and don't see one anywhere. That about sums it up.
Can't wait to see the responses on this one, and I thank any responders beforehand.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Can't wait to see the responses on this one, and I thank any responders beforehand.

Our headlights don't work by vacuum...

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your Fiero has a goose neck? There is a cruise canister (looks like a coffee can). A bunch of vacuum hoses connect to it. If you have a vacuum leak, your idle should be high or erratic.

First of all, there is no vacuum assist on the headlights in a Fiero. You may have a ground wire disconnected back there.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can assure you the two issues are unrelated.
The upright can in front of the driver side strut tower is the EVAP canister, it has three vacuum lines attached to it
The horizontal can under the cruise control solenoid is the vacuum reservoir for the solenoid diaphragm. It has two hoses attached to it.
The headlights are electric.

Edit....if by gooseneck you are referring to the thermostat housing, the small canister with vacuum lines near there is the EGR solenoid.....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-08-2017).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As people have already said, the headlights are electrical; If they BOTH did not come up it is probably the switch or the relay....You can try jiggling the knob on the motor....But the chances that both went bad at the same time is slim.

There are two vacuum canisters; One is for the cruise control- I don't have that one so can't tell you about it...The other one is the vapor canister next to the air filter...You need a vacuum line diagram and take your time tracing them out. Questions; A) Did the headlights work before you changed the WP? and B) Would you have been close to the vapor and vacuum canisters while changing the WP.....? (Yes, I know; If you are like me, you were probably twisting around in circles trying to get your hands on the different bolts, etc.....)
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gee, do I feel silly......anywayyyyyyy, I totally forgot that the headlights are electric, and I even did rebuild the motors at one time. Thanks to you guys, the vacuum unit I'm speaking of is the EGR selonoid. There appears to be a hose that should connect to the front of the unit but I can't locate the hose. I plugged the tube with a wood screw to stop the vacuum leak and the car now runs excellent. I remember tampering with the wires behind the battery, so I probably loosened something up there. I'll take a good look at that tomorrow and I'm confident that I'll locate the problem. Thank you all for your input. And by the way, the goose neck I was referring to is indeed the thermostat housing.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The port you plugged is actually the solenoid vent and the tube was attached to the base of the air cleaner.
I suspect your car runs better because the EGR solenoid is bad and blocking the vent tube corrected a vacuum issue.

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC the headlight motors are on the brake light circuit. See if the brake lights come on. If out, look at fuses. Also, I believe that there is a fusible link by the battery (c500 or something I forget what the number is) that may have melted. Mine did that due to corrosion and it got toasty.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave