Started on: 05-31-2017 07:18 AM
Replies: 12 (533 views)
Last post by: RAREW66 on 06-06-2017 09:35 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2017 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, Now that I have parked my Indy to do the needed work I was thinking of up dating it, and use the super duty and add multiport efi to it..
But these things are like gold.. Why is an outdated 4 cyl still so costly.. The midgets used to run them but there is far better 4cyl now to use.
So why are these things still made out of gold..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rarity? I think they made a bunch of hp if they were set up right. I don't know anything about them, thought. (I can barely spell Supper Doody Foe.)
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because they are made of "unobtainium", and have that "aura" about them. Not really rational, but then automotive legends rarely are.

With that said... a mild iron-head SD4 was very streetable, and probably made about 200 HP (judging by my finely calibrated butt dyno. )
More exotic iterations (with the raised port aluminum heads) are probably capable of 300 or more.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-31-2017).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.0 SD with port injection and 2 valve heads: 350HP naturally aspirated, engine also has a three stage N2O setup that will provide an extra 150HP. Impressive performance for a two valve 4 banger from the mid 80's.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try contacting legutt. He might be able to fix you up with one to fit your budget.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what these SD4 engines sell for , you can gain more horsepower per dollar spent with a different engine.. I guess that he attractiveness of his engine is that its a bolt in design for a Fiero that once had a Duke . It is a rugged engine but still a venerable design that fits well in Indy Fiero Pacecars.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 4-cylinder Fiero belting out 370 bhp took the NHRA's Competition Eliminator title at the Keystone nationals on September 15, 1985, with a best 1/4 mile time of 9.72 seconds at 134.41 mph. that is why.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2017 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

A 4-cylinder Fiero belting out 370 bhp took the NHRA's Competition Eliminator title at the Keystone nationals on September 15, 1985, with a best 1/4 mile time of 9.72 seconds at 134.41 mph. that is why.

And the sbc v8 ran 6's but don't cost an arm and a leg 30 years later..
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

And the sbc v8 ran 6's but don't cost an arm and a leg 30 years later..

You are comparing apples to oranges. Yes newer more powerful engines will always be available. But you can get an LS, V8, supercharged, engine from multiple vehicles. But very few came with a superduty.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2017 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Yes newer more powerful engines will always be available. But you can get an LS, V8, supercharged, engine from multiple vehicles. But very few came with a superduty.

How about none came with it.. Don't even think you know what engine we are talking about.. As far as I know.. the 3-3.3ltr s/d was never installed in any production car.. unlike the 60's 421 s/d or the 74-75 455 s/d
my point is, it is outdated racing gear.. it's not like it is a winning miller indy engine..
And it was produced in big numbers.. for an over the counter parts program engine..
heck even a sbc2.2 is less money..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 06-06-2017).]

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You answered your own question then. It's a rare engine, rarity is expensive, doesn't matter on power level or capability. It really comes down to what a person wants in their car. I have a 67 chevy truck with a highly modified inline6 engine. Could I have placed a BB 454 or LS for the same price and more hp? Maybe, but it was my choice to create a different setup.
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2017 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

You answered your own question then. It's a rare engine, rarity is expensive, doesn't matter on power level or capability. It really comes down to what a person wants in their car. I have a 67 chevy truck with a highly modified inline6 engine. Could I have placed a BB 454 or LS for the same price and more hp? Maybe, but it was my choice to create a different setup.

Have a good day , as you clearly missed the last post....
they sold tens of thousands of them.. not rare at all..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 06-06-2017).]

RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2017 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious to know how you came up with the Tens of thousands number?? The SD-4 was very limited in production and through the best research I have came up with, there were less than 5000 blocks cast. Some of the other parts more, but even back in the day, they were rare outside of racing. Race car parts are usually either new or worn out or broken. The rarity of the SD-4 in finding a good one that has not been run in to the ground. The SD-4 is very reliable and was used regularly up until recently. Supply and demand comes in to play with this engine.

Fred

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock