Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What's acceptable for entering a Fiero in a show, and any tips?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's acceptable for entering a Fiero in a show, and any tips? by copperhens
Started on: 05-26-2017 03:50 PM
Replies: 32 (616 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 06-11-2017 07:51 AM
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a Fiero last month. Love it. 87 GT. The interior is spotless, no rust, low miles... Still it needed some work(brakes, dew wipes...) and has come a long way since last month!
Anyway, I would be really interested in entering it in a show. The spring dustoff.The car has original paint. The side panels look okay. The hood had sun damage but I managed to fix it up. The nose(?) of the car still has chipping, the sunroof and spoiler. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it new paint. Also, I need to really get in the engine compartment to clean.
Would this car be 'embarrassing' to enter, and should I just wait and see if it'll look better next year? Otherwise, there is this weekly car show right by me I may just go to. There are plenty of othe cars with paint in the same condition as mine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't take my fiero to a show in poor condition

Just save your nickels for a paintjob then show up.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many Midwest shows have a project class. I took home a project trophy the year I got my Formula and it had faded paint on the hood, roof and one fender.
I go to shows to see what people are doing, visit with other Fiero-heads, swap ideas, cruise and go out to eat with the other attendees, have fun, etc. Learn about Fieros and their history. Most times people are glad to see a new car, and or a new person. I'd say go. What class you are entered into might make a difference. if you don't win just have fun.
I know you'd be welcome at any Fiero show I've been to.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything 2.5 said

Just GO!! You will meet a bunch of people who are passionate about the car, and have a great time.

Don't worry about paint or general condition - there are all types there. It's about getting together with others that share the passion for this "odd little mid engine car" that makes it worthwhile.

You will see all types and all years of Fieros, some completely stock, some heavily modified, and everything in between. Don't wait until yours is "perfect", go and have fun, meet other Fiero nuts, and get some ideas on how you will make yours "perfect for you".

Hopefully see you at the Annual Car Show at Old World Canterbury Village. MI Fiero Club events
------------------
Tim
Bay City, MI

'87 GT original 2.8 V6
All Poly suspension, Eibach springs
Aussie Stage 2 side scoops
Deck scoop, Fiero Warehouse lip spoiler

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 05-26-2017).]

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also agree. Just go. The only abusers of the system that I can see are those people that show up to the cruise in with their bone stock daily driver with a FS sign in the windshield (If you DD a stock Fiero that's a different story. I'm talking about the jellybean shaped silver and beige-mobiles parked at every Walmart and Costco across the country). My local shows always seemed to have that one guy trying to sell off his 22 year old rusted out winter beater Civic, and I was always like "Dude, I came here to look at sports cars, muscle cars, hotrods, and even the occasionally tasteful tuner cars, not some piece of junk that you couldn't sell on Craigslist." But, to each their own I guess.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. You have pride in your car. Bring it, share your enthusiasm. Next year, improve one thing. Show it again. Repeat every year.

Two years ago, I was parked next to a rust bucket Fiero. The guy was so proud of his keyless entry, but the car was in terrible condition. Maybe some of the owners of the nice Fieros look at mine like that. Last year, there was a Fiero with an upgraded (but rusty) master cylinder, and panels of a variety of colors; but he had nice wheels. Do your best.

The one thing I'd recommend is to try to get your car clean. Detail it inside and out. This really makes a difference in how both you and others feel about your Fiero. Maybe bring a picture of how the car looked when you got it. It's nice to see all the work people do to keep their Fiero on the road.

I don't like seeing cars for sale at car shows. I'm not saying that you can't be willing to sell, or take a good offer.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
I didn't take my fiero to a show in poor condition

Just save your nickels for a paintjob then show up.

So sorry to see this as the first response......

Going to a car show is NOT just to say "Look at how perfect my car is". It is a chance to get out, and enjoy hanging out with people of similar interests. It is about the friends that you make, and just having a good time! As 2.5 said, many shows have a project class, daily driver class and others that you can enter into.

As time goes by, if you are enjoying going to shows, you can examine other Fieros and see what they have done, and work on yours over time.

My point, and I think the point of most of the posts in this thread, is just show up, and meet some new people and have a good time! If you win something, that is just icing on top of the cake

Carl Calderone

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ditto the last five responses. JUST GO AND HAVE AS GOOD TIME
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go, pay your $10, have fun. Always great to meet car folks. You hear the craziest stories, learn lots about everything and have the best of days. Nothing beats an all Pontiac/ GM show.

Sometimes they have a survivor class which covers cars like yours. Give it a try, I think you will be surprized!

In the end it's a day with people like you that enjoy the hobby. Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 05-27-2017).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kevin87FieroGT

1202 posts
Member since Nov 2010

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 05-27-2017).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the responses have been geared to Fiero shows.
That's fine and dandy, but try to attend as many local non fiero-specific shows as you can.
People will tend to pay more attention to a Fiero at an all marque show, and it gets the Fiero out in front of people who may not know much about them.
Just keep it clean, and make improvements as you can.
Some folks may look down their noses at the car, but that is their problem, not yours. It's supposed to be about the fun, not whose car has the most bling or wins the most trophies.
PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make up a Big sign that says....

"I know they catch fire"

and put it in the front window, this way you will only hear that 500 times a show.

All kidding aside. Car shows are two fold, people want to show off their car (no matter the conditon) and people want to see other cars and meet people. Take the plunge, if the people there are rude then bail. That simple, but I am betting you will meet some nice people and have a good time.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Some folks may look down their noses at the car, but that is their problem, not yours. It's supposed to be about the fun, not whose car has the most bling or wins the most trophies.

Exactly. Keep an open mind and have fun. Some people will ignore the Fiero because its not a Mustang/Camaro/Corvette or other classic muscle car; some will love it for the exact same reason. Don't take anything personally. If there's not a specific "Fiero" category, there is always a certain random category they will put us in (like "80s") but be aware sometimes other cars like Mustangs spill over into our category if theirs is full to overflowing. And then there was the time one of our clubmembers was put in the "Trucks" category for no apparent reason - maybe they thought the Iron Duke was a tractor engine?

Some people take shows way too seriously. I know a guy who buys and sells cars based on their ability to win trophies. In other words, each car is on a short leash and if it doesn't win often enough it goes on sale. He does his homework and tracks which kinds of cars do better at each show so he can bring whichever car of his has the best odds of winning. Then he arrives first to get the prime spot at the front of the first row to get the most visibility. I can only assume he goes home mad if he doesn't win and what fun is that?

Some shows have judges and that theoretically takes away the "popularity contest" (personal or car brand) aspect of the more-common participant-voted shows. But on the other hand, I remember one judged show I went to a dozen or more years ago where the only cars that seemed to win were the ones owned by the club who sponsored the show. I didn't care (I was just there as a spectator) but a bunch of people were pretty mad.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are feeling uncertain about the condition of the car and the show doesn't have a "projects" class, put a sign on it that just says, "Restoration in Progress".

This will both demonstrate to people that you know it's not done and initiate some fun conversations about what you have planned and what you have already done.

This is what we did the first time we showed our 87 GT- the interior was still rough, it had less than half its clear coat, and a bunch of other stuff. I also found that I was very motivated to get a lot done before that show rolled around the next year.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am still laughing at the make a sign "I know they catch fire" lol

Just show up, whats the worst that is going to happen, you are out a little bit of money.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the "go to have fun" suggestions. I have a very decent Fiero that I take to Carlisle almost every year. Its nowhere near a "best of the show" car but a very nice one that I enjoy driving and showing. If I occasionally win that's great if not that's also great. The real fun is the 3 hr drive out and being among all the great folks that come to these shows. The technical knowledge, the experiences that owners share, the jokes and the fun that everyone has is worth it all.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-27-2017).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried that. I put a sign on mine with the words ”Rustoration in Progress” in black. When I got back to my car, the word ”Progress” had been crossed out, and the word ”Complete” written in red below it. It was a judged show. I think I got 70-something points. The most frequent question I got was ”Does the car slow down when you 'open' the lights?'
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

Just make up a Big sign that says....

"I know they catch fire" .

I did this and.....The dang sign caught fire and burned the stadium down!

Sorry, just had too...My favorite Fiero display was the guy who has a hamster wheel up front with a stuffy mouse w/ NOS tank on it's back....That guy has a sense of humor! As for going with your "In process" sports/classic....Go, have fun....Recently, there has been a sea change around here(SF bay area) and people now seem to like my Fiero....although I would still steer clear of "Tuner" meet ups...Unless you add 3 wings to it!

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-28-2017 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enter with a smile, leave with friends.

I used to go for the awards. I go for the company now. So many great folks and families at car shows.

Good luck with the new Fiero.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2017 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything 2.5 and others said except my suggestion is don't even enter the show. For me competing for prizes takes all the fun out of it. Most shows turn into a car cleaning contest. Is that how you want to spend your weekend? If yes then go for it. Otherwise skip the entering part and just have fun.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2017 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, if you enter a judged show, the comments can be helpful, vs being in the park 4 fun, or hiding your car. I attended a show in the park 4 fun, and nobody really said anything about my car, one way or another. At another show, I entered, and was pleasantly surprised at how my car compared to other cars in its class by my observation, but also with the peer judging. At yet another show, the judging gave me actual objective details about the good and the bad. Yes, I cleaned my car, and I wish I knew how to do a better job of detailing my car; on the other hand, I'm not going to spend hours cleaning my car. I clean off the bugs and cobwebs. For those who spend hours detailing their cars, I'm fine with my car not looking as nice. Cleaning isn't my idea of fun. Still, it's nice to know how to clean my car.

Ignore non-objective (judgmental/editorial) comments. It's nice when the comments are specific. Rather than just a bad score for, say, lights, if it states ”delamination on tail lights”. Rather than poor score for the engine compartment, stating ”corroded valve covers”. Or whatever the case may be.
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Everything 2.5 and others said except my suggestion is don't even enter the show. For me competing for prizes takes all the fun out of it. Most shows turn into a car cleaning contest. Is that how you want to spend your weekend? If yes then go for it. Otherwise skip the entering part and just have fun.

I totally agree with jscott with one little side note about not entering.....

If you are proud of what you have accomplished so far, and want to get to meet a lot of great people that have started out where you are at, then enter, but keep in mind the judging part is not for you unless you want an honest critique of your car you can build from.
I say this with experience..... I could care less what others think of mine, but I am "proud" to have both of them.

I am so dang proud of just having a Fiero, and I have never wanted to be "judged", but wanted to share my experiences with them, teach a little real "Fiero history" and learn from others.
Most of the time my Fiero is just parked on the outside of the event, and occasionally I will get someone asking me a question or two about it, but that is it.

Being actually entered will bring a new focus on our little pieces of history.
It can be fun, boring, and rewarding all at the same time.
Many times in the past when I was entered, someone would almost always approach me with "I know someone that is going to junk one just like yours".....
Do not miss these opportunities!

Cleaning.... pffff, a car is only new once and I enjoy the heck out of driving both of them so yes, my car is not showroom condition to any stretch of the imagination, and shows the "joy" I take in driving them.
They are not garbage cans, but not a #1 condition either.

Fiero definitions: "proud".... from the Italian version, so just be proud and feel lucky that you have one!

There is a limited number of these still around..... heck, the way I see it I own 4, 5 or 6 or more of them just by the spare parts I have for mine waiting to go in.
2 dashes, (a third dash on it's way I hope) two tail lights from different vehicles, surround sound from another.... see what I mean?
The number is limited, and decreasing daily..... someday they will be appreciated for what the represent as far as American automobile design.

Just google "American mid engine car" and all you will find is the new "perceived" mid engine Corvette.... only we are ahead of the curve by over 30 years!
Yes, I am a Fiero fan, and want to have all of us promote our little beasts in the best light, but we have all started somewhere......... and yours sounds like a very good starting point.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Most of the responses have been geared to Fiero shows.
That's fine and dandy, but try to attend as many local non fiero-specific shows as you can.
People will tend to pay more attention to a Fiero at an all marque show, and it gets the Fiero out in front of people who may not know much about them.
Just keep it clean, and make improvements as you can.

I agree with this too.

Also what Tshark said.. clean the car.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by railshot:

one little side note about not entering.....

Also know that if it is a Fiero show, entering promotes the Fiero, the clubs, and in general supports the Fiero community, it keeps the shows and events going.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Define 'show'. There are cars and coffee meets and just general car meet ups around here. The idea is to just show up. All sorts for cars are there from Ferrari's to junkers. It's about a shared passion for cars rather than winning anything and around here Fieros are getting to be like hen's teeth. Guy at the inspection place the other day had never seen a Fiero before.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

RURC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RURCSend a Private Message to RURCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Show it now, I mean NOW.

The best thing to do is show it while you are working on it. You will learn what areas to really work on first. Also a couple of the series we show in have a category for most improved. We have won that a couple times. So I say SHOW IT NOW.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe if it still works then it qualifies.
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the replies!
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to the show and won 3rd place in the survivors class(25 years and older). It wasn't expected and it really made my day.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

Your on your way in the car show circuit. Always a great time even if you win nothing. Work on your car when you can and try another.

Again congrats!
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Congrats!

Your on your way in the car show circuit. Always a great time even if you win nothing. Work on your car when you can and try another.

Again congrats!

Thank you! There's definitely some work that still needs to be done yet.
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2017 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

I went to the show and won 3rd place in the survivors class(25 years and older). It wasn't expected and it really made my day.

Congrats! It's fun to be recognized, and...it's easy to fall into the mindset of expecting/wanting to win. In my experience that can take away from the fun of the shows. Absolutely enjoy the win, just don't let it be the main thing you enjoy.

Personally, I like talking to people about our cars (Mark 1 Sprite, Fiero, and Sky), but most of all the Fiero. I enjoy evangelizing for and dispelling the myths about these fun, underappreciated cars.

Again, congrats for showing the car, and the win!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very awesome for the first time ever going. I have been to a lot of car shows but have never actually entered any of my own vehicles before.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock