Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  84 vented decklid and solid side covers?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
84 vented decklid and solid side covers? by sourmash
Started on: 05-06-2017 07:33 PM
Replies: 14 (539 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-09-2017 08:50 AM
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2017 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just learned that the early cars had those. Are they usable or not with later cars? Desirable or not?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What would you hope to gain?

One potential issue is that the original decklids reportedly have less engine clearance. They don't have the "hump".
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 only decklid had the magnesium vent in the center. There were several issues with that. One it wouldn't clear the V6 so they got rid of it for 85. Another problem is they are weak. After decades of the spring pushing on them they tend to potato chip and bend in the middle. Last problem is that WHEN the engine catches fire, (not if) the magnesium vent will make a spectacular fire.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years ago, I took the grille, cut it down on the sides, and incorporated it into the decklid of my 87 GT.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That center vent looks nice, but the other problem is that the leaves and water tend to get in on the exhaust manifold and next thing you know the manifolds are cracking or catching fire. Like most things 84 Fiero, Pontiac did not think through a lot of the little details. Pretty much everything on the 84 got tweaked in the later models. There is a reason the 88 is the most desirable model. By then most everything was sorted out, (except the power steering).

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-07-2017).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2017 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not desirable. Though I would like to see one of the grills burn.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

Originally posted by Patrick:

What would you hope to gain?

Not wild about the rain/debris getting into the engine through the vents. My car sits outside.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

I would like to see one of the grills burn.

It's probably not as much fun to watch when the grill/decklid is attached to your car at the time!

Originally posted by sourmash:

Not wild about the rain/debris getting into the engine through the vents. My car sits outside.

Whether the vents/grills are on the side or in the middle, the rain and debris still get into the engine compartment. I know... I have several Fieros stored outside with both types of decklids/grills.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Whether the vents/grills are on the side or in the middle, the rain and debris still get into the engine compartment. I know... I have several Fieros stored outside with both types of decklids/grills.

True, but it's worse on the 84.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you could use a later year notchback decklid on an '84.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 4 different 84s and what JScott said is certainly on the money.
That 84 decklid center vent assembly is 2 piece and rattles around and is noisy as heck, and the grids just happen to be right over the sparkplugs and exhaust studs. Leaves, and especially pine needles get in there on a daily basis .... especially pine needles which fall straight up and down, not float down sideways. Straight thru the slots like a James Harden 3 pointer ............. slick as owl snot.

I broke about 3 spark plugs off trying to get them rusty rascals out of Dukes with those center vents. Water just pools up in the plug recesses and you have to really careful and lucky not to break one.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-07-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

True, but it's worse on the 84.

Agreed... which is probably the reason the vents were switched over to the sides.

Originally posted by tshark:

I wonder if you could use a later year notchback decklid on an '84.

Absolutely. I put an '87 decklid and grills on my '84. Going the other way (as the OP asked about) isn't a very common swap... for reasons that have been spelled out.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-07-2017).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same with the 84 vent on my 88.. Though I didn't completely mold it in to the decklid like the picture above.. I trimmed it the same size as the pic above but left it as the black vent to encorporate the same look as the side vents.. I think it looks really good..

I don't park outside or drive this in the rain BUT!-- I also designed a rain/gutter system that lays underneath it.. It drains in the frame rail of the original decklid and uses the same drip holes from factory..

I'm not worried

Painted myself in my home wreck paint booth--- PVC and plastic sheets.. HVLP sprayed

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 05-08-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2017 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I don't park outside or drive this in the rain... I'm not worried

Lucky you.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sourmash if you wanted to put solid vents from an 84 on a later car you'd have no vents, I would think it would get too hot back there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock