Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Thinking of swapping totally 2.8 v6 4spd with 2007 3.9 v6 6 speed with dash and ecm

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Thinking of swapping totally 2.8 v6 4spd with 2007 3.9 v6 6 speed with dash and ecm by canaman
Started on: 05-06-2017 12:58 AM
Replies: 6 (441 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-06-2017 11:43 AM
canaman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canamanSend a Private Message to canamanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to swap
2.8 v6 4 spd with remanufactured 2007 3.9 v6 supercharged 6 speed with dash and ecm
complete wiring etc from a donor car to many kns on the engine so it will be a new remanufacted engine

A total gut out and set in

But wondered if a short cut would to just drop in a new 1980,s Catiliac
4.9 V8 which I heard will bolt right up to a fiero 4 SPD OR 5 SPD manual trans

ANY HELP ON THIS i AM A GREAT PUPIL AND LISTENER

[This message has been edited by canaman (edited 05-06-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canaman:

Are you a great reader?
canaman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canamanSend a Private Message to canamanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thankyou Patrick for the libary of info on the 4.9 engines etc
ty I will enjoy reading up on it all

88cryan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wanted to swap
2.8 v6 4 spd with remanufactured 2007 3.9 v6 supercharged 6 speed with dash and ecm
complete wiring etc from a donor car to many kns on the engine so it will be a new remanufacted engine

A total gut out and set in

1st, there isn't a such thing as a 3.9 supercharged with a 6 speed. If you are talking about the 3.9 v6 6speed combo (from a g6 gxp) it is naturally aspirated with 240hp and 240tq, no supercharger. It has been swapped into Fiero's before and turbo charged even. You will have to search the forum for more info, I only know that you will need custom wiring, computer work, exhaust, custom axles for the 6 speed?, dod delete, and more.

The 4.9 is reliable, has 200hp 275tq, and is a simpler swap (and more info available over a 3.9). From what I've read it runs out of breath at 4500 rpm, so its a good highway cruiser and stop light to stop light torque monster with low top end.

The 3.8 supercharged is the most popular and common swap and also bolts up to your transmission. It is well documented on here and you can basically buy all the swap parts from people on here. It has 240hp280tq (265hp series 3). From what I've read it sounds like crap with the oddfire 90 degree v6 setup.

I am in the middle of a 3.4 dohc swap. I felt it was a good all around package and better suites a manual trans Fiero (bolts up to the stock trans too). It gives 80 more hp than a 2.8, 7,000 rpm to work with (70mph in 2nd gear), and a very nice sound. The engine looks neat visually and it was the engine in the 89/90 Fiero prototype. The cons of this swap are no aftermarket (big problem, everything custom), more involved maintenance: 60k mile timing belt, intake removal for rear plugs (96+), has known oil leak issue from oil pump drive which requires rear head removal. Turbocharging wakes this engine up, there are a couple swaps with over 400hp.
canaman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canamanSend a Private Message to canamanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was on the www.autotrader.ca here in Canada looking at a 6 speed 3.9 V6 G6 GTP

I forgot to write that the supercharger was on the 2007 3.9 G6 "GTP"
What year or code vin # that you think is the best 3.8 V6 Engine

I am planning to purchase a new remanufactured block to go with my 1987 4 spd
wanted to get an est 240 hp engine out of this future swap
canaman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canamanSend a Private Message to canamanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

canaman

6 posts
Member since May 2017
1997 camero 3.8 V6 work ? on a 4 spd Fiero Gt manual Trans ?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was on the www.autotrader.ca here in Canada looking at a 6 speed 3.9 V6 G6 GTP

I forgot to write that the supercharger was on the 2007 3.9 G6 "GTP"
What year or code vin # that you think is the best 3.8 V6 Engine

I am planning to purchase a new remanufactured block to go with my 1987 4 spd
wanted to get an est 240 hp engine out of this future swap

I own a G6 GT, and have been a member of http://www.g6performance.com for years.
The G6 never came with a supercharged 3.9, or a supercharged "anything else". If it was supercharged, it was done aftermarket.

The LZ9 3900 makes 240 HP, right out of the box. With a good unrestricted exhaust, and a tune, I would expect it to do more.
It has been under consideration (along with an LFX) for a swap into my 88 coupe.

The easiest 3800SC will be from a 98 or later W body - Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, or similar.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-06-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock