1988 EGR oem part number? by railshot
Started on: 05-05-2017 07:08 PM
Replies: 12 (311 views)
Last post by: railshot on 05-07-2017 02:16 PM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I just got my replacement egr valve from The Fiero Store, (and I thought I would get it faster using 3 day ups.... hah! It arrived in the same time frame. Nice job usps!) and went out to check what the oem part number was so I could install and peen the disk included to restrict the flow.
Guess what, the egr had been replaced already and the tag that you are supposed to write the oem number on is gone.

Now this car started life in California, went to Arizona and then here to Wisconsin a couple of years ago.

My question is, does anyone know if 17110813 is the correct number for an '88 GT egr from California?
That is the only number I have been able to find for an '88 GT, so....
This is for the T-top.
Not really sure if it does make a difference, but before I peen the flow control disk in, I want to be sure.

Call me cautious, call me ocd, call me what ever you want, but I really want this to be put back the way it should have been back in '88.
Nobody has a nos one... hmmm, imagine that....

Thanks in advance,
Dave

------------------
There's one in every crowd, and usually it's me.
1988 GT non CJB T-top (I still think the 1988 non CJB ones are rarer! lol)
1988 solid roof GT for the wife!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you please post a pic of the EGR valve you bought from The Fiero Store?

I'm trying to figure out what you mean.

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Can you please post a pic of the EGR valve you bought from The Fiero Store?

I'm trying to figure out what you mean.

Thanks,

Thanks for replying.....

I guess I was not quite that clear, so here is a picture of the instructions that came with it.

At the moment my T-top is an EGR delete with no tube going from the EGR to the intake.
I am restoring it to be the way it is supposed to be and correct.

What I need to know is what the part number for an '88 California emissions oem EGR is, so I can select the correct orifice washer.
Not sure if California makes a difference or not, but the number I find online is not listed in the selection sheet I got with the valve.

The EGR came with a bag of many different size orifice washers and selecting the correct one is quite important.
I have read that number 11 is the correct size in another post about this, but want to know for sure, as mine is an '88 and may be different.

Here is a shot of the instructions, and the washer goes on the bottom of the EGR vavle, and gets peened into place to hold it like in figure 2 in the instructions.

Here is a picture of a similar EGR valve I borrowed from the internet.

On the top there is supposed to be a number to reference when selecting the orifice washer to peen into the bottom.
Mine is gone as it was a replacement already, and nobody took the time to document the oem number on the new label on top of the EGR.

Thanks for any help on this everyone!

Edit: I just ran out and got the oem number off of the other 83,000 mile GT that still has the original EGR on it, and referenced it to the supplied chart for the replacement EGR.
It is looking like the #11 orifice washer is a go for that one, and probably the same for all of the 2.8's.
I will just try that one, and see how it goes.....

Feel free to still chime in here if you have a differing opinion before I do this tomorrow!

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-06-2017).]

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the only number that shows in the gm catalog is 17110813

dan
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:

the only number that shows in the gm catalog is 17110813

dan

Thanks Dan,
Sadly, that number is not listed on the installation sheet. lol

Now I did get a new tube from Rodney, and his comes with an orifice built into the intake gasket for the tube that is there in case the tube would ever break.
Great idea, and forward thinking, as this will reduce the chances of having a high idle condition if it does ever break.

I just got back from the garage after measuring it, and it is 11/32".
Most interesting, as 11/32" is what i am finding to be the correct orifice size, thus, the 11 on the orifice washer that I think I need.

I emailed Rodney this morning to see if he thinks we still need the orifice washer in the valve if we use his tube and gasket with the orifice in it on the manifold side.
Heck, I am tempted to just try it to see what happens.

If it works, this would be all the more reason to buy his tube and gaskets, or even just a set of gaskets from him.
We would not have to bother with the orifice washer in the EGR then!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

railshot

1310 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Here is a shot of the OEM EGR in the other GT.
This number is on the chart and comes back as a number 11 orifice.

Here is the reference chart that shows the orifice washer for this one is indeed a number 11.

Thanks everyone for the input, I am going to try it without the orifice in the EGR, I can always add it later.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

railshot

1310 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Last post for this one from me, but I found a fabulous little web page that may help us all out if you still have your OEM EGR and need to replace it with an aftermarket one.

http://www.airtexve.com/cus..._egr.php?showall=yes

Just punch in the number of your oem EGR, and it will tell you what orifice it is!

I just plugged in the one for the other GT, and it came back as an 11.
Nice....
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little late to the party, but whatever...

I would think all the 2.8 EGRs would be the same.
Also, when I removed the EGR tube from my 2.8 (take your pick, which one) I noticed that the gasket at the plenum end (IIRC) had a restriction as part of the gasket. The hole was about 1/4". Maybe a little larger.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2017 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

A little late to the party, but whatever...

I would think all the 2.8 EGRs would be the same.
Also, when I removed the EGR tube from my 2.8 (take your pick, which one) I noticed that the gasket at the plenum end (IIRC) had a restriction as part of the gasket. The hole was about 1/4". Maybe a little larger.

Sounds about right Raydar, the hole is 11/32", so that makes sense to me.
Thanks for adding to this post, and I don't know about you, but I am loving the '88's.... ok, I do know how much you love them, and glad I finally have 2 of them!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:
glad I finally have 2 of them!

Careful. If you leave them alone, they'll multiply.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So that is what all that noise in the drive was last night!

Hopefully a beautiful blue '87 will show up one day..... lol
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QFT! 5 years ago I didn't have any Fieros....then I bought an '88 GT. Now I have the GT and twin Formulas and I'm in the process of acquiring 2 more. When will the madness end!?! 😊
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

QFT! 5 years ago I didn't have any Fieros....then I bought an '88 GT. Now I have the GT and twin Formulas and I'm in the process of acquiring 2 more. When will the madness end!?! 😊

As far as I can tell, the madness ends with my last breath, or when I cannot get out anymore (getting in is much easier).

I told my wife just the other day, if you see me sitting in, or under either Fiero for more than 4 hours straight, call 911!

.... I am now on #10..... and neither one of the current ones are going anywhere while I am still upright.

Keep your eyes open for an original blue '87 automatic..... this is the one that "got away" back in '87 ... regrets.... yes!
lol, just mentioned this to the wife this morning, and the look I got could not be duplicated. heheheheh

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-07-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock