Power window motors are a pain to change by shemdogg
Started on: 05-05-2017 12:27 AM
Replies: 11 (708 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 05-14-2017 01:17 AM
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeeeez! When I got my turd the pass window took 5 mins to roll up. Just like my 83 z28 in high school, stupid slow. I got a new motor right away. Wow are those a pain to change! After drilling out the rivets I could only get 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the door. The bottom righ ones impossible to get to. I put locktite on the 3 so it should hold. Then I got mixed up w the door lock acuator but got it eventually. Jeez i thought new cars were a pain, not as bad as head gaskets on a diesel tho lol. Both cut me up good!

shem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drilled another whole so that I could get all the bolts in the motors. Worst thing to have is a motor that moves around on ya. My 98 Camaro was just as difficult with the rivets and drilling.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, yes. Yes, they are.

I had both of mine replaced when I had the car painted two years ago. One of the "new" motors failed last year, right after I'd replaced the glass in both doors and carefully sealed the plastic back up. So I had to tear it all apart again.

I've been in the door enough now that I know to just drill the two brackets out; it doesn't take long to remove or put them back on and makes access much easier. What I found with the motor was the origami process to get it out of the door was more difficult than getting it back in.

I also replace what I can with stainless bolts and nylock nuts, but if you own this car long you will come to loathe 1/4" rivets...
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im half thinking about rodneys kit to do it once right the first time and not multiple times.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put red loctite on the bolts, def dont wanna do it again. Yes it was red loctite not blood. Blood went everywhere else lol this cars vicious. I looked on rodneys page, all I saw was window helpers, whudda those do?

Fieros came w a subwoofer?!

shem
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2017 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had to replace my driver's side motor, I looked up some instructions
on doing the job. The person mentioned not being able to get the 4th nut/bolt in
as the regulator arm blocks you. So what I tried was to JB weld some locking
nuts onto the bracket before I installed the motor. That way all I had to do is
screw in the bolts (with lock tight of course) when installing the motor. I wanted
to make sure I had the motor secure with all 4 bolts. Just a suggestion if you
have to do it again some time. This does mean it takes more then 1 day to do
the job as you need to let the JB weld set up over night.

Also, Try putting some duck tape or something around the edges of the door
hole openings. That way you won't get cut up doing the job.

[This message has been edited by Larry Nakamura (edited 05-09-2017).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2017 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good call Larry, didnt even think of jb weld. Ill post up how long it holds w the red loctite on 3. I hope I dont ever have to reply lol

shem
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2017 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

I put red loctite on the bolts, def dont wanna do it again. Yes it was red loctite not blood. Blood went everywhere else lol this cars vicious. I looked on rodneys page, all I saw was window helpers, whudda those do?

Fieros came w a subwoofer?!

shem

Rodney window helpers - installs a relay between the window switch and the motor. Right now (if still factory) all the current that drives the window motor passes through the window up/down switch. Some have said it helps with the speed.

subwoofer - yes on the cars that had the "performance sound system". There is a sub "volume control" located in the overhead light assembly (can't miss it).
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is more work but I would pull the door skin off the door to free up more space. You will have to remove the the inner door panel, the plastic headed hex screws, door trim piece, outer door skin and you will probably need to buy more clips. Its not that hard to do but its a lengthy process . As for the motors themselves, most of the no name Chinese imports that they sell on eBay are garbage. Most people that I know who used them say that within a year they are toast. Try to get the AC Delco motor. They are tested for reliability.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn thats pretty pimpy for these car to have a sub as a factory option. Mine has no overhead console or headliner. The roof had a sunroof once upon a time, the cutout is there. I think they got a standard fiero roof to glue on top. Cuz its hella loose lol. I wanna shoot whoever made this kit car. U gonna do that much work just do it right jeez. Man i thought ive taken some shortcuts of stuff but this car makes me look like chip foose. Im sure you could remove the door panels on a fiero but I dunno about this kit car. Its prolly all held together w glue lol. Thats failing lmao

shemmy
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Fieros had a cutout for the sunroof, check your RPO codes to see if it had it originally.

This is the Rodney kit mentioned:
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=21&products_id=383
That's what I'll go with if mine ever need to be replaced.
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man rodneys got some killer stuff. I hope I dont hafta touch the motors for a looong time. Im making a list of things to order from him. Thanks for that info, folks here know so much its awesome

shem

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock