3800sc exhaust lost and confused by ltlgt88
Started on: 05-02-2017 07:30 PM
Replies: 21 (503 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 05-05-2017 09:10 PM
ltlgt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend new to Fieros not on here and not approved yet to post, and trying to figure out an exhaust on a 88 formula that he just got that had a 3800sc in it.

He has a custom exhaust guy working with us. They have tried the magnaflow Camaro v6 muffler, and v8 muffler. Both are too tight according to him with not enough clearance to not bump into frame or trunk.

He is trying to tell us that my only option is a y pipe out of the manifold to two glass packs.

People post about the spintech muffler with success. Why does it work over the magnaflow length is not an issue. Is it because it is thinner and fits between the cradel and trunk?

He want to keep my trunk, but also really don't want the glass packs option.

I also saw something about a couple inch mod that Darth Fiero did to the trunk for the magnaflow. Does anyone have a step by step with detail pictures of that?

What should he do? Want to keep it hidden the most we can and be able to drive down the road without drive and earplugs.

Any help appreciated want to solve soon

[This message has been edited by ltlgt88 (edited 05-02-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not the difficult, this is mine and my trunk is perfectly intact.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your friend should get an exhaust from WCF.

No trunk hacking needed, and they should know how to make it fit a Fiero, even if they don't have your friend's specific Fiero at the shop.

If your friend doesn't want to buy the exhaust from them, he can still use the pictures for inspiration on how to route the exhaust.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-02-2017).]

ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

It's not the difficult, this is mine and my trunk is perfectly intact.

He said he is hitting the trunk or cradel a only like 1/8 inch clearance.. Do you have pictures of it installed from underneath?
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I have any pictures installed but it is tight. The heat shield on the trunk side needed to be removed and I added a heat padding under the carpet. There are no heat issues even in the most extreme conditions.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

I don't think I have any pictures installed but it is tight. The heat shield on the trunk side needed to be removed and I added a heat padding under the carpet. There are no heat issues even in the most extreme conditions.

How much does the heat shield gain? And just with insulation? It stays somewhat cool in trunk?
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't fit on mine either without making it the lowest point on the car. I think trunk clearance varies a bit between cars.
I decided to cut my trunk flat on the bottom and lay the muffler flat below it.
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Domtech:

Didn't fit on mine either without making it the lowest point on the car. I think trunk clearance varies a bit between cars.
I decided to cut my trunk flat on the bottom and lay the muffler flat below it.

We have seen online that Darth bends the front side of the trunk in 1-2 inches.. Hoping someone has details on that and instructions on that.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the EXACT setup that I went with. I used a standard Camaro muffler, verses the performance.

I did this due to the performance one has more of a "drone" at highway speeds. This is pretty much the setup that 90% of people that do a swap go with. It is close, but no need to cut the trunk, and none of the exhaust is hitting the trunk or frame in any way. Print out a copy of this photo, and take it to your exhaust guy. Tell him that this is what everyone uses, and no cutting of the trunk is necessary. I am sorry to say, if he can not do it, then you need to find another person. Not being degrading or mean, but as far as custom exhausts go, this is a very easy one to do.

THIS IS THE MUFFLER I PURCHASED, and the exhaust shop talked me into using the stock Camaro muffler, as it would not be quite as loud as this one. The performance muffler will have a deeper, "meaner" tone, but I am looking for more the sleeper type I have this muffler new in the box for a good price if anyone is interested.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-03-2017).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2017 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...1048&style=printable

Thanks. Not cheap. Your average muffler shop maybe afraid to do this custom job. Not because it is mine but I haven't heard a better sounding muffler for the 3800 than this one.
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey JohnWPB!

I recognize that picture!
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally prefer the style I posted above. With that style of Muffler, you have one input at the top of the mullfer. Then, at the botton you have an output to each side of the car. You do not need to bend one around 180 degrees to go to the other side of the car. Also, this setup does sit a little low to begin with. With the one that wraps around to go to the other side, sitting around 4-6 inches lower.

As a bonus, the one with outputs on each end, is neater, requires less parts and fabrication, thus it's cheaper
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
I did this due to the performance one has more of a "drone" at highway speeds. This is pretty much the setup that 90% of people that do a swap go with. It is close, but no need to cut the trunk, and none of the exhaust is hitting the trunk or frame in any way. Print out a copy of this photo, and take it to your exhaust guy. Tell him that this is what everyone uses, and no cutting of the trunk is necessary. I am sorry to say, if he can not do it, then you need to find another person. Not being degrading or mean, but as far as custom exhausts go, this is a very easy one to do.

THIS IS THE MUFFLER I PURCHASED, and the exhaust shop talked me into using the stock Camaro muffler, as it would not be quite as loud as this one. The performance muffler will have a deeper, "meaner" tone, but I am looking for more the sleeper type I have this muffler new in the box for a good price if anyone is interested.

Are you saying that is the one you bought, but not the one you used?
What year is your car? That Magnaflow one would not fit on my 88 unless I were to bend the trunk wall in at least an inch.
REDLINE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDLINESend a Private Message to REDLINEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB, shot you a PM on that muffler you have.

Thanks
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2017 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Domtech:

Are you saying that is the one you bought, but not the one you used?
What year is your car? That Magnaflow one would not fit on my 88 unless I were to bend the trunk wall in at least an inch.

Yes, I bought that one, and the muffler shop said it would be a little louder that what I described to them as for what I am going for. Therefore I still have it new in the box, and they just used a stock Camaro muffler they stock. I do not know the model number of it unfortunately. My Fiero is an 86 GT.

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2017 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 is a tighter space for exhaust due to the shape of the cradle being wider on the pass side a little further inward then the 84 to 87 model making the muffler have to shift to the pass side about two inches. This will still work just very tight fit and needs to be made right on the car to be sure it does clear
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Yes, I bought that one, and the muffler shop said it would be a little louder that what I described to them as for what I am going for. Therefore I still have it new in the box, and they just used a stock Camaro muffler they stock. I do not know the model number of it unfortunately. My Fiero is an 86 GT.

Any chance you might chase down the details from your muffler shop on the stock Camaro unit? Thanks!

Jim
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Any chance you might chase down the details from your muffler shop on the stock Camaro unit? Thanks!

Jim

My car is in a mechanics shop, and I can't take it to them to look at. I will call the muffler shop tomorrow and see if they can pull it up in their system.
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2017 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hasn't anybody tried the Vibrant style side inlet with end outlets like sold on ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vib...AOSwB09YCjNq&vxp=mtr

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock