Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Where can I get replacement shift and select cable boots?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where can I get replacement shift and select cable boots? by 2.5
Started on: 04-21-2017 01:48 PM
Replies: 8 (323 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 04-28-2017 02:21 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones in the engine bay on top my 88 Getrag 5 speed. The shifter cable rubber accordion shaped boot is ripped in half. The select cable never came with a boot but I'd like to add one. I see stuff for boats on ebay, (too big) motorcycle ones look too small, there is a porshe one.
I assume if I disconnected the transmission end of the line I could slip a boot on there...

Wondering if anyone has ideas. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Berlzebub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2017 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BerlzebubSend a Private Message to BerlzebubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The ones in the engine bay on top my 88 Getrag 5 speed. The shifter cable rubber accordion shaped boot is ripped in half. The select cable never came with a boot but I'd like to add one. I see stuff for boats on ebay, (too big) motorcycle ones look too small, there is a porshe one.
I assume if I disconnected the transmission end of the line I could slip a boot on there...

Wondering if anyone has ideas. Thanks!

If I'm thinking about the same thing you're talking about, Rodney Dickman sells the cables. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...o.php?products_id=37

The boots are already on them, but maybe you can contact them to see if they'll sell you the boot separately, and maybe even suggest the other boot you want.

Edited to add: At the bottom of that page, he has the selector cable with a boot on it, and talks about how they didn't come that way from the factory.

[This message has been edited by Berlzebub (edited 04-21-2017).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2017 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The select cable never came with a boot but I'd like to add one.

Yeah, it's such a crappy design. The tranny end of the select cable sticks straight up under the driver's side engine bay grill... so when it rains, water works its way into the cable. Great fun in winter when the temperature drops and water in the cable freezes solid.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-22-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2017 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2017 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, it's such a crappy design. The tranny end of the select cable sticks straight up under the driver's side engine bay grill... so when it rains, water works its way into the cable. Great fun in winter when the temperature drops and water in the cable freezes solid.

LOL Yup been there. Nothing like sitting in your freezing car waiting for your shift cable to thaw!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help guys.
Rodney's bellows would be made to fit his cables which don't look like the same diameter ends as stock. But possibly close enough. I'll email him and see if he'll sell just bellows.
Some of hose McMaster bellows could work, the ebay ones I was digging up look promising too and at 1/4 the cost of the cheapest McMaster ones I may try those first.

If anyone else finds something please pass the word

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-25-2017).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney says his wont fit over the cable end.
I guess I would need one made of a really flexible rubber.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2017 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember reading that people will often soak the rubber boot in hot (near-boiling?) water for awhile to soften the rubber - allowing it to flex enough to pull over larger fittings (I think that was a rack boot IIRC)?

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a bad tip thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock