Started on: 04-14-2017 02:59 PM
Replies: 31 (1594 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 12-29-2017 08:39 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've decided to install t-tops on my 88 coupe. I'm still in the what have I gotten myself into phase of the conversion. I purchased the complete t-top roof kit from boysatt here on the forum. I got new glass seals and p seals from fieroparts.com. I got new lock sets from boomtastic. I also got a set of reproduction end caps. Some pictures of the parts:
http://img.photobucket.com/...5B78_zpsumv6c9fa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...F9DE_zpsxvdblnek.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...D26B_zpszfnewm5f.jpg

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: The other summer car
03 BMW X5: bad weather car

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 07-30-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been cleaning, sand blasting and painting parts. Have all the steel parts and frame finished. The aluminum trim pieces are going to get walnut blasted as soon as I switch over the media in my blasting cabinet. I also reconditioned the seals with some rubber seal conditioner from BMW.

http://img.photobucket.com/...9582_zpsgkicryqe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...DDA5_zpsrjeo94ua.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...8D84_zpsoosgla4i.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...6A99_zpsoaslu7mx.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/...B2B6_zpsual2ch2o.jpg

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 08-19-2017).]

Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. It takes a lot of balls to cut your roof off, can't wait to see the finished product.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chief08:

Looking good. It takes a lot of balls to cut your roof off, can't wait to see the finished product.

Can't agree more!

I happen to have the C&C installation instructions in pdf if you would like.
Could email them to you.

I found them and downloaded them as a troubleshooting guide for mine.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

Can't agree more!

Could email them to you.

Yeah if you wouldn't mind. I've been unable to download it. My email is the one listed above.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just sent the install manual to you.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it! Thank you. I'm planning on cutting the roof next weekend. Have a few more parts to clean and paint.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2017 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got another package of new parts today. Has a new center bar, front molding and both rear moldings. I think I finally have everything ready to go. Now to get the time to install it.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2017 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just keeping this up near the top and waiting to see if this happens or not.

If I had the skill set, I have been thinking about putting mine back to a solid roof as it was built that way to begin with.
LOL, not going to happen, but thinking about it..... has anyone ever put a T-top back to a solid roof car?

(read signature lol)

------------------
There's one in every crowd, and usually it's me.
1988 GT non CJB T-top (I still think the non CJB ones are rarer! lol)
Soon, another '88 GT to have fun with!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just keeping this up near the top and waiting to see if this happens or not.

If I had the skill set, I have been thinking about putting mine back to a solid roof as it was built that way to begin with.
LOL, not going to happen, but thinking about it..... has anyone ever put a T-top back to a solid roof car?

(read signature lol)

I don't think I could ever convince myself it was worth it. I'd just buy another fiero that was a solid roof.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I don't think I could ever convince myself it was worth it. I'd just buy another fiero that was a solid roof.

LOL, exactly what I just did!

The T-tops are staying..
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL, exactly what I just did!

The T-tops are staying..

Good choice
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No real update this week. Need to get time to do the install.
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Could email them to you.

I would like it Dave. My e-mail is correct in the profile/e-mail/PM/edit/quote toolbar.

Thanks.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I would like it Dave. My e-mail is correct in the profile/e-mail/PM/edit/quote toolbar.

Thanks.

I just sent you a copy!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2017 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to add pictures of the new trim pieces.

http://img.photobucket.com/...A5C8_zpscg4weelu.jpg

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 08-19-2017).]

Nextel dude

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I did my t-top install years ago I pulled the seats out and used several old bedsheets to cover the entire interior, dashboard and all to catch the metal shavings from drilling a crap ton of holes (about 50 if I am correct) to rivet the t-top bracket in place. Made clean up a breeze.

If using a recip saw make sure you buy good blades which will make faster, cleaner cuts. I started with cheap blades which wasted time as I had to go chase more blades. Also I bought a harbor freight big ass rivet tool which made it a lot easier with those large rivets. Even having a big tool your arms will be sore when your done.

And lastly but should be the first thing, I used floor jacks under each door sill to support the car as I cut the top off. Was way easier than some other ways people supported the car to keep it from pinching the doors closed. Also before installing the t-top bracket rivets double check the door gaps so you end up with the doors aligned properly. Floor jacks make it simple to make any adjustments on the door gaps and are not in the way while you are working.

I did my install by myself in one day maybe 8 hours total. The next morning I washed it checking for water leaks and was done.

Good Luck and enjoy your new t-top fiero.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Thanks.

Sorry cliffw, just saw this and emailed you a copy of it.
Glad I am being of some service to someone on here instead of just an old fart posting about his trials and tribulations. heheheh

Still waiting to see this happen, and to be honest, I just could not do it myself.... capable of it, but..... gulp!!!!!
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nextel dude:

Also I bought a harbor freight big ass rivet tool which made it a lot easier with those large rivets. Even having a big tool your arms will be sore when your done.

The pneumatic ones make it even easier... and your arms don't get sore at all
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow is the day. I finally have a day with everyone out of the house so I'm going to install my t-tops. I'll take pictures of the process and post them. Going to go pick up a saw and grinder today at lowes. One question, what is everyone using for adhesive when installing the frame?
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No advice on the adhesive, but a plug for a relevant product: I spent $15.00 on a Diablo brand carbide tipped metal cutting recip saw blade, and was miffed at the price, never spent that much on one saw blade in my life...but this one blade has now zipped through about 5 jobs that would have killed any normal blade...and it still looks and works like new. Highly recommended.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (DD)

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of work today. Everything fits good. Have to take it back out, install the front stiffening bar then install the t-top frame with sealant and rivets.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Looking good
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got some time to work on the car again tonight. Got the reinforcement bar and t-top frame sealed and riveted in place. It's now part of the car.

kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good so far!
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see this actually is happening!
And I agree, it does look good so far, can't wait to see the completed project.

Did the installation guide I sent help at all?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the installation guide has been great. Very helpful. Thank you again for sending it.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 90% done. Have to trim the interior trim, trim and install the seal runs along the windshield and install/modify the headliner.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, looks like you did a great job on it. How are your seals?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Man, looks like you did a great job on it. How are your seals?

Seals are in pretty good shape. I have some bmw rubber seal restorer that I have been treating them with. It's really brought them back to life.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much done now. Have to glue the new seals to the glass, they leak slightly because they aren't glued. Headliner and trim is all installed. Pretty strange to sit in the car, look up and see sky after it being a hardtop for the last 17 years. I really like it!
PFF
System Bot
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2017 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, very nice. The next time I get up to Kalamazoo, I will have to take a look at it.

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Pretty much done now. Have to glue the new seals to the glass, they leak slightly because they aren't glued. Headliner and trim is all installed. Pretty strange to sit in the car, look up and see sky after it being a hardtop for the last 17 years. I really like it!

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 12-29-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock