Over the Roof Scoop Vent? by American Exotic
Started on: 04-13-2017 10:50 PM
Replies: 28 (1689 views)
Last post by: American Exotic on 05-25-2017 08:48 AM
American Exotic

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, just what the title reads is what I'm questioning. I've always loved the looks of the over the roof scoops but never got a chance to purchase any. I finally got my hands on some Thanks to a NIFE member. Let's put all the arguing aside on which way the air flows. I believe the air flows from under the car then Up and out of the vent. With the roof scoops, it's forcing air downward and forcing air back in. So overall the scoops are counter productive. What I'm thinking is, if I were to cut into the bottom rear of the scoops and put a vent in position to let the air escape. I absolutely hate to cut into them but if this idea works, I would Definately consider. I was thinking a 5" circular stainless steel vent. This is only my Sunday driver so really not concerned if I leave it as is, but if I were to take a long ride, it would be nice to know that my motor is venting properly. Please give some ideas, suggestions, or maybe someone has already done this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were me and I was worried about venting engine heat but I wanted to add the scoops, I would look into a vent on the deck lid to allow heat to escape without destroying the roof scoops. There are numerous vented deck lids on this forum. The idea of installing the roof scoops then cutting holes in them to negate them, to me, is stupid.
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I don't know if stupid is the word I was looking for, but your opinion. Either or, it's cutting into my deck lid or cutting into the roof scoop. I can look and see what deck lid vents are out there that might catch my interest. Looking through magazines and websites gathering ideas on different vents. So much to choose from makes it very difficult. I might keep everything as is atleast for the first couple rides, car shows, I can monitor the temperature and if no change or not much change. I'll probably keep everything as is. Any other ideas much appreciated. Thanks
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right, stupid wasn't the right word. Counter productive? The deck lid is probably easier to come by. Plus adding the scoops and then modifying them specifically to not do anything, so that they're intentionally purely cosmetic seems like a missed opportunity. With a good deck lid vent and those scoops forcing air in from the roof it would be good looking and functional.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TommyRocker

2808 posts
Member since Dec 2009
In fact, if it's a notchie you could have my rear deck lid to modify so you don't damage your nice one. It's not mint but it'll do for one that needs work anyways.
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much much Appreciated Tommy Rocker, but it is a FastBack. I would consider taking you up in that offer since this will be the first time cutting into my Baby but Thanks anyway. I'll keep my eyes open , Thanks Again.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

If it were me and I was worried about venting engine heat but I wanted to add the scoops, I would look into a vent on the deck lid to allow heat to escape without destroying the roof scoops. There are numerous vented deck lids on this forum. The idea of installing the roof scoops then cutting holes in them to negate them, to me, is stupid.

The Fi-Air-O over-the-roof scoops were designed for the 84 Coupe which has solid side panels and center VENT in decklid.

To use these scoops on a fastback GT, your best bet is to add a vent to the decklid.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-15-2017).]

American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, built for the 84 and that pic looks great with the scoops. Now on the GT, the decklid almost looks like it came with the car. Fits perfectly, would you happen to know the name or where that can be purchased? Thank You
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know where to get the sign in the rear window of the of the indy in the first picture?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2017 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DandRauto:

Anyone know where to get the sign in the rear window of the of the indy in the first picture?

I got it and my other INDY decals from here: http://fierosails.com/decal.html
I measured the window and he scaled it up to the size I wanted - sticks to outside of window.
Looks best if the rear window has medium dark tint (or darker) on the inside.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-18-2017).]

American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, the reviews that people are having regarding the issues of over the roof Scoops and venting the deck lid are unbelievable. There's so many opinions on what's right and what's wrong.I almost came to the decision of mounting my over the roof scoops and then purchasing a deck lid scoop to help vent the engine. Now with claims like , If you install a deck lid scoop the air coming over the roof of the Fiero will be forced inside the scoop also not venting the air out properly. I'm not real sure where to go with this. If I didn't like how they looked so much, I would probably just put them in the MALL section. Where I'm at now is to install the passenger side over the roof scoop only. I put it in position and I really like the one scoop. Just my opinion , but I'm thinking both scoops might be too much. So at least I'll have the drivers vent forcing the air out the way it's supposed to. I Thank everyone for their help and opinions.
PFF
System Bot
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my solid left and right panels with later vented ones. So now I have both sides AND the stock trunk lid vent. Has anyone else done that? Seems like I'm removing a lot more heat than I was with the stock solid vents...

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2017 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by American Exotic:

WOW, the reviews that people are having regarding the issues of over the roof Scoops and venting the deck lid are unbelievable. There's so many opinions on what's right and what's wrong.I almost came to the decision of mounting my over the roof scoops and then purchasing a deck lid scoop to help vent the engine. Now with claims like , If you install a deck lid scoop the air coming over the roof of the Fiero will be forced inside the scoop also not venting the air out properly. I'm not real sure where to go with this. If I didn't like how they looked so much, I would probably just put them in the MALL section. Where I'm at now is to install the passenger side over the roof scoop only. I put it in position and I really like the one scoop. Just my opinion , but I'm thinking both scoops might be too much. So at least I'll have the drivers vent forcing the air out the way it's supposed to. I Thank everyone for their help and opinions.

Sooo, are you going to sell the other one? If so I'm interested.
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi nosrac, as for now I have the other scoop sitting on the side lines just in case. I'm prepping the scoop and vent for paint right now, then when I finally take the Fiero out of hibernation. I'll see how everything works. If I'm not going to use it, I will PM you or place it on the Mall section so someone else can put it to use. That would be a little odd. Not sure if I've ever seen just one scoop for sale. I would have to look at pricing one only. Thanks
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2017 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, lots of opinions on them. If you put scoops on the side vents and dont have another vent, like the middle one, your fighting yourself. The vents are to let the engine bay heat out, with fresh air coming from under the car. If you put scoops over the roof to force air down, it will be going against the hot air trying to rise (come out)...unless you provide additional vents for that.
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2017 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, exactly my point from the first post. That's why I was interested in fabricating my excisting over the roof scoop with ventilation. Cutting in some kind of louvers or even a fan blade set up. Almost what a turbo would look like with the turbines spinning as the air is being forced through the scoops. I thought that might look nice if you're driving behind me. As posted earlier, I'm going to take one step at a time. I'll try only one scoop, passenger side, and see how that works. If that seems to not work, I picked up a vent for the deck kid and hopefully that will release some of the heat. Thanks
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2017 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I feel like I have to throw this in. My beautiful little 9 year old daughter loves to come in the garage and help me out whenever she gets a chance. We'll, last night, nasty rainy nothing to do night, I was in the garage working on the Fiero. My daughter took my scoops and put one in position on top of the vent, BACKWARDS. I had to do a double take but it somewhat works like that. With the scoops facing the opposite direction, no need for modifications. The air from under the car vents its way out as it would with a regular vent. The only problem is, the decklid would be tough to open, and cosmetically it just looks wrong. Made me think though, you can get some really nice scoops , big and bulky facing backwards, to take the place of the vents and do the same job. From the rear of the car it would look mean. Something done accidentally like that just created a whole new option for me/us. Maybe someone already has done this and I never noticed. If so, please show pics. Thanks
slowv8fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-01-2017 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slowv8fieroSend a Private Message to slowv8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would take a drivers pedophile side over the roof scoop pedophile if someone has one for sale in very pedophile good condition

[This message has been edited by slowv8fiero (edited 05-29-2017).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2017 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the last page of Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins by Bozzie (In the construction zone) ---- He apparently has prototyped a set and is considering making them for sale.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2017 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slowv8fiero:

I would take a drivers side over the roof scoop if someone has one for sale in very good condition

I have one on the drivers side but its not for sale. I've never had any cooling issues in the engine bay or trunk.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's definitely good to hear. That's my intention is just to have the one except on the passenger side. Paint being done this weekend. I can't wait, Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2017 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started converting Tom's aftermarket MR2 scoop.

I have spare vent so whole thing is removable.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-07-2017).]

American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2017 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks really nice. I've never seen an MR2 roof scoop , even on an MR2. I like how it sits right on top just over the edge of the Fastback window. Please show the final product when complete. I'm still up in the air with mine. My latest decision is painting the scoop or wrapping it. I really like the Carbon Fiber look on the newer Lamborghini's and looking into a quality wrap.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2017 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO the best looking and most functional over the roof scoop is the original INDY scoop. That captures cold air and forces it down into the engine compartment but its vented just as quickly out of the deck air grills. The Indy scoop must use a lifting mechanism that tilts the scoop back as the deck lid is raised to provide the necessary clearance. If you use the over the roof scoops that go over the air grills, only use one as Charlie did. That way a place for the hot air to flow out is not obstructed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by American Exotic:

Wow, that looks really nice. I've never seen an MR2 roof scoop , even on an MR2. I like how it sits right on top just over the edge of the Fastback window. Please show the final product when complete. I'm still up in the air with mine. My latest decision is painting the scoop or wrapping it. I really like the Carbon Fiber look on the newer Lamborghini's and looking into a quality wrap.

Thanks I did like the idea but my compressor died and I want to buy a better one next time.
I did the roof in carbon fiber using best 3m and hated it so took it off. I don't think carbon fiber suits my fiero anywhere. I painted it instead satin black. I also don't have side windows either now but vents.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-15-2017).]

American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2017 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI, if I can text or send an email to someone A pic of my Fiero with the scoop on, you post it, that would be much appreciated. I'm bad with uploading/downloading. As for now cosmetically, I'm very happy with it. Now when the weather gets hotter , that will be the real test. We'll see if everything behaves itself. I have now, a different issue! I took my Fiero to a local cars and coffee this last Sunday. Beautiful sunny morning and gorgeous cars all over. The Fiero sat next to a blue Corvette Z06 and a red Ferrari 458 Italia. The funny thing was, my car was getting lots of attention comparing to the other cars around mine. The question that was asked most is " What is this?". They were all pointing at the roof scoop. We all know, in all reality, the scoop on the GT's are useless. More of a cosmetic thing. To explain the whole story behind the 84's having them on , for a reason. To the way the engine exhausts the heat , got to be a struggle. I promise you I enjoyed every second of it but, what would you say? I can play it safe and admit it serves no purpose or I can come up with some fun conversations. The scoop really does get attention. With the hood open, it shows just the battery compartment underneath. With the hood closed, anything could be lurking underneath. Put yourself in my car and what would you say. I have a whole summer of car shows ahead of me and need a quick but legit answer to that question. Thanks
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2017 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always tell the truth.....(all of the green Fieros burned up).

How did you deal with the size/shape difference between the notchback and GT vent grilles when attaching the scoop to the grill?
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2017 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it was the green Fiero's? I thought it was the orange ones that were always catching fire! That's hilarious, I'm definitely going to have to use that. When I mounted it to the GT grill, I positioned it as far forward as I can go without hitting the roof. Also, as far left toward the decklid as I can go without interference of the lid when opening. So the vents are exposed more towards the Fastback window and the back of the vent.
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2017 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We'll, haven't been on all week but quick update. I Went to a local car show and WOW the attention this car gets. The Fiero always grabbed attention, lots of times, because it was the only one there. Or people love to tell stories and reflect. Now with this added scoop, people are asking or gathering around it thinking, what does that do? The best comment was, "Are you doing a James Bond movie, because it looks like with that scoop your car can go under water." Fun stuff, but quick update, I drove the car around for atleast a good half hour. Everything seemed to be purring like a kitten. Engine stayed cool, no issues whatsoever. So I feel better for now but still want to run some more tests. If I can send someone my pic and they can post it for me, much appreciated. Thanks for the PMs also, very nice, Thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock