Hydro Dipping is a cool way to make your fiero one of a kind by boysatt
Started on: 04-11-2017 08:52 PM
Replies: 10 (660 views)
Last post by: RCR on 04-14-2017 08:54 AM
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A buddy if mine has a drive shaft shop in town and he gets super slow in the winter since he mainly builds parts for tractors and heavy equipment. He decided to set up a hydro dipping tank and buy the products to do it. I was surprised actually how easy it is to get into it and cheap. The preprinted film comes in 36" in wide rolls and costs roughly .60 a linear foot. The more you buy the cheaper it gets. quite a few test parts, like wheels, interior parts, spoilers, atv fenders, etc... We got the hang doing it right the first place, but if you mess up, you just re dip the pattern again. After dipping you clear the parts with automotive grade clear coat and re-install.

I decided what the heck, why not try my fiero. I was boring and went with a carbon fiber. The film we used for my parts is designed to show the color of the part though it, so you can do any color you want in a carbon fiber pattern. My car is a burgundy-fuchsia kind of color, so the parts were prepped and shot in a base coat that kinda matched my car. Pictures below show how the parts turned out. All these parts took roughly 2 hours of labor start to finish to do.

I can't wait until the rest of my custom upholstery parts show up so I can install my new interior.

Shift surround after dipping, before clear. ash tray doors were dipped separate too.

This is the base color all my parts were painted prior to dipping.

Gauge cluster bezel after clear coat, in the sun it sure looks glossy.

More parts that I did, basically I pulled every small trim piece I had to dip.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2017 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like how this process works, and the film options seem endless. The woodgrain (even fancy wood patterns) turn out amazingly realistic and this is a painless, simple way to dress up a car. I had thought about hydro dipping my entire car, but parts like the whole fastback rear clip would require a massive setup to pull off.

I love this example that I stole from Google images:

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2017 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a really cool process; I didn't know about it.

Good to see that masking tape works with hydro-dipping (as in the PRND indicator window).
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2017 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first stumbled on HydroDipping - I watched video, after video, after video. It's fascinating to see it in action!

Nice parts too boysatt - they look awesome!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boysatt:

More parts that I did, basically I pulled every small trim piece I had to dip.

Nice! I'm going to have to look that up. Thanks for the tip!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A video showing various items and various patterns. How durable is this application? In the case of grills and wheels, will it stand up well to the elements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuXyeAGzEU

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should stand up as well as the clearcoat used on top would.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any successive coatings are only as good and durable as what they're applied to.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds very promising.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your parts look great. ++

Bob
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay