Intro and project direction assistance by fxcomet
Started on: 04-06-2017 07:05 PM
Replies: 4 (252 views)
Last post by: fxcomet on 04-08-2017 08:06 PM
fxcomet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fxcometSend a Private Message to fxcometEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the ad to the forum. I'm an avid and experienced car enthusiast, but just getting ready to dip my toes into the Fiero pool. I've a trade deal worked out with a nice guy who's had three Fieros for ever. One is an 86 SE, auto, with just over 30K documented miles. The body is essentially disassembled for paint prep and is about 95% ready to spray. It will need a front windshield and that's about all. The second one is an 86GT, also automatic with approx. 90K miles, partially disassembled and also needing a full respray. The last one is an 87GT, 5 speed car. It's in the worst condition of the three, also showing about 90K miles. It runs, but needs a clutch. Since all three cars have been sitting for quite some time, I'm fully aware they'll need a thorough going through. Also in the deal is a 3800SC GM motor and transmission as I'm considering an engine swap. It runs , shifts as it should with no smoke or noises.

I want to build one car for my grandson who is just turning 4, with an idea to get it as close to "perfect" as I can make it, drive and enjoy it, and then pass it on to him provided he has grown up to be the kind of kind who wants and deserves this kind of gift. BTW, he is already an absolute car NUT.

The other car, I want to possibly make into a hot rod, with ultimately an engine swap and a few other things to make it respectable on the street, but I've not fully decided if which motor to go with. I'm fully aware with many of the pro's and con's of the 4.9, the 3800SC, and the ubiquitous SBC in all it's iterations.

I wish I could hold out for a car already running and enjoyable, but my trade involves a 63 Thunderbird restoration that's stalled out and basically going nowhere. The Fiero owner is a retired paint and body guy who isn't intimidated with the work to be done on the Thunderbird. Deal will be straight up, 2 for 1 swap.

Given no cash is changing hands, which two would you snag and why? Looking forward to input from you resident experts. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2017 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi! Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the love of Fieros!!

As far as which cars to get, do you have any preference of fastback over notchback or visa versa? Since both GTs are fastbacks, if you prefer that style, it would be a great choice. Conversely if you like the notchback better definitely get the 86 SE. Another thought is, do you have any preference for manual or automatic? And of course if one car is going to be for your grandson his preference may matter too, but as a 4 year old, if you tell him your preference he will probably agree.
Another factor to consider is the options they have. Power doors/ windows/mirrors, which stereo, trunk release, rear defogger, etc. One of my Fieros came with no options and I took several years to find and install all the options I wanted which could have been spent on other mods if the car came fully loaded. Since the ones you are considering are GTs and an SE, they probably have similar options, but still something to consider.
Interior color is another thing to think about. If the cars have different colors which do you like better. There are many great vendors like MrMikes for seats, Russ88ttops for upholstery and others that can help restore the interior if condition is poor, but changing color is another level of work to do.

Since you are experienced with cars and have goals to do a lot of mods, engine swaps, etc, mileage probably isn't a big issue to worry about. So I would recommend just going off of preferences.

If I was given the choice, I would take the 87 GT for sure and swap the 3800 in it. if the clutch needs replacing might as well just take the engine out and swap in the 3800 while at it.
For the other its pretty much a toss up for me. I actually prefer notchbacks, but I already have 3, so I'd be fine with taking 2 GTs. It would come down to the color and options on those. Or the low mileage could be nice on the SE, I've never had a Fiero with under 50K, so that might get my choice.
alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2017 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was me, I would keep the car I had, because that way I would have one unfinished project I would never complete instead of two unfinished projects! However, you sound more handy then me, so good luck with whichever two you choose. I have always liked the GTs better, so I would acquire those. That also gives you an auto and a manual. Most days I prefer driving my auto GT, but on weekends where there is no traffic our 5 speed Fiero is much more fun!
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd take the notchback and the manual fastback. Swap the clutch and have a rubbing driving Fiero that is already rough so you can customize and hot rod it as you repair it. Maybe focus on restoration of the notch. Then you'd have one of each.
fxcomet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fxcometSend a Private Message to fxcometEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the welcome and the input. The two cars I was considering simply needed more work than I had time. I'm going for a different car, an 86 GT auto. Car's in real fine shape. The original paint is a little thin, one headlight motor is inop, but is perfectly serviceable as is. Should have it in a week or so. I'll study up on the how-to's and post a couple pics later.

Thanks again!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock