86 2m6 SE that has been parked outside for 10 years by dohcdragon
Started on: 03-17-2017 02:49 PM
Replies: 7 (220 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 03-18-2017 10:10 PM
dohcdragon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dohcdragonClick Here to visit dohcdragon's HomePageSend a Private Message to dohcdragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey all. I had 2 Fieros in my early 20s. I'm now 38. I was talking to a new friend about cars and long story short hes giving me a 86 2m6 se manual that has been sitting in his backyard for 10 years. He tells me it was running when it was parked. I have always loved Fieros and i plan on fixing it up. I will post pictures later. My question is does anyone have a list of the parts that would need to be replaced to get it back to running. I know it needs tires and breaks. Im not sure what to do about the gas, I really don't want to pull the tank to clean it out but if i have to i will. I know all fluids will have to be drained. basically i'm looking for suggestions to get it back to operational. It only has 48k on it. Im not looking to swap the engine or anything like that at the moment. any and all suggestions would be helpful. I do not have the car yet. I am located in Houston TX and the car is in Laurens SC. I paid to have new tires put on and will have it transported once that is completed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the tank, even if by some chance the pump still works the rubber hose connecting it will be gone. You'll need a master cyl, replace or rebuild the calipers, replace the master and slave to the clutch, and most important clean out all the mice/rats nests. Mine sat indoors for 10yrs and is now on the street.
dohcdragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dohcdragonClick Here to visit dohcdragon's HomePageSend a Private Message to dohcdragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
adding all of that to my shopping list. ty.
dohcdragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dohcdragonClick Here to visit dohcdragon's HomePageSend a Private Message to dohcdragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dohcdragon

4 posts
Member since Feb 2017
one other question would be best place to get the parts suggested. thanks in advance.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2017 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago when I did mine a lot of the parts where available local, however I did get the last 2 calipers they had,my rears were beyond rebuilding. I do suggest the slave cyl you get from Rodney. The internet is a great place for us old car guys, almost anything is available somewhere.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the plugs (good luck with the front ones) and put some oil in the cylinders before you try to turn it over, it's probably well rusted in there. Crank by hand using a socket/bar on the bolt that holds the engine pulley.
With ref to the mice nests above, remove the heater fan in the front compartment where the spare sits or even the whole plastic panel that forms the ducting. Usually lots of leaves and mice nests in there pluse three bug resistors that form the speed control for the blower fan. Those get hot (red hot), add some leaves or a nest and you're' toasty!

For parts, The Fiero store is pretty good for a lot of stuff. Prices might be a little high but hey, if it keeps them in business I am OK with that, at least they are there.
Rodney Dickman also does a lot of custom and upgrade stuff.
For standard parts Rock Auto (online) has always been pretty good although I think it's getting harder to find a lot of the really old or Fiero specific stuff now.
Otherwise it's the mall on here or, god forbid, eBay! Your local (and further afield) Craigslist can often be a source of parts as well.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 03-18-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't bother ordering parts or doing anything until
dump oil. oil may have water etc and you don't want oil pump to suck that.
pulling plugs, heavily spray cyl's w/ PB Blaster Kroil etc, and turn w/ wrench on main bolt in crank.
you should pull 1-2 turns of entire engine to make sure all big parts move.

Likely will have problem just removing plugs... spray w/ above penetrating oils and let oil to do the job for a few days.

then
dump fuel tank and cleanup/fix
Remove AC/heater blower and at least check for problems before you have fire problem for leaves mice etc. If you don't to that... Disconnect blower resister at minimum before you turn Ignition key.

Brakes calipers etc maybe good but rotors likely have too much rust to save by turning.
clutch mater maybe ok but slave likely not.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Along with what others are saying, replace the radiator cap, thermostat housing cap (the seals tend to start to leak after sitting for years) and once the engine is running test the radiator fan to make sure it is coming on at proper temps. It may need a new relay and/or fan switch.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock