Road and Track, "It's Finally Time for the Chevrolet Fiero" by 2.5
Started on: 03-08-2017 09:14 AM
Replies: 8 (354 views)
Last post by: tshark on 03-08-2017 05:14 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.roadandtrack.com...the-chevrolet-fiero/

...You could just as easily mount the whole thing in the back to create a transverse-engined RWD vehicle, although hardly anybody ever bothers to do it. You could also rotate the powertrain 180 degrees and put it between the seats and the rear wheels. Pow! Instant mid-engined car, with almost zero engineering effort required.

If this sounds vaguely familiar, it's because it's how we got the Pontiac Fiero.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh, 'scuse me, why would you rotate the drivetrain 180°?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Ah that pesky geometry
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was in the context of flipping the Citation front end around to go in the rear...180 degrees.

As I posted in the FB group, I don't see this happening. As proposed, the sales would largely be at the expense of other GM models, including the Corvette and doing that requires someone at the Lutz level to evangelize. A turbo V6 with HP in the mid 300s is exactly what many of us Kappa (Sky/Solstice) owners were hoping for in Gen 2 of that platform, along with a more refined interior. But again, that platform had Lutz behind it and it died after four years and I don't see them trying it again for at least another ten, at which point it would be electric, not gas. And then it's not a $30k car, it's $60k+ and the point is lost. Heck, even the 2.0 turbo Sky and Solstice were over $30k and that was with a shitty interior and ten years ago.

Don't get me wrong- I'd love to see an American made, mid-engine, two seater that is affordable (sorry Corvette, you aren't) and has real power. Heck, I'd like to see Mazda put out a Miata with 350HP.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I saw that article and the author doesn't know a single thing about engineering vehicles.
jazz4cash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hehehe...yeah I caught that too.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No no no! Do not rotate it 180 degrees....You have to rotate it exactly (Now pay attention- Very technical!) 360 degrees....One degree off will cause all kinds of trouble....and not rotating it...well, lets not go in to the absolute disaster that would create.......
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "backwards drivetrain" thing gets repeated in a lot of literature or public knowledge about the Fiero. Its probably one that will never die.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 03-08-2017).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is vaguely familar.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097353.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock