What kind of tires are you running on your 15 inch wheels by Raymac85
Started on: 02-13-2017 05:08 PM
Replies: 12 (348 views)
Last post by: Bruce on 02-16-2017 11:45 AM
Raymac85

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious. Is there a tire manufacture that makes a nice sticky tire for are 15 inch wheel size? What is the best tire you have found thanks.

------------------
85 SE v6
86 GT 4.5l v8

[This message has been edited by Raymac85 (edited 02-13-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to say they are quickly dis-appearing. We are left with all-season tires: some are softer than others. The pickings get thinner when 2 sizes are needed.

One that is left is the Pirelli 6000 . it has a UTQG 180 rating and costs $250 a tire!! (but 180 IS sticky!!)

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-13-2017).]

Raymac85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the impute. Ya I'm finding it very hard to find a nice tire.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much all that's left in 14" and 15" sizes are all-season radials and racing slicks.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need 245 x 50 x 15 and 265 x 50 x 15 and they have gotten much harder to find in the last four years. I can get a few in Mastercraft, maybe Cooper, and Hankook or at least I could when I last purchased tires.

Nelson
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using 16" tires because it is very hard to find good tires in that size anymore.....That said, I just looked on line and found that Cooper tires still makes a very good tire; Their CS5 Ultra touring tire looks pretty good, has the 2 sizes you need, and tho expensive thru most outlets($105-125) I found them at Performance Tread for $70.....I usually buy thru Tirerack and have them delivered to the Big-O near my house. See if you can find a local tire store that is willing- TireRack has an actual list, but I know nothing about Performance Tread.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2017 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is not hard to find 15" tires..
Problem is they are not a high volume sales size anymore and most will not spend the money and buy the cheaper tire..
The tires are avail. but most times are not "Stocked" as the d.o.t. has rules on tire age.. and no warehouse wants to stock tire sized that might sit on a rack for 1-2-3 years waiting on a sale..
so they are stocked at national warehouses not the local tire jobbers..
16" tires are going the same way.... in a few years 17 or 18" will have the same problem.. they'll be avail. but not for the tire store low sales pricing..
If say Firestone makes an all season tire in your wanted size ,they can make a sticky one in that same mold.. it's only a call away..
are you willing to pay the price for a limited volume tire??
BFG had/has the KD line.. most are double the same size tire in the same brand as it's a lower volume item..
It's only going to get worse. if the oem's don't pick a solid winner and stop with the having 16/17/18/19/20/22/24 sizes on new vehicles..
I have not bought 17-18 wheels for this reason.. what one will be the winning end and what one will go the way of the doe doe.. the 17 or 18?
Still many racing series with 15" rubber on smaller cars.. Also many vehicles outside the USA.. That if you are not in a rush can be sent over with the order normally shipped sizes from the same plant..
again only a call away..
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Kumho ECSTA LX 215/60/15's on the front and 225/60/15's on the rear of my 87. They hold the curves very well. I just checked for someone else and Tire Rack still has them for $60+ each. Or BF Goodrich for about $125 each. For me, shipping has been under $70 for 4 and installation has been at about $12 per tire. Those charges may be different for you. Tire Rack has a facility in Georgia, so I'm reasonably close.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I am using 16" tires because it is very hard to find good tires in that size anymore.....That said, I just looked on line and found that Cooper tires still makes a very good tire; Their CS5 Ultra touring tire looks pretty good, has the 2 sizes you need, and tho expensive thru most outlets($105-125) I found them at Performance Tread for $70.....I usually buy thru Tirerack and have them delivered to the Big-O near my house. See if you can find a local tire store that is willing- TireRack has an actual list, but I know nothing about Performance Tread.

The Cooper CS5 is a great tire, and readily available.
It's not sticky, but drives and handles well. Good wet weather performance as well.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BF Goodrich with the RWL and stock off sets is what I roll with on my Formula. Handles pretty well and looks great with the white lettering.
Raymac85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Raymac85Send a Private Message to Raymac85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the advise. Sounds like there is still a couple pretty good options left.
PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using Falken ze914s on the back and ze912s on the front in the stock Fiero sizes. Seem to be ok. In Australia this is the only set I could get that were at least made by the same manufacturer other then some Khumos, but those ones here are crap. Call them Solus KH17 or something.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had very good results with the General Alti-Max, which has been upgraded lately. The price is very reasonable, they are available in Tire Rack, and they come in the 205, 215 x 15" for my 86 GT.
b

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock