Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Slow leak with tire, turns out to be air escaping from rim.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Slow leak with tire, turns out to be air escaping from rim. by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 01-24-2017 10:05 AM
Replies: 9 (742 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 01-24-2017 02:22 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About a week ago, I noticed the passenger rear tire was going low. I searched for a nail or any cause, found none. Filled it, took about a week to go down again. Took it to the tire dealer, he found the leak was coming from the rim bead. When they wet down the wheel with soapy water, you could see bubbles in two places around the rim / tire. They dismounted the tire, found the rim had some corrosion where the tire meets the rim. He lightly sanded the area smooth, I was a bit worried as he did this, he said this happen often. Now a few days later, seems to have taken care of the problem. I've never heard of this happening, searched the web, do see there are actually documented cases where this has happened.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen it happen when a car sits for a period with a flat tire or the rim is left lying around without a tire on it. Sometimes they will leak around the bead because the bead of the tire is bad, too. On one occasion I've seen an alloy rim leak through the main body of the rim, due to a bubble in the casting. An American Racing slotted dish wheel I had on my kit car.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leaking between the tire and rim at the bead? If so, that happens up here about as often as a valve stem needing replaced. Especially on an older vehicle , especially with aluminum wheels. Corrosion.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leaking on the tire bead is one if not the most common issue. It happens on aluminum and steel wheels both. While it is more common with some weather conditions and or wheel and tire combo's it is just one of those things that happens.

Years ago we used to take a light bead of tranny fluid to soften the rubber and lube the wheel and generally it would fit it.

I can remember back in the 80's the Pontiac dealer would bring us tires to dismount on new Pontiac cars. The cast wheels once in a while would be porous and leak air though the casting. They would epoxy the wheel where the leak was and remount and balance the tire and wheel. That was the fix. It was much like JB Weld.

I worked at a gas station when I was in high school and collage and saw it all when it comes to tires.

There is also a rubber cement like material they can paint on the rim to help it seal too. Often if the steel rim was rusted I would hammer off the lose material. The Aluminum sanding or a light sanding disk can clean it up. Odds are it will return if it is not cleaned and sealed properly. Most aluminum wheels are resistant but it still can happen.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bead leaks from rust etc is very common and more so in states w/ high use of road salt.
Many places is SOP to make sure rims are clean of rust etc for this reason.

Some tire stores have dedicated machine to clean the bead area but is rare to have them.

Many allow rims can leak air thru the rim too.
To fix that need to unmount the tire and clean and coat the entire rim w/ spray sealer "paint" and wait to dry before mounting the tire.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by hyperv6:
There is also a rubber cement like material they can paint on the rim to help it seal too. Often if the steel rim was rusted I would hammer off the lose material. The Aluminum sanding or a light sanding disk can clean it up. Odds are it will return if it is not cleaned and sealed properly. Most aluminum wheels are resistant but it still can happen.
Bead sealer goes on the bead of tire.
I would use this because seals out water/crap that's wick into the bead causing the problem, more so after wire bush that removes rust, paint, and whatever on the rim.

Example http://www.31inc.com/Products/Details/303

Note that Sealers can make headaches to unmount the tires later.
85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked in a tire shop for 5 years and can say that is is indeed a VERY common thing. We had air die grinders beside every tire machine with wire wheels on them. Every single wheel, aluminum or steel, got brushed before the tire was put back on the wheel. On particularly bad wheels, you'd brush them, then paint them with bead sealer. Then again, I am in PA, where salt and calcium chloride is sprayed on the roads almost religiously from October to April, with or without snow it seems.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bead sealer goes on every tire here in any shop I have been to.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We used it on the rim or tire it just depended on what was easiest. It all ended up in the right place.

Also breaking the bead most times the material we used was not a big problem. The only beads that were a problem often were Michelin. They would be a tight fit with a slight undersize. They would take more air to seat ad more power to break down. Often they rusted like any other wheel.

This was back in the 80's and before many of the better tire machines we have today. I used to have to improvise on the machines we had. We used to do a lot of work for the major tire companies and often we saw larger wheels and wiser tires before anyone else. I remember mounting the first Comp TA radials back in the late 70's. We though 16" 50 series were crazy sized tires.

We did advertising so we did upgrade machines later to match the larger tires and the much more expensive wheels. They would give us wheels back in the 80's that were $650 to $2,000 and no margin for error. Also we started getting Goodyear and BFG race tires for photo shoots. I remember the large F1 tires from Goodyear. Even the large rear F1 tires mounted were something like 8 pounds even on the wheel. they were so light.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 01-24-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had bead leaks before. And apparently, the local tire shop is pretty familiar with that. Because they knew exactly what to do about it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock