Fiero V8 Clutch opinion's .... by Spree85gt
Started on: 01-11-2017 02:32 AM
Replies: 3 (587 views)
Last post by: Gwhite18 on 01-16-2017 02:00 AM
Spree85gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spree85gtSend a Private Message to Spree85gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a spec Stage 4 clutch SC774 for my 85 fiero sbc swap and I wanted to know peoples opinion on it. especially from (the ones who used it). thanks

[This message has been edited by Spree85gt (edited 01-11-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't run that specific Stage 3 clutch, but in my SBC/Getrag swap I ran Spec Stage 2+, Stage 3, and Stage 3+. In my LS4/F40 swap I run a stage 4+.

The 6 puck Stage 3 held the power, but chattered like crazy, was difficult to drive in parking lots, and stopped recommending its use many years ago. The Stage 3+ gives you full face friction material vs. the pucks and had much, much smoother engagement and better drivability. Stage 3+ is the clutch I recommend most often.

The only differences between the stage 3 and stage 4 versions is stage 4 has the solid hub. I have put 36K miles on the stage 4+ and it has the same smooth clutch release manners as the stage 3+ I ran. So I don't think the sprung/unsprung hub has much to do with smooth engagement as they puck vs solid ring friction material does.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a SPEC Stage II in a turbo 3.4 application for a number of years. Good clutch but grabby and painful to use in a lot of traffic. I have since replaced it with a Stage II + and am very happy with the smooth performance of this clutch. I also use a Stage III + on a 3800 SC vehicle and am very happy with how it drives.

Nelson
Gwhite18

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have experience with both the stage 3 and 4 spec clutches in my 1998 fbody. Like guru said the stage 3 chatters like crazy and is not very streatable. I switched to the solid hub stage 4 and haven't had any problems since. I have way more control over the engagement with the solid hub. I don't have experience with the 3+, but I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it. I think it is probably a better option for anything under 400hp that us going to be driven a lot.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock