When was my GT born? by railshot
Started on: 01-04-2017 07:37 PM
Replies: 10 (232 views)
Last post by: lateFormula on 01-05-2017 06:59 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unlike most of you, I cannot determine when my GT was born?
The door sticker is washed out to the point that it cannot be read, so.......

I was hoping that someone would have a similar serial number to mine, and give me a "born on" date.

My vin ends in 220504.
It is an '88.

I did find that the '88 vin's started with 200001 and went as high as 226401 or 2.
This would appear to make mine the 504th Fiero made in '88, which may explain why when I got it it had pre '88 rims on it.

I remember reading either here or somewhere else that the early '88's were shipped with pre '88 rims?
If this is true, I am for sure keeping my original rims, but enjoying the '88 rims I bought for it!
My RPO code for the rims I believe is YLM, but that could be either 215's all the way around or 205's on the front and 215's on the rear.

Much appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
220504 was the 20,504th Fiero built in the '88 model year....so it's near the end of production. There is usually a sticker on the ALDL connector under the arm rest. It has a date which is the date of assembly for the wiring harness. The harness build was usually a week or two ahead of final production. The stickers were cheap printing on paper and some have been lost.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is 220964, and was built in April. I read somewhere that the date is on the headliner.

Interesting topic. I hadn't really thought about the production number or order. Also interesting is the 2-week delay. I hadn't really considered that the car took weeks to build. I figured that they had the parts in piles, and just put them by as the car progressed down the line. Yes, I know there were 3,xxx welds.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is 220647, which puts it between railshot's and tshark's. If I remember right, mine was built in March or April '88.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 01-05-2017).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

220504 was the 20,504th Fiero built in the '88 model year....so it's near the end of production. There is usually a sticker on the ALDL connector under the arm rest. It has a date which is the date of assembly for the wiring harness. The harness build was usually a week or two ahead of final production. The stickers were cheap printing on paper and some have been lost.

Ahh, now that makes more sense as my T-tops were installed by a dealer using C&C in September and the total made was 26,401 I believe.
That would mean 5,897 were made after mine, probably putting it in around April like tsharks!

So my car sat for about 5 months without T-tops, and then someone had the dealer install them.
Too bad, I would have liked it more without them. LOL......

I will be taking the headliner and interior out someday this spring just to freshen it all up, so I will look at the harness for a tag there when I get that far.

Cool stuff everyone!

guess I can get rid of the rims without guilt now....

Keep 'em coming if you don't mind, I would love to narrow this down.

Edited to add want more!

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 01-04-2017).]

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
go to the t-top registry---he can give you the date--he got mine as leaving factory 6-28-88

http://www.fierottop.com/

------------------
Pat Jones

GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

Ahh, now that makes more sense as my T-tops were installed by a dealer using C&C in September and the total made was 26,401 I believe.
That would mean 5,897 were made after mine, probably putting it in around April like tsharks!

Total number of 88s was actually 26,402. My GT was #26,396 and 6th to the last Fiero and last 5-speed built. "Red's" birthday is August 16, 1988 and was one of ten Fieros built on the last production day. Fred was kind enough to hook me up with a CD / video of it coming down the production line. The last two Fieros were given away to plant employees and were autographed by employees.

Jeff
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

go to the t-top registry---he can give you the date--he got mine as leaving factory 6-28-88

http://www.fierottop.com/

I have tried the registry in the past, and mine being a non CJB T-top it makes sense it is not there.

GTGeff, that is really something to be proud of, seriously!
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an '88 registry on here somewhere. I've been searching, but can't find it. I know 88 Database Guy was maintaining an offline one, but there were MANY posts in a thread on here. Dunno where it went. Actually, each year had one, and there is one for Indy's, also. I'm sure your '88 is on there.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2017 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Contact 88databaseguy. But if the VIN and information hasn't been provided to him by a previous owner, he can't be of any help. I don't know if there's information in the headliner, but I believe he's asked people to check inside the overhead console for the sticker. There should also be a sticker on the driver's door that I believe has the production date? There's a sticker atop the white instrument panel skeleton that has some information. Maybe a production date. I believe it has the VIN number there and other info.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2017 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Formula was invoiced on July 11, 1988, so it probably rolled off the assembly line on the 7th or 8th of July. One of the last Formulas to be built.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock