Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Wife bought a 96 3.4 TDC motor for my 86 GT for Christmas... What do I need to know?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Wife bought a 96 3.4 TDC motor for my 86 GT for Christmas... What do I need to know? by Synthesis
Started on: 12-21-2016 11:05 AM
Replies: 13 (551 views)
Last post by: Synthesis on 12-27-2016 01:05 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To say I'm excited is an understatement...

She bought a 96 3.4 TDC from a 96 Monte Carlo. It has about 90k on the clock and from the images I've seen and the people I'm getting it from, I know it's in really good shape.

It comes with the factory harness and PCM, and looks to be accessory complete.

I plan to replace the belt, idlers and belt tensioner, and am tempted to replace the chain and tensioner/guide as well.

So: I have a 1986 GT with the 5 speed in it. My battery is located in the front of the vehicle, and the battery tray has been removed from the back of the car already.

I know I'll need to clearance the hinge box on the passenger side, and possibly trim the factory torque strut mount on the chassis.

Is there anything else I need to know with regards to using the factory mounts in the car other than fabricating a new dogbone bracket for the motor?

Are there any 1:1 wiring schematics for doing the swap?
Will the OBD2 PCM control my factory gauges without issue?

Any other advice you can give for this specific swap?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Christmas is a few days away..... she couldn't keep a secret?
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ummmmm.....Tell your wife she is the best wife........EV-ER!
Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no answers for you. Just jealousy.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Little Jon & Nick?
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to make a new mount for the engine on the pass side although I believe the 88 Fiero mount is supposed to work, not totally sure on that though. Everything you ever needed to know and maybe more on the swap on my web site. Knock yourself out.

PS. Wife sounds like a keeper!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same year motor in my 88. Loved it above 5000 rpm. if you want to see all my posts, type this into google

site:fiero.nl qwikgta DOHC

I hooked mine up to a 5 speed, and I used a harness and ECM from a 91 Cutlass that had a 5 speed. I made my harness and make sure you read every post on here about DOHC motors. A lot of the info is good, but there is some bad info on here. You will have to figure out if your going to use a 91-93, 94-95 or 96-97 ECM. They are all different. Since I had the harness and ECM from the 91 that is how I built mine. You have to change some of the sensors and some of the harness connections but overall its a very easy swap. The block is based on the same 2.8L so mounts are easy, the harness is the only trickey part. Also, just a heads up, the TB, fuel lines and shift cables all want to be in the same spot on the 96-97 motors, if I was doing it all over, id modify the TB arm to be shorter.

I may have a few parts leftover if you need anything.

Good luck

Rob
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a nice story to read but how did your wife know how to order an engine for you? My wife would be one to do the same but she doesn't even know how to open the hood, check the oil or put air in the tires-no joke!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This is a nice story to read but how did your wife know how to order an engine for you? My wife would be one to do the same but she doesn't even know how to open the hood, check the oil or put air in the tires-no joke!

A friend of ours has the motor sitting on a stand in the garage, complete with harness and PCM... I've been talking about it for a while now, and the wife went behind my back and bought the motor...

Also, I'm in contact with Darth via email, so I'm getting some PCM/Wiring advice there, though more here would be awesome.
Qwik, I plan to use the OBD2 system as I'd love to have the more modern management in the car (and be able to use Automatic/etc) for diagnostics and some potential body control module interfacing...
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2016 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a lot of data off this site.

http://www.dohcfiero.com/

Rob
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2016 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Ummmmm.....Tell your wife she is the best wife........EV-ER!

PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2016 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I'm in contact with Darth"

This
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2016 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

A friend of ours has the motor sitting on a stand in the garage, complete with harness and PCM... I've been talking about it for a while now, and the wife went behind my back and bought the motor...

Also, I'm in contact with Darth via email, so I'm getting some PCM/Wiring advice there, though more here would be awesome.
Qwik, I plan to use the OBD2 system as I'd love to have the more modern management in the car (and be able to use Automatic/etc) for diagnostics and some potential body control module interfacing...

ODBII is certainly better for diagnostics but if you use a PCM you may have to write a new program from scratch and the wiring job would be more intensive. Doable but much work. If you want to take an easier route there is an ECM for the TDC engine that will shift an automatic. Believe that it was used on a mid 90's Monte Carlo. If you use that ECM (IIRC OBD 1.5) and the 3.4L TDC harness the wiring task will be far easier and no programming will be required .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

ODBII is certainly better for diagnostics but if you use a PCM you may have to write a new program from scratch and the wiring job would be more intensive. Doable but much work. If you want to take an easier route there is an ECM for the TDC engine that will shift an automatic. Believe that it was used on a mid 90's Monte Carlo. If you use that ECM (IIRC OBD 1.5) and the 3.4L TDC harness the wiring task will be far easier and no programming will be required .

Thanks for the advice. I'm still determined to do the OBD2 swap. I also have Manual transmission.
I'm still trying to find a good source on exactly WHAT needs to be done wiring-wise. It is my understanding that the OBD2 PCM that comes with the engine will drive the factory gauges without issue, and that the PCM can be set to output the correct signal for the speedometer.

Any info you can provide on wiring would be extremely helpful though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock