Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1986 GT 3800SC

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
1986 GT 3800SC by TXGOOD
Started on: 12-14-2016 01:03 PM
Replies: 15 (404 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 12-16-2016 02:14 PM
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you guys think is a ballpark value for my car?
It`s a 1986 GT with a 2004 3800SC and 4T65E-HD (Done by Mstngsbware)
It has about 100K on the odometer and close to same on engine.
The good:
Vented hood (Paul Angel scoop)
Vented decklid (Paul, mustang style scoop as well)
Lambo doors (Vertical Doors Inc kit)
Moulded rear Camaro style spoiler (Fiero Warehouse)
Flared rockers (Fiero Fiberglass)
Vents behind front wheels (Paul Angel)
AusFiero side vents
AC works

The bad:
Engine has internal vacuum leak (High STFT at idle plus rough idle)
Trarnsmission has slight leak (Not sure where from)

Edit: I forgot to mention, it does have a rebuilt title.



[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 12-14-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman
Member
Posts: 1414
From: Brownton, Minnesota, USA
Registered: Dec 2011


Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanClick Here to Email GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice looking car. are you getting out of the fiero game?

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, FSIC, N*, 1.9 rollers
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.9 motor
1985 Honda V65 Magna

IP: Logged
Dirty Harry
Member
Posts: 347
From: Orlando, FL, USA
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dirty HarryClick Here to Email Dirty HarrySend a Private Message to Dirty HarryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car. A couple of big ifs here. If the car drives well without any serious engine problem and if the interior is nice! Knowing what it takes to get the car where you have it, I'd value it at $10,000.00. However, you had to throw in the rebuilt title. That's a huge IF. A lot of people won't even buy the car with that problem. If you find somebody who loves the car and intends to keep it and drive it till it dies, that's no problem. I'd be concerned with how badly it was damaged, does it track down the road straight and how does it drive in the corners. That could greatly affect the value. Why not fix the vacuum problem to eliminate that question mark and be able to present it in good running shape?

------------------
87 GT Maroon 3800SC & White Formula

IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Grantman:

very nice looking car. are you getting out of the fiero game?



I don`t want to, I`m just tired of messing with this car.
I have built one before and then sold it.
IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Dirty Harry:

Beautiful car. A couple of big ifs here. If the car drives well without any serious engine problem and if the interior is nice! Knowing what it takes to get the car where you have it, I'd value it at $10,000.00. However, you had to throw in the rebuilt title. That's a huge IF. A lot of people won't even buy the car with that problem. If you find somebody who loves the car and intends to keep it and drive it till it dies, that's no problem. I'd be concerned with how badly it was damaged, does it track down the road straight and how does it drive in the corners. That could greatly affect the value. Why not fix the vacuum problem to eliminate that question mark and be able to present it in good running shape?



I did have the rear mounting bracket for the lower control arm modified and rewelded but I`m not sure it was caused by the accident.
What happened was that in 2000 it hit a parked car.
I suspect that since body panels were no longer available from GM the insurance company just totalled it.
It rides straight with no pulling.
I have replaced the LIM gasket and that doesn`t seem to be the problem.
I had it smoke tested and they saif that smoke was getting into the crankcase.
I suspect maybe it has a cracked head.
IP: Logged
Easy8
Member
Posts: 355
From: Jacksonville, Fl
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having purchased a chop top with an LT1 in it for 8,500 not to long ago I would not expect 10k for anything short of a show car. Yes my car needed work to make it a daily driver but it was nothing crazy. If this was a perfect runner with a clean title maybe 9k, high side 10. But with issues that are going to require tools and time probably closer to 6 or 7 if your lucky. There seem to be a few 3.8 cars moving around.


Edit due to more info.

Head crack is a big issue.. I for one would not even think of 6 k for that kind of work. If you want the cash out if it you are going to have to put the labor into it. I will stick to my numbers earlier if things are right. Bad motor, leaking transmission and title issues..... 4 to 5 in my book and that is really for all the body work.

[This message has been edited by Easy8 (edited 12-14-2016).]

IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Easy8:

Having purchased a chop top with an LT1 in it for 8,500 not to long ago I would not expect 10k for anything short of a show car. Yes my car needed work to make it a daily driver but it was nothing crazy. If this was a perfect runner with a clean title maybe 9k, high side 10. But with issues that are going to require tools and time probably closer to 6 or 7 if your lucky. There seem to be a few 3.8 cars moving around.


I know what you mean.
I know the market is a little better now but about three years ago I had a beautiful 88 GT with a perfect Beechwood interior and I couldn`t get 4K for it.
IP: Logged
Dirty Harry
Member
Posts: 347
From: Orlando, FL, USA
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dirty HarryClick Here to Email Dirty HarrySend a Private Message to Dirty HarryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't argue with you Easy8. As I said, some big if's. It all boils down to how badly he wants to sell and how much the buyer lusts for the car. My 3800 was one of the better Fast Fieros jobs with a new engine. Rather than face how much I'd lose to sell it, I'll probably just keep it forever.

------------------
87 GT Maroon 3800SC & White Formula

IP: Logged
Easy8
Member
Posts: 355
From: Jacksonville, Fl
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Dirty Harry:
. Rather than face how much I'd lose to sell it, I'll probably just keep it forever.




I agree 100%, I plan on keeping mine for many years past when I can get in or out of it. These cars are a labor of love more than anything else. It is fun to have a twenty ish year old person look at the car and ask what it is.

IP: Logged
nosrac
Member
Posts: 3505
From: Euless, TX, US
Registered: Jan 2005


Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by TXGOOD:

The bad:
Engine has internal vacuum leak (High STFT at idle plus rough idle)
Trarnsmission has slight leak (Not sure where from)

Edit: I forgot to mention, it does have a rebuilt title.


Measure LTFT not STFT. The rough Idle can be tuned but the vac leak should be found. How do you know its a vac leak if you can't find it..lol?
Do you run a VC breather? Check ALL trans lines connections, and make sure pan is torqued properly. I had all 3 points that leaked.
IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by nosrac:

Measure LTFT not STFT. The rough Idle can be tuned but the vac leak should be found. How do you know its a vac leak if you can't find it..lol?
Do you run a VC breather? Check ALL trans lines connections, and make sure pan is torqued properly. I had all 3 points that leaked.


Well from what I have read if the STFT is high at idle and goes to normal upon acceleration it`s a good indication of a vacuum leak.
I had the engine smoke tested and they said it was getting smoke in the crankcase.
They suggested the LIM gasket was leaking but I told them that it had been replaced.
It doesn`t have a VC breather and when you have it running and hold your hand over the VC filler you can feel a vacuum.
About the tranny leak, I have just been lazy and not lifted it yet to see where the leak is.
It`s possibly one of the lines.
I was going to flare the lines running from the front and use braided stainless to plumb them but I never got around to it.
I hate the rubber transmission lines.
And I did use transmission lines as opposed to fuel lines which will get soft in tranny fluid.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 12-14-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nosrac
Member
Posts: 3505
From: Euless, TX, US
Registered: Jan 2005


Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by TXGOOD:


Well from what I have read if the STFT is high at idle and goes to normal upon acceleration it`s a good indication of a vacuum leak.
I had the engine smoke tested and they said it was getting smoke in the crankcase.
They suggested the LIM gasket was leaking but I told them that it had been replaced.
It doesn`t have a VC breather and when you have it running and hold your hand over the VC filler you can feel a vacuum.
About the tranny leak, I have just been lazy and not lifted it yet to see where the leak is.
It`s possibly one of the lines.
I was going to flare the lines running from the front and use braided stainless to plumb them but I never got around to it.
I hate the rubber transmission lines.
And I did use transmission lines as opposed to fuel lines which will get soft in tranny fluid.


STFT constantly change especially when you drive so they are not a good indicator for rich or lean. What is LTFT, RPM, MAF reading at idle? 97-98 or 99+ MAF?
I'm not 100% convinced those aftermarket Aluminum VC seal well. Also, if you have a ZZP VC gasket they have sealing issues too.
If you get around to it put some stock VC on and see if that cures anything. Should you have vacuum on the VC filler when running?
I'm sure the tranny leak is an easy fix but you have to stop being lazy and GIT ER DONE...LOL .

BTW, Post up some pics of the Vertical doors. I want some real bad.

Oh, I'd guess the car is at minimum $8500 but I'd think $10000 is a fair price for it. I seen lesser Fiero's go for more. Put it on ebay with a $11,000 reserve, that will tell you exactly what is what.
IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by nosrac:

STFT constantly change especially when you drive so they are not a good indicator for rich or lean. What is LTFT, RPM, MAF reading at idle? 97-98 or 99+ MAF?
I'm not 100% convinced those aftermarket Aluminum VC seal well. Also, if you have a ZZP VC gasket they have sealing issues too.
If you get around to it put some stock VC on and see if that cures anything. Should you have vacuum on the VC filler when running?
I'm sure the tranny leak is an easy fix but you have to stop being lazy and GIT ER DONE...LOL .

BTW, Post up some pics of the Vertical doors. I want some real bad.

Oh, I'd guess the car is at minimum $8500 but I'd think $10000 is a fair price for it. I seen lesser Fiero's go for more. Put it on ebay with a $11,000 reserve, that will tell you exactly what is what.


These things are really easy to install.
You have to cut the inside of the fender so the hinge will clear and you have to angle cut the belt moulding the other way to clear.
But, basically they are a true bolt-on.

IP: Logged
nosrac
Member
Posts: 3505
From: Euless, TX, US
Registered: Jan 2005


Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by TXGOOD:


These things are really easy to install.
You have to cut the inside of the fender so the hinge will clear and you have to angle cut the belt moulding the other way to clear.
But, basically they are a true bolt-on.


Please PM or post up the info on where to buy?
IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2016 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://verticaldoors.com/i...ake=486&models=Fiero

Terrance, I bought them at CarId, they are cheaper.
It`s the same company though.

https://www.carid.com/1988-...c-fiero-lambo-doors/

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 12-14-2016).]

IP: Logged
TXGOOD
Member
Posts: 5371
From: Austin, Texas
Registered: Feb 2006


Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m putting my car on Ebay in a couple of days if anyone wants to make me an offer.
Thanks
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock