Started on: 12-11-2016 06:30 AM
Replies: 10 (338 views)
Last post by: tshark on 12-11-2016 10:35 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tire issue is not normal on 88's and the choice of axles would have no bearing on the issue.
It could be improperly adjusted camber, different wheel offset side to side, or space frame damage.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the rear end is shifting around, something is broken, installed incorrectly, or loose.
There is nothing on an 88 (especially) that should allow that. There are not even any bushings in the cradle. It's solidly mounted to the space frame.
It's possible that the strut bolts are loose, and allowing the knuckles to shift around. That would be a "best case" scenario. Anything else will be a bunch more trouble. (I'm thinking bushings or structural stuff.)

When he mentioned "tire kickers", you should have countered with "scam artists".
Or not.

To directly answer your question...
Before I figured out what was going on with the rear end, I wouldn't buy that car at any price.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-11-2016).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
The car actually looks like is has a personality disorder. There's the nice engine bay, the nice carpeted front compartment, and some things like A-arms that look orginal, but very nice. Then there are the destroyed interior and exterior. Some of the car looks well-maintained, some low mileage, and some from a junkyard.

That sounds a lot like my LS4/F40 Fiero!

It also sounds like the car might have some loose bolts or more significant issues in the rear suspension, but it also sounds like it might have some potential for the right person.

You should have taken a few pics of the engine so we would know exactly what it was. Again it could be like my LS4 car with a $8000 engine/transmission swap into a $500 chassis. If you can buy the car for less than the swap would cost and transfer it to a much better chassis you could be money ahead.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having swapped in an 88 rear subframe/suspension into my 85, I am very well acquainted with that suspension....The only thing that would have the tires offset- and then shifting back- is that the Strut-to-upright bolts are loose...They should be tightened to 140 lb/ft......But you have to get the uprights aligned properly....(With mine, I generally push them as far in as possible(Top of tire in)....But there are variables in the manufacturing process, so this one may be different....Still, as a safety measure; Remove the wheels, loosen the bolts, and then have someone push in on the strut, then, while they hold it, tighten the nuts to 140 lb/ft.....This will make the car drivable without any weird squiggling around.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Radar, are you giving someone a--what was it called--bug eye? LOL.

I suppose it DID read that way.
The "all 88s are like that", followed by the "tire kicker" comment, would have put me off. And they did, within the context of
this conversation.
Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, just be careful. It might be worthwhile. Or it might become a bunch of work.

BTW... The only V8 swap I've ever seen that retained the stock filter canister was a 4.9.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My taughts regarding the rear shifting around is it could be the long bolt holes in the rear uprights are worn out, causing the rear to shift back and forth. Rodney sales a 1988 Rear Knuckle Girdle Kit for about $60 that possibly could fix the issue depending on how bad they are worn. The other taught is maybe the cradle bolts are loose.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vampire (edited 12-11-2016).]

luvfierosforever

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The back end on my 88 was sloppy. Kept telling my husband something really doesn't feel right. Of course, I don't know anything and my car is always at the bottom of the to do list. One day taking a left turn out on to the main road, I lost complete control of my car. Fortunately , no traffic was coming and I limped to the shoulder. Got out and took a walk back to where it happened and found a cradle bolt on the ground! Seriously took all of my willpower not to say I told you so.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock