Product Review - Updated Fiero Store Deck Lid Switch by Chris_narf
Started on: 12-10-2016 10:12 PM
Replies: 9 (419 views)
Last post by: rbell2915 on 12-12-2016 12:07 AM
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While ordering the new windshield trim from The Fiero Store, I got to talking to the guy on the phone and he said that they had a new and improved version of the deck lid switch. For those that don't know, they are the ONLY place you can order a new switch from. Unfortunately, the deck lid switch that they've been selling for many years looked decent during the day, but horrible at night. There was a TON of light bleed through.

Old Fiero Store deck lid switch:

Old Fiero Store Switch vs. New Fiero Store Switch:

The color of grey appears to be slightly different, with the new switch being slightly lighter. It's really hard to capture the "true" color difference. The biggest difference I saw was that the background for the icon on the switch is now much darker. This should give better contrast and looks better than the old one (IMHO).

Now for the bigger test, and what everyone wants to know, "How does it look at night???"

New Fiero Store deck lid switchf:

This has VASTLY improved. There is ZERO detectable bleed through.

Did they "correct" the toggle function of the switch?
If my memory is correct, with the factory switch, you would press on the picture on the button (bottom) and it would pop the deck lid. With the new 2.0 version, you still have to press on the top portion of the switch above the picture. For my usability, this isn't a big deal, but it seems like anytime I take my car into a place that isn't familiar with the car, they press on the bottom side of the switch and end up breaking it. Very very annoying. For those on the forum that have low mileage cars with the factory switch, please chime in on which portion of the switch actually pops the deck lid. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but it's been years since I've had a factory switch.

UPDATE: 12/11/2016 - The consensus is that the "correct" spot to push on the switch is the "upper" portion. Based on this, the one sold by the Fiero Store is functioning as the original and as designed. W00t!

Closing thoughts:
Even though the switch isn't a complete 100% match to factory (assuming my memory is correct on the chunk you press to pop the lid), this is a major improvement.

With parts getting harder to find as our cars continue to age, I'm glad to see that folks are still interested in making improvements. Hopefully this helps review helps others if they need to a replacement.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

[This message has been edited by Chris_narf (edited 12-11-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pcwentworth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea how long they have been selling 2.0? I purchased mine about a year ago
alcazar88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct, the factory switches pop by pushing on the bottom. At least for 88s.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what the heck you guys are talking about in regards to where you press the switch......it has always been the top (push up) to pop the decklid.
alcazar88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, you made me go outside and check....and I stand corrected, mine do push on top to pop! After 29 years I should know that!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup. Mine push at the top, too.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The color looks fine here, but the one on their web site looks terribly faded--just like mine looked. I painted mine to make it match the other grey.

Which color grey is the switch TFS has?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

If my memory is correct, with the factory switch, you would press on the picture on the button (bottom) and it would pop the deck lid. With the new 2.0 version, you still have to press on the top portion of the switch above the picture.

I found this wording confusing.

Yes, mine presses on top, which I have to remember every time I test the switch. I've never used it to actually get into the trunk.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2016 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

The color looks fine here, but the one on their web site looks terribly faded--just like mine looked. I painted mine to make it match the other grey.

Which color grey is the switch TFS has?

That's a really tough question to answer. The Deck Lid 2.0 switch doesn't appear to be faded to me, but without having a factory original to compare to, it is hard to say. Even the color of grey that the 1.0 switch was looked fine to me. There's not a lot of places this color of plastic is used in the car.
1 - Deck lid switch
2 - Defrost switch (for those that have it)
3 - Power window switches
4 - Power mirror switch
5 - Part of the headlight switch

I think it looks fine, but I'd love to hear from others who purchase it in the future.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2016 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice. I painted the inside of the 1.0 switch black to eliminate the bleed through, but the logo still looks funny. I'll have to purchase this eventually.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock