Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  BEWARE: KENNETH HINES TOOK MONEY, NEVER SENT GT SAILS (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
BEWARE: KENNETH HINES TOOK MONEY, NEVER SENT GT SAILS by busa_powered
Started on: 12-07-2016 09:26 PM
Replies: 53 (2577 views)
Last post by: busa_powered on 02-20-2017 09:47 PM
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So as the title says I got stiffed by Kenneth Hines.

I found him on a thread as person that makes the sail panels for GT's.

I ordered and paid for them on October 16, 2016

Since then I have only received one email from him stating a "medical emergency" on November 11, 2016.

I have been emailing him daily since then to do the right thing and refund my money, to which he has never responded.

By me posting this, I am hoping no one else falls for this scammer.

I will bump this once a week or so, so that newcomers will be aware.

Thank You
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2016 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, "medical emergency" with no response after can mean a lot of things. He was never great at responding to e-mails, but if that medical emergency end up with him a coma or worse, expecting communication you won't get, isn't going to get your money back either.

How did you pay? Why are you not going via your payment method to dispute the payment? That's what you should be doing.

I ordered a set of sail panels from him on eBay a couple years ago. They arrived in a couple days. Granted, he didn't have to make new ones from scratch then. I've seen a couple threads where his reliability has been a bit spotty in more recent times though.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sent it via paypal as a gift, there is no recourse for it.

I just want others not to fall for the scam, from what I have read I am not the first.

He was good at responding to emails when I was inquiring about them, after payment, they ceased

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-07-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

I sent it via paypal as a gift, there is no recourse for it.

I just want others not to fall for the scam, from what I have read I am not the first.

He was good at responding to emails when I was inquiring about them, after payment, they ceased

Ken has been around a long time. I would try calling him to see what's up. AFAIK, he was regularly pretty slow with delivery but not as slow as you claim. Maybe a member who knows Ken can help.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This throws up a huge red flag for me as well as having you send money as a gift on Paypal. Ken NEVER responded to emails. That was the number one complaint on here. From my personal experience as well as others, you ordered, waited, and your part showed up with absolutely no communication. If you tried to email him, you wouldn't get a response.

What email did you send the money to on Paypal?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-07-2016).]

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kahines1965@gmail.com

11/12/16

I have a medical emergency with my wife and just returned home yesterday. I will get them shipped out to you Monday.

Haven't heard a peep from him since despite my daily emails

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-07-2016).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

By me posting this, I am hoping no one else falls for this scammer.

I understand you're upset at the long delay... but Ken is no scammer.

I bought GT sail panels from him eight years ago. Even back then there was talk of Ken being "slow" with his email responses. However, I don't recall seeing any references in this forum over the years to anyone ever being shafted by him.

Here's the email address I used, but keep in mind this was from years ago... kenneth@kahines.com

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-08-2016).]

JohnSmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnSmithSend a Private Message to JohnSmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
This throws up a huge red flag for me as well as having you send money as a gift on Paypal.

Sending the money as a gift isn't a huge red flag at all, most sellers now request that (Or request you pay for the fees) as Paypal's fees have gotten so high. Whenever I buy something, I evaluate the item and seller and determine if it is worth it to tack on the additional funds or not. This is extremely common, and in no way a sign of anything other than people wanting to save money (Can't blame them for that).

Originally posted by Patrick:

I bought GT sail panels from him eight years ago. Even back then there was talk of Ken being "slow" with his email responses. However, I don't recall seeing any references in this forum over the years to anyone ever being shafted by him.

Here's the email address I used, but keep in mind this was from years ago... kenneth@kahines.com

This reminds me of the MacGregor bridge builder joke. It only takes once.

[This message has been edited by JohnSmith (edited 12-08-2016).]

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are Kens sail panels the same as the ones sold on Ebay? same guy?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also do not think this was intentional. He has been around a long time.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been nearly a month since his last communication to me.

When I was inquiring about them and had questions he would respond the same day.

After payment, it stopped

What am I suppose to think?

I don't know his username, can anyone tell when his last login on here was?

I don't mean to offend anyone that knows the guy, it just seems speculative to me

Thanks
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

He was selling them on eBay before, but I think Chris Cook also sells panels on eBay now too.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I don't know his username, can anyone tell when his last login on here was?

He's not really active on the forum: //www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...bio&UserName=kahines

Can't see "last login" but 28 posts in almost 15 years should say how little he posts here.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It now looks like Mr Hines is getting into the clothing business with the slogan "easy to buy, quick to ship"
http://www.kahines.com/

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-08-2016).]

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

how much more time should I let past by before I can call it like I see it?

Just curious
Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get gifted money back. Just call Paypal and tell them what happened, and call your card company.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

You can get gifted money back. Just call Paypal and tell them what happened, and call your card company.

Already tried:

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance. On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is no Buyer or Seller Protection Policy, as no goods or services have been exchanged.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

If you see the ebay name gtfiero, then they are by Chris Cook. Next best to Kahines. I've used 2 sets. They've both performed flawlessly for at least 6 years. Complex curvature isn't exact, but the dot matrix and printing were flawless and the printing hasn't delaminated.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

how much more time should I let past by before I can call it like I see it?

Just curious

You can "call it" like you "see it" anytime you want... but doing so may or may not help in this situation.

I'm just letting you know that Ken Hines has been around for a long time. He has hundreds, perhaps thousands of satisfied customers. He's not some "scammer" who has popped up out of nowhere, fraudulently taken peoples money, and then disappeared forever.

I suspect something has happened to him, or perhaps his wife's health has continued to decline. I hope you see either your panels shipped or your money refunded, but calling Ken a "scammer" is rather unfair... and ultimately won't help resolve anything.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you track Ken down, anyway? The only instance I see being a real threat of a scam is if someone else is posing as him with a nifty Gmail address. This is why I like eBay, it helps sort out some vendors and feedback is reassuring. I hadn't known Ken was even making these anymore, just find the Chris Cook ones when searching.
Ken Hines' website looks almost generic, no pictures or anything.
It's easy enough to scam someone with a falsified name/email.
On the other hand, the real guy does seem to hold a good reputation, if this forum is any indication. Either you sent money to a scammer who isn't really Ken, or Ken is going through a true emergency, for which we'll keep him in our prayers.
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No matter how long the guy has been here or not, there really is no reason for this. He replied to the OP with the "Medical Emergency" message, so I think we can safely assume that it was not Mr Hines that had the emergency. If it was his wife, my sympathies, but life goes on and you can't just take other peoples money no matter how much you may need it. And BTW, I have seen many a reputable vendor (not just Fiero stuff) call it a day and leave people hanging. And guess what, the excuse is always a medical emergency.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

The only instance I see being a real threat of a scam is if someone else is posing as him with a nifty Gmail address. It's easy enough to scam someone with a falsified name/email.

Good point. The email address I used for Ken years ago that I posted in my first post here is different than the one that the OP reported using. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I suppose it does open up the possibility that someone else is posing as Ken.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good point. The email address I used for Ken years ago that I posted in my first post here is different than the one that the OP reported using. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I suppose it does open up the possibility that someone else is posing as Ken.

I guess they would have to hack his account here as well.

Seems odd to hack someone who is rarely on here......

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-08-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess they would have to hack his account here as well.

Seems odd to hack someone who is rarely on here......

Well come on, guy... we have no idea how you found and contacted him.

How did you track Ken down, anyway?

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well come on, guy... we have no idea how you found and contacted him.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by viperine:

How did you track Ken down, anyway?

[/QUOTE]

Saw a posting on here

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Saw a posting on here

This one, by any chance?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whenever a seller receives payment for product, he/she is obligated to ship within four weeks. That is US postal law. Mr Hines may have shipped 100's or orders in the past but this does not alter his obligation to ship to the man who sent money for product in Oct.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Mr Hines may have shipped 100's or orders in the past but this does not alter his obligation to ship to the man who sent money for product in Oct.

Dennis, no one's arguing to the contrary. Let's just see if we can first determine that if was actually Ken Hines who received the payment.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis, no one's arguing to the contrary. Let's just see if we can first determine that if was actually Ken Hines who received the payment.

Like I said, some hacker decided to come on here, hack a Pff username that rarely posts here, then hacks a gmail account, to one that rarely posts here, then creates a PayPal account to someone who rarely posts on here..... uhhhhh ok and Hillary still might win the election 🙄🙄🙄
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like I said, some hacker decided to come on here, hack a Pff username that rarely posts here, then hacks a gmail account, to one that rarely posts here, then creates a PayPal account to someone who rarely posts on here...

Why are you refusing to answer questions?

This one, by any chance?

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why are you refusing to answer questions?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

This one, by any chance?

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say, i looked at quite a few
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hard to say, i looked at quite a few

Where'd you get the following email address from?

kahines1965@gmail.com

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where'd you get the following email address from?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by busa_powered:

kahines1965@gmail.com

[/QUOTE]

It was in his ad, and I contacted him
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was in his ad, and I contacted him

Got a link to his ad? Because when I do a google search on that email address, the only place on the entire internet where it shows up is in the post here at PFF that I linked to earlier.

This one, by any chance?

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got a link to his ad? Because when I do a google search on that email address, the only place on the entire internet where it shows up is in the post here at PFF that I linked to earlier.

This one, by any
Nope, I never said the email was in a thread, I said I looked at a bunch of ads and postings, not just on here.

You've already showed your cards and I know where you are going with this.

It's a nice read but it's all speculation and koolaid

From what I read this is how the guy operates, slow and little to no communication.

I have the right guy.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You lose a little right to blast the seller if you already knew he was slow to ship and lax to communicate... it's certainly unfair to have money held this long without receipt of product, too.
Patrick and I seem more interested in helping here, but I feel doubts over the e-mail address and where it came from. I have personally been scammed exactly this way many years ago. I chose a reputable name, but I wound up being in touch with a copycat. Either way, I hope this gets resolved in both yours and Ken Hines' favor.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You lose a little right to blast the seller if you already knew he was slow to ship and lax to communicate... it's certainly unfair to have money held this long without receipt of product, too.
Patrick and I seem more interested in helping here, but I feel doubts over the e-mail address and where it came from. I have personally been scammed exactly this way many years ago. I chose a reputable name, but I wound up being in touch with a copycat. Either way, I hope this gets resolved in both yours and Ken Hines' favor.

No I read that about the seller from the responses to this posting. Had I known this before I would not have ordered
From him.

I know I was scammed and am not getting the product or a refund, 'my fault for not doing more homework.

The purpose of this thread is to warn others

No offense to him but Patrick is speculating, he is not helping, which I don't expect him to

Thank you

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 12-08-2016).]

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much did you pay him. There are laws that are applicable. And we can go from there.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you can't provide a link to where you got Ken Hines contact info from?

And you don't find it strange that the email address you used for Ken Hines only shows up once on the entire internet... here at PFF, in one post?

You've already showed your cards and I know where you are going with this.

It's a nice read but it's all speculation and koolaid

What the **** man, I was just trying to help sort things out. Good luck.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Granted that is a possibility in today's world of hackers and scammers, but if that be the case, then its up to the real Mr Hines to step forward ,set the story straight, and clear his name. That website that I found may also be a fake as it shows clothing and other products in some foreign language. Thinking about this story you are probably on the money.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock