Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I want to learn how to overhaul the V6 engine.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I want to learn how to overhaul the V6 engine. by robert1234
Started on: 11-29-2016 05:23 PM
Replies: 16 (426 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 12-05-2016 10:02 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the best way to do it?

1) Buy an old V6 engine from a GT or Formula and take it apart ? I see them all the time for cheap that has problems.
2) Is there a cheat sheet on what to replace to rebuild one ?

I've never done a rebuild, but mostly done everything else. I need all the information I can get.

I just want to be able to pull my engine one day when it needs it. I like to be prepared.

Ideas welcome....

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hands-on experience is great.

But it is better to have a good resource as a guide to help you with any aspects of rebuilding one of these engines. An excellent resource that you should seriously get is this book: https://www.amazon.com/Rebu...&keywords=Tom+Currao
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

An excellent resource that you should seriously get is this book...

For sure. Just think of all the forum posts there'd need to be to cover ALL that material.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

For sure. Just think of all the forum posts there'd need to be to cover ALL that material.

Not to mention all those who would chime in saying the materials instructions are wrong and must have been written by idiots
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Not to mention all those who would chime in saying the materials instructions are wrong and must have been written by idiots

Over the years, we have found errors in ALL the printed material commonly used, even the factory service manuals. The engine rebuild manuals would be no different, but it's the best place to start.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My build thread has all the info and pics for rebuilding the 60 deg V6.
Link in sig

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada
Now on my 11th Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Service manual is best place to start.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-30-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Gall757:

Over the years, we have found errors in ALL the printed material commonly used, even the factory service manuals. The engine rebuild manuals would be no different, but it's the best place to start.

Is there a collection of corrections to the errors? One would think there could be.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use to rebuild but considering the parts, labor and machine shop costs, it came out far less expensive to do engine swaps. The last rebuild that I did 15 years ago cost almost $2000.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, the cost is about $2000.

I'm not going to do it then. Not worth that.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

Depends on what's worn. A set of rings and gaskets (if that's all that's required) would be a lot less than two grand.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after many hours of research and a collection of great videos, I'm sure I can do it now.
So, when the time comes I'll be ready.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not going to do it then. Not worth that.

If you were to do this rebuild for less it would have to assume:
the cylinders are not worn to the point of where they would need to be re-bored. Add machine shop costs and a new set of pistons
that the crankshaft is not scored or grooved as that would require regrinding. If its too worn it will need replacement
. that the valve seats are still in good shape.
In all cases a new timing chain, rings, gaskets, bearings
then what about the fuel injectors. Professionally cleaning can cost $100.
Then do you have the tools required like a ring compressor, cylinder hone, micrometers etc. If you want you can buy ours at half price and we even have some new unused stuff in the shop.
If you luck out in the best case, you will need, rings, bearings (don't forget the cam), new lifters, and gaskets but in all the rebuilds that we have done that wasn't the case. Machine shop work and rebuild parts costs added up too quickly to be practical. Those engines were money pitsThat is why few rebuild engines these days..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,
You got PM
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious, how many miles are on the engine, why does it need to be rebuilt? Simply rebuilding the heads on my 2.8 was a major improvement at 145K. The bottom end was still pretty tight, oil pressure good and once I had the heads off, there wasn't much of a ridge in the cylinders. While I was there, I replaced my water pump. If I were to do again, I would also do the timing chain and front cover seal.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto
65 Tempest 400 CID
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like it has 148K on the engine.
If I pull it I'm doing what I can to it while its out.
It has an exhaust leak and a bolt broken off on the manifold from the previous owner. Yep the hard one to get to.
Its very drive-able but lacks power....expected
I have another manifold already.

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 12-05-2016).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seems like it has 148K on the engine.
If I pull it I'm doing what I can to it while its out.
It has an exhaust leak and a bolt broken off on the manifold from the previous owner. Yep the hard one to get to.
Its very drive-able but lacks power....expected
I have another manifold already.

Going forward, depends on your goals and budget. I can tell you if the bottom end of your engine is tight, pulling the heads for a rebuild can be done with the engine in the car and will allow you to fix the manifold bolt addressing the exhaust leak. At the same time you can port the exhaust manifolds for a few extra ponies. Cost is in the hundreds of dollars. But no step wise increase in power.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock