Posting in the Construction Zone by wftb
Started on: 11-28-2016 11:52 PM
Replies: 11 (472 views)
Last post by: Danyel on 11-30-2016 09:09 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been reading the odd post here and there that gives me the impression that people think they cant post on threads in the Construction Zone . The only difference between CZ and any other part of Pennocks is that your thread gets moved there by Clif , you can't start it there .Comments and replies are welcome and needed to liven things up . Thanks .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DotTC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I reply as often as I can, or is needed.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there should be a sub forum for project threads.. but that is tis my opinion.. YMMV

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 11-29-2016).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I think there should be a sub forum for project threads.. but that is tis my opinion.. YMMV

That is what the construction zone is.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there should be some type of subcategory for guys to post their projects on too.
I have 4 cars going at the same time right now and even though each car is receiving a huge amount of work,none of them will get the extreme mods and such as the projects in the Construction Zone.
Not everyone has the time or the funds to go EXTREME with their builds but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be recognized for their efforts.
Just my opinion....
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My build thread was moved to the construction a few months ago. Since that point, the replies and views have become pretty much non-existent. It was fairly active when it was in General Chat.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will admit that I very rarely ever look in the Construction Zone.
I will give those guys every cudos they deserve for going as extreme with their projects as they do...but the typical forum member isn't going to push their build to those limits,it's just not financially feasible for most members.
Instead,I wish there was a category on the forum that would bring more practical issues into view for the group....different seats that will fit,newer dashes that can be adapted,wheels and tires that will work,then there's the headlight issue...etc.
Things that the average member can afford and install themselves to keep our dated vehicles up to newer standards ..etc.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first started here , there was no Construction Zone .We all started our build threads in the tech area or in General Chat and carried on .Then CZ came along and I thought it was a good thing , put the long running and significant(for whatever reason) threads in there and make them easy to find . But there seems to be a backlash going on here , it seems to me people are not even starting build threads anymore .What makes this forum interesting is seeing what people are doing to make their cars their own , wether extreme or just making them like new again .I see a lot of people asking questions , that is what forums are for , but I don't see a lot of build threads starting anymore . I am always willing to answer any tech question within my area of expertise and I never say "search button is your friend" (even if it might be) , but hey , we want to see your cars .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 11-29-2016).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, I rarely go to the construction zone. Since you posted this thread, I went, and found a number of threads I'd been following. So that's what happened to those threads. They seemed to have died off, anyway. Some, I'd lost interest in, for one reason or another.

Having all the different areas was probably great in PFF's heyday, but sometimes weeks go by, and threads are still on the first page. I've all but given up on most of the areas. I use google to look up what I want. As you can see, there isn't much posting, even in General.

IMO, new construction threads mostly have all the attraction of watching someone reinvent the wheel. Sure, the builds that drag on over years and have months of crickets lose my interest, but the posts seem to suggest that new build threads of common swaps draw more derision than interest.

Speaking for myself, what I do with my Fiero is for my enjoyment. Whether restoring a V6 or making small changes, it's my choice. Some threads are rather disheartening in that a given Fiero owner who doesn't choose to install modern horsepower is really put down. Sometimes, if the swap or whatever has been done before and wasn't awesome, the attitude seems to be that such a Fiero owner is either stupid or ignorant. I have probably read 50 or so threads on the 60 degree V6 engine. Mostly on PFF. The predominance of what I took as negative comments since 2005, in particular was notable.

Between the difficulty of posting pictures, the negative responses, and the fact that there is little apparent interest in threads about engine work that isn't pristine or has already been done, why bother? It's bad enough getting negative Fiero comments from the average person, but when you proudly post your efforts on a Fiero forum...I'd say read the threads I've been reading, and I think you'll see why the volume of construction threads has decreased. Some of those threads have links basically not answering the OP's question, but pointing the OP to a build thread that the OP has already read, but that didn't answer the OP's question. You get the feeling that at least that person didn't even read the post.

I understand that many of the members on PFF have been there and done that, but newer members will quickly lose their enthusiasm, leave here, and be done with it, if this attitude persists.

Suppose there were 10 2.8 build threads, two v8s, and a 3500. Which would get the most interest, all else being equal? Suppose someone put a new Camaro engine into a Fiero? For the 2.8, you see the same pictures, the same work, etc. 10 threads of basically the same info. Combining them does not help. What I did read is that there doesn't seem to be much agreement on cams and rockers, or on reliability, stock horsepower, bore, stroke, or restrictions. If you read 10 existing 2.8 threads, you'll be confused by results that are more widely scattered than the coordinates on 10 consumer GPSs.

Kuddos to the people sharing their builds, but it's hard to use the threads as more than entertainment--particularly when arguments ensue. I often read the threads more for the entertainment the arguments provide than for the swap itself. Since the swap threads rarely had a conclusion, who knows if it was ever running, anyway? The ”facts” are more incongrous and contradictory than helpful. Many of the threads had people posting as if they knew what they were talking about, then as the thread unfolded, page after page, I discovered that much of the info was incorrect, because of a confusion between the PR, the TDI, the SOHC, and the DOHC. The person who eventually prevailed in one thread was often proven wrong in another thread.

I've certainly posted my share of mistakes, and some people seem to be mostly accurate--when they post. Sometimes, other people post to give an OP some reply, and with the intent of being helpful. I realize that there are very knowledgeable people on this forum; however, if someone posts that they are rebuilding their 2.8, and just want some info, and rather than answer this question, the replies are that this is a terrible idea, other less knowledgeable people will try to be helpful.

Then there's threads like mattwa's. The never ending swap that...never ended. I read all the way through to the lack of a conclusion. I finally contacted him to get the ending.

Hmmm. Probably a never-ending post.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the things I like about Pennocks is there are very few categories to choose from .There are really only 4 that I bother with , and maybe a total of 8 ? .Makes it easy to navigate , compared to a lot of the blogs where 20 or more sections is the norm . I argee with most of what Tshark said , maybe the problem is we have said the same thing over and over again .
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it isn't over and over to the person proudly posting their swap.

I stick mostly in Gereral, because the Fiero is more about people, for me. There is lots of good news: someone got a Fiero, someone moved, someone found a unique/forgotten Fiero, etc.
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personnally this forum gave me alot of information on how to's and tricks to's but must agree with Tshark alot of redundant info ... to each his own I guess. My answer to "would you like your thread in CZ" I would probably say No Thank you. The reason why is simple that zone seems to be the Never Ending Story... I am sure one day my thread will end up in the Archives and thats fine with me .... Just as the Black Widow lived and the Black Widow died.... long live the Black Widow.... till another one comes along ....

regards to all

Danyel

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock