'88 GT exhaust question? by railshot
Started on: 11-27-2016 07:39 PM
Replies: 43 (1072 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 12-05-2016 10:25 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking for a replacement exhaust for my GT, and it seems the only place that has anything is The Fiero Store.
I would gladly order from them, but every time I look they are out, and have no real solid idea as to when it would be available again.

'88 has some minor differences from all the earlier models, so this makes it even more of a challenge to find.

I do not "need" a new exhaust, but want one.
Mine is nearing 200k, and I just want everything as perfect as I can get mine, and after looking at it today, I want a new one.

So, the question is, any place else sell a '88 factory style exhaust.... I want everything from the manifolds to the tips.

Love the factory sound, so I am keeping it 100% factory.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

'88 has some minor differences from all the earlier models, so this makes it even more of a challenge to find.

So, the question is, any place else sell a '88 factory style exhaust.... I want everything from the manifolds to the tips.

If you're replacing "everything", you could probably use the earlier system... but get some more feedback on that.
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If you're replacing "everything", you could probably use the earlier system... but get some more feedback on that.

I think it might be a cradle mount issue using the original springs.. 88's cradle is different than the rest

Edit to say that I just checked the Fierostore and they only show one (stock) model, catalytic/back with tips or without.. So now I'm not sure?

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-27-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so far guys.

I have a copy of the 84 to 88 Fiero Parts and Illustrations CD, and it lists very specific parts for the 88 vs earlier years.
This thing has proved invaluable to me and if you don't have it, download it!

Example is the muffler.... for an '87 it is part number 10087393 and for an '88 it is 10089650.
Each component for an '88 exhaust is different than any other year, and it follows suit on every other component for the exhaust with the exception of the crossover, tips, hangers and springs.
It also shows 3 different cats for the V6.
One for '85 and '86, one for '87, and another for an '88.

If anyone knows for sure that an '87 exhaust will work, without a lot of modifications, and I cannot find anything '88 specific, I guess I will have to go that route.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the greatest difference between the systems is how far the '88 Y-pipe extends down compared to the earlier years. So the Y-pipe and the pipe it connects to (before the cat) are definitely quite different and therefore can't be interchanged, but if you're changing "everything"... might not be any real issues. See what a few others might have to say.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-27-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe the greatest difference between the systems is how far the '88 Y-pipe extends down compared to the earlier years. So the Y-pipe and the pipe it connects to (before the cat) are definitely quite different and therefore can't be interchanged, but if you're changing "everything"... might not be any real issues. See what a few others might have to say.

Thanks Patrick,
I will keep this up near the top for a while just so everyone can see it and respond.
I am sure someone with an '88 has had to redo their exhaust at some point in time recently, so really would like to hear from anyone before I order up everything...... when it is available.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pipe between cat and muffler is slightly different as well.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have swapped an 85-87 2.8 into an 88 Fiero using the 85-87 exhaust a couple of times. The main issue is the 88 engine mount pad is much larger than the 84-87 one and it is moved forward about 1". This puts the exhaust pipe very close to the starter pad and I normally persuade it to move a little to the DS and forward to help with the clearance.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero exhaust is stainless.... fyi.

88s are slightly different (cat back)... you may have clearance issues mounting an pre-88 exhaust. I tried mounting an 88 on an 87 and it was difficult to get it in place without hitting the frame.

winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased one last year on ebay from summit racing. orded it about 5:00 pm Monday,recieved it at my door the very next day at 11:00 am. took it to a local shop and had it put on. very happy with it.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Summit doesn't list the exhaust system any more. It was there as recently as a month or so ago. The only complete exhaust systems I've found were made by Walker. You may try contacting them direct.
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years ago, Tim Perrigo had a bunch of Fiero exhaust systems built by Borla. (They were $500-600 each) I bought two, one for my 87 GT and one for my 88 GT. I had Twin Lakes auto install them. I believe that Tim sent in an exhaust from an 87, and that design did not quite fit the 88 GT. Twin Lakes had to modify the bends slightly for them to fit.

A few years layer Twin lakes ordered several Borla exhausts from Borla. They had a minimum number for the build. I know that they sold out quite quickly.

Today Borla doesn't offer them, but if you wanted a run, they would, and the build would be in the neighborhood of $50K truly unaffordable for an independent shop to afford.

I have had the Borla systems on both my Fieros for 15 years with no issues. They are stainless steel with a million mile warranty.

Tim is around, but into real estate sales and Twin Lakes shut down several years back.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And this is why I love this forum so much!
Thanks everyone sincerely.

I have just emailed Walker to see what they come back with, but looking at everything that has been posted, it looks like I could use an '87 exhaust with some slight modifications to it.

I will probably take it in to a local guy here that does nothing but custom exhaust and get his feelings on salvaging the original stainless exhaust first.

Side note: Anybody else notice when looking at pictures of unmolested '88 GT tail pipes, the drivers side tip is always a little lower than the passenger side.
Mine is, and I thought it was just out of adjustment, but as I have been searching, I see it a lot like that......
eh, I am picky about having a symmetrical exhaust, but that looks like that is the way they put it together... must have had a shorter person working on that side. LOL

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have just emailed Walker to see what they come back with, but looking at everything that has been posted, it looks like I could use an '87 exhaust with some slight modifications to it.

Walker Quiet-Flow Muffler 40094
Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-40094

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-01-2016).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Summit: https://www.summitracing.co.../wlk-40094/overview/

Yes, that's the one I found at Summit and on partsgeek, or partstrain or one of those similar sites, but I can't find it now. I remember it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the walker exhaust from summit racing on my 88 formula. It fits great except for slight contact on the engine mount pad. The fwd corner of the pad contacts the exhaust pipe. I left if as is and have had no problems. The next time i drop the exhaust I'm going to cut a small portion of the corner of with a cut-off wheel. I also used the stainless steel band style pipe clamps to attach the pipe to the catalytic converter.

From the summitracing site.
https://www.summitracing.co...el/fiero?prefilter=1

------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 11-29-2016).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Side note: Anybody else notice when looking at pictures of unmolested '88 GT tail pipes, the drivers side tip is always a little lower than the passenger side.
Mine is, and I thought it was just out of adjustment, but as I have been searching, I see it a lot like that......
eh, I am picky about having a symmetrical exhaust, but that looks like that is the way they put it together... must have had a shorter person working on that side. LOL

Yes! What's up with that?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

... but I can't find it now. I remember it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150.

$135 at Summit. Did you not click the link I gave you?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony, your link doesn't appear to work properly. It takes us to a list of... POPULAR AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS

There's some kind of weirdness going on with http://optimize.viglink.com

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-01-2016).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's some kind of weirdness going on with http://optimize.viglink.com

Nothing wrong with the link. copy/paste seems to work.

I think viglink.com is encoded into PFF pages (revenue stream)
"VigLink - Make Money from Links your Members Post"

This is supposed to disable it (hasn't worked for me)...
http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did but it goes to "Places just like Summit." Target, Walmart, Amazon, ebay.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nothing wrong with the link. copy/paste seems to work.

There's something strange about that link (but yes, copy/paste of the URL works) . If I simply click on your link, it does not take me to a Summit page for a Walker muffler. Fierofool appears to be having the same problem.

This is supposed to disable it (hasn't worked for me)...
http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

Clicking Disable does nothing. The next time that site is accessed, it's still Enabled.

Although I've read criticism previously about viglink.com messing with people here, I myself have never experienced this redirection issue before.

I'm curious... does anyone clicking that link above not get redirected to where Fierofool and I get sent?

FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Click the link then scroll to the bottom. It will have another link that says "skip these deals & continue to summitracing.com"

It's got to be some adware. The link I posted was directly from summit's site.

------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 12-01-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah link takes me to the ads for other stores too

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-01-2016).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Click the link then scroll to the bottom. It will have another link that says "skip these deals & continue to summitracing.com"

It's got to be some adware. The link I posted was directly from summit's site.

I did but it does nothing. I clicked on Why Am I Seeing This? on the other corner and this is what I got:

Why am I seeing this?

At VigLink, we empower content creators to connect enthusiastic consumers with the products they love. We accomplish this directly through publishers' words—without need for an ad.

Our ability to identify the same product across various merchants allows you to choose where you want to shop, and ensures you're getting the best possible price. If you want to continue on to the original destination of the link you clicked, all you need to do is click "continue to..." in the upper righthand corner of this page.

To learn more about VigLink please visit our site at www.viglink.com.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I did but it does nothing. I clicked on Why Am I Seeing This? on the other corner and this is what I got:

Why am I seeing this?

At VigLink, we empower content creators to connect enthusiastic consumers with the products they love. We accomplish this directly through publishers' words—without need for an ad.

Our ability to identify the same product across various merchants allows you to choose where you want to shop, and ensures you're getting the best possible price. If you want to continue on to the original destination of the link you clicked, all you need to do is click "continue to..." in the upper righthand corner of this page.

To learn more about VigLink please visit our site at www.viglink.com.

It seems Cliff has VigLink on his pages - this is not adware on our machines...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It seems Cliff has VigLink on his pages...

So this is something that Cliff has set up then? For revenue, I suppose?

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So this is something that Cliff has set up then? For revenue, I suppose?

Looks to be the case.
88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your exhaust is in good shape and you are not after a new sound or performance then leave it be. It is a stainless exhaust system from the factory. The walker or fiero store replacements are mild steel and will rot off in 3 years. Unless you wait for tax return like I did and shell out for the stainless ocelot system from the fiero storethen leaving it is your best bet.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88cryan:

Unless you wait for tax return like I did and shell out for the stainless ocelot system from the fiero store then leaving it is your best bet.

Naw, your best bet (if you actually need to replace it) is to pick up a good used factory system at the wreckers. It was a little difficult getting it home... but it can be done!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pic
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Nice pic

The wreckers I go to are an hour away on the freeway. I got some weird looks on the drive home.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Naw, your best bet (if you actually need to replace it) is to pick up a good used factory system at the wreckers. It was a little difficult getting it home... but it can be done!

I bet you did get some strange looks getting that home like that!

I may have just gotten rather lucky and bought an original 87,000 mile '88 GT exhaust to play with.
My intent is to clean it up like new and put it on my GT, then take my old one to a local custom exhaust builder to see if he can duplicate it in stainless like the original.

It is a shame nobody makes stainless exhausts for them anymore.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I may have just gotten rather lucky and bought an original 87,000 mile '88 GT exhaust to play with.

Excellent!

On the '86 GT pictured above, the original muffler began making a really obnoxious "wap-wap-wap" racket at a particular idle RPM. The two layers of the muffler's outer shell had somehow become too flexible and were vibrating and snapping against each other. I managed to snag a factory exhaust (from the cat back) in perfect shape off another GT at the wreckers for around 50 bucks. I was pretty happy.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-03-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is a shame nobody makes stainless exhausts for them anymore.

Seems The Fiero Store still has some.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Seems The Fiero Store still has some.

Thanks dobey for the link, and I had seen that one but in the description it says it would change the sound, and I really like the stock exhaust note.
Pontiac did a really nice job with the exhaust sound in my opinion!

Even some of the Grand Am factory exhausts sound really nice to me.

A couple of pictures of the exhaust I just bought, still attached to the cradle.
Only damage looks like a slight kink in one of the tips.
The cradle is sold and sadly this is from an '88 GT that had been rolled a few years back.
Hmm, wonder what else I could get?
I cannot pick it up for a while, but it is all mine now, bought and paid for.

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 12-03-2016).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2016 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks dobey for the link, and I had seen that one but in the description it says it would change the sound, and I really like the stock exhaust note.
Pontiac did a really nice job with the exhaust sound in my opinion!

I have it on my car. "Change the sound" is a bit too vague of a description I think. It's really not far off from the stock exhaust note, so much as to me it was "more" of it. Like the growl/rasp is the same as stock, but it's louder and more pronounced.

But to each his own I guess.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 12-03-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I have it on my car. "Change the sound" is a bit too vague of a description I think. It's really not far off from the stock exhaust note, so much as to me it was "more" of it. Like the growl/rasp is the same as stock, but it's louder and more pronounced.

But to each his own I guess.

Actually that is very good to know, as finding a decent stainless exhaust seems to be a roll of the dice, so this will be an interesting option for me down the road.

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

railshot

1310 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Excellent!

On the '86 GT pictured above, the original muffler began making a really obnoxious "wap-wap-wap" racket at a particular idle RPM. The two layers of the muffler's outer shell had somehow become too flexible and were vibrating and snapping against each other.

Very interesting Patrick, as mine is doing the same thing and driving me nuts now forever.
This is the main reason I was looking for a replacement.
Did yours get quieter, but not gone as it warmed up?
Mine does.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock