Started on: 11-19-2016 11:54 PM
Replies: 9 (340 views)
Last post by: mrfiero on 11-22-2016 09:13 PM
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2016 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 1993 Lumina Z34 parts car a few weeks ago for the engine. I have a new crate engine that will be going into my '88 GT, but I still needed the intake, injectors, harness, etc. so buying a whole car made sense. Anyway....I was wondering if it will come out the top or if I have to drop the cradle (and/or which way is easiest).

Any advice?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cutting Torch
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Cutting Torch

That is option #2!

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the parts you need can be pulled without removing the engine. You can save yourself a lot of work.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled my parts engine from a 94 Grand Prix out the top. Be VERY careful with the front lifting loop. I pulled min at the boneyard and used a piece of seat belt fed through the loops for the hook to grab. That put too much side pressure on the loop and broke the big aluminum casting on the front of the engine. Be sure to pull straight up on those loops.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

All the parts you need can be pulled without removing the engine. You can save yourself a lot of work.

Joe Sokol

I may just go that route. I've debated whether or not it would be worth the effort to have the whole engine for spares, but I may just pull off the intake stuff, harness and heads then call it a day. I don't really need the block and it's seized up anyway....hydro-locked, cylinders full of coolant!

The main reason for pulling the whole engine was so I could keep better track of where things go and how they attach to the engine. I'm not ready to start the swap yet, so it will be easy for me to forget how it all goes together
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A camera or phone is your friend, especially 3 months later when you've forgotten where it all goes!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you decide to pull the whole engine, I vote for removing the whole cradle. After trying it both ways at the salvage over the years, including several times by myself, I've learned it's much easier to pull the cradle. It also makes it easier to see the engine in its natural habitat, as well as removing the components you want to keep or discard.

My yard charges extra for starters, alternators, etc. if they're still bolted to the block.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 11-21-2016).]

JohnSmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnSmithSend a Private Message to JohnSmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
I may just go that route. I've debated whether or not it would be worth the effort to have the whole engine for spares, but I may just pull off the intake stuff, harness and heads then call it a day. I don't really need the block and it's seized up anyway....hydro-locked, cylinders full of coolant!

The main reason for pulling the whole engine was so I could keep better track of where things go and how they attach to the engine. I'm not ready to start the swap yet, so it will be easy for me to forget how it all goes together

I have hydro-locked a 3.4 DOHC before, and it bent rods, and rust covered several components. Personally, if it's hydro-locked, I don't see any of the long block parts having any value whatsoever.

I'd still remove the engine though. The rear exhaust manifold and alternator alone will take longer to get off and out than pulling the entire engine, especially if the car is an automatic. They are pure hell. Designed by the devil himself. In hell. As punishment for us humans.

IIRC the crate engines do not come with exhaust studs. If you plan on reusing the donor engine's, you'll want to let them sit overnight after being generously coated with WD40 or a penetrating oil. They're easy to strip the heads off of.

Good luck!
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to strip the engine while it was still installed in the car. I pulled the intake stuff, the heads and wiring harness. The engine was full of coolant....I pulled the oil drain plug and got almost 2 gallons of coolant. There is evidence of previous work, so I think someone just put it back together wrong (lots of loose bolts, etc).

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I appreciate it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock