Four cylinder swap exhaust inquiry. by Lunatic
Started on: 11-18-2016 07:06 AM
Replies: 3 (632 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 11-22-2016 03:51 PM
Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys.

I've been swapping in a 2.2 Ecotec into my car and I'm at the stage for exhaust. My car is normally aspirated and will be running a stock exhaust manifold.

While my car does not require an emission's test, I will add a catalytic converter in order to comply with our laws.

For the record, I'd like a nice, mellow tone rather then the ricer/fart can sound.

What are your recommendations for a decent sounding exhaust/muffler that comes from a 16 valve DOHC engine, stock exhaust manifold, a cat and 2.25" tubing?

Thanks for your input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If good....
Try use stock exhaust w/ a new cat should do.
Fiero exhaust pipes are so short. Shorter and likely same size the car that engine came from.

New monolithic cats have so little restriction engine won't see much if any back pressure from have a cat.
But if not tune the engine and run lean or rich, burning oil, etc, will destroy them fast.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my ecotec , I used a cat from a Solstice and a flowmaster muffler designed for 3rd gen Camaros with dual exhausts .I liked the sound , but did not like the extra weight .I now run just the cat and a straight pipe .With a turbo setup , you don't need a muffler .

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For low mellow sound (but not quiet) I actually have used the Thrush "turbo" muffler on a grand am with a 3.1 and it sounded great. Inexpensive too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock