Engine cover? 2.8 Modern look. by Australian
Started on: 11-17-2016 06:34 AM
Replies: 16 (612 views)
Last post by: trivet on 11-28-2016 08:18 AM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever made an engine cover for the 2.8?
I been looking around at v6 and v8 covers looking for something suitable has anyone ever fooled around with this?
I think the 3800sc and some of the LS engine covers have most potential.
If heating could be a problem perhaps it could be discussed.
I really think something cool could be made to modernise the look of stock engine.
I wouldn't display a spec the engine didn't have V8 or supercharged sign to be filled with company badges of other makes along
with oil cap hole to be relocated over correct position if possible or the ability to lift of cover with ease and keep engine unmodified underneath I don't know if anyone has even talked of this other than laughing at some of the kit cars poor plastic engine bays.
If you have had thoughts on this i would love to hear your views. Perhaps stupid idea to some but just thinking aesthetics as want to change motor like everyone butt think stock engine could be dressed up a little.
image found at myfiero.com
eg shave off 2 pipes if really keen could live with this one just remove replace the badges.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been done.... Well, sort of!

Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought those new engine covers were there to cover up what is otherwise a very ugly upper intake manifold (usually plastic too). At least in my experience, the plastic manifolds under those covers have been fairly unattractive. Seems a shame to use one to cover up the nice looking Fiero manifold. Just my opinion though. I'm sure, judging by the other fab work I've seen on this site, someone could make something look pretty nice though.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its going to be opinion, but the plastic cover look is generally to cover up an ugly technical looking function only engine (newer engines), the Fiero's 2.8 is good looking already.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't an engine cover called a "hood"???

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There used to be a Lambo V12 style engine cover made mostly for kit cars. I dont remember who sold them. One idea I toyed with on my SuperBee was to paint the hood like the center was ripped open to show an lifesized airbrushed pic of a dual 4bbl Hemi engine.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Its going to be opinion, but the plastic cover look is generally to cover up an ugly technical looking function only engine (newer engines), the Fiero's 2.8 is good looking already.

Yeah, the lack of a tacky engine cover is one reason I like Fieros...

If I wanted a modern car, I would have bought one.

Plastic covers don't look good; they scream cost-cutting and no effort/care to make the engine below presentable.

It's pretty lame when an 80s Fiero has a better looking engine than a new LT-powered Tupperware-equipped Corvette.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-21-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate them.
1. They trap heat and cook wiring and often other parts w/ cut lifetime for them.
Fiero, V6 is worse, w/o this junk cooks vac lines etc because engine bay air get very hot very fast when in slow/stopped traffic.

2. Adding engine oil etc is a pain w/ many and if spilled cleanup can take a lot longer.

I remove one on the Kia years ago for these reasons.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here. An engine cover for the Fiero's 2.8 would probably be at the bottom of my list for potential modifications.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

I hate them.
1. They trap heat and cook wiring and often other parts w/ cut lifetime for them.
Fiero, V6 is worse, w/o this junk cooks vac lines etc because engine bay air get very hot very fast when in slow/stopped traffic.

2. Adding engine oil etc is a pain w/ many and if spilled cleanup can take a lot longer.

I remove one on the Kia years ago for these reasons.

I've had the connector on my V6 Fiero's ignition coil kind of melt (requiring replacement), and the engine wasn't overheating... It was just summertime.

Probably to add an engine cover and not have issues, one would need to look over the engine harness with a fine-toothed comb, and make sure that all connectors/wires/everything is rated for 150°C rather than the typical 125°C automotive temp. Quite an undertaking. Things like sensors become difficult; how to upgrade the service temp of a connector that's built-into a sensor?
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why!? The Fiero has one of the coolest factory intakes, its red and says Fiero! Why would you want to cover that???
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
I've had the connector on my V6 Fiero's ignition coil kind of melt (requiring replacement), and the engine wasn't overheating... It was just summertime.

Probably to add an engine cover and not have issues, one would need to look over the engine harness with a fine-toothed comb, and make sure that all connectors/wires/everything is rated for 150°C rather than the typical 125°C automotive temp. Quite an undertaking. Things like sensors become difficult; how to upgrade the service temp of a connector that's built-into a sensor?
You might upgrade wire but most times likely won't help when connectors are baked. Most times you can't upgrade connectors to higher temp.

GM and other connectors only came from a few factories. GM parts are Now Delphi or Contract parts. Delphi, and most OE contractors, rates most connectors and sensors at 125°C, a few only 85°C oddly one is some lamp sockets. Some might be higher but you have to ask manufacturers because that spec is often not published in their catalogs or are burred... Delphi Fluid Temperature Sensors (Pdf - Later ECT for Fiero is this.) Operating temperature: -40°C to 135°C at http://www.delphi.com/manuf...ine-and-transmission

Even w/ higher temps, Sensors in/on head(s) or block can cook over time just longer w/ higher #. Connector to them can/will cook over time w/ 125°C rating but most take years. Most Fiero engine connectors just break locking ears after decades of use unless too close to exhaust or have exhaust leaks. "melting" coil plugs could be missing heat shield(s), exhaust leak, etc.

Dorman and many others buy same parts as GM or is often a low grade clone part.
Example: www.whiteproducts.com buys Delphi Weather pack etc from Delphi then loose pack to sell to the public.
Most others have less choice and/or sell only/mainly as pig tails like Dorman.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually like the Fiero's plenum top instead of a cover also.. It has "Design".. But of all, I like the 88's the best with the carved into Fiero name instead of the decal.. I could see a cover keeping the dirt and dust off but definitely trapping the heat in...

My jEEP has a cover and been debating to take it off.. But then every oil change, I'm cleaning it off.. With scrub brushes! So do I take it off? I know that when I'm crawling in the trails that heat is just building up in there. I want to eventually put vent louvers in the hood to help cooling but when the rain hits, that cover will really come in handy. The louvers may be just enough to let the heat escape?

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I like the 88's the best with the carved into Fiero name instead of the decal.

Just so you know... 87's are the same.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh!.. Cool.. More spare parts.. If you can find them
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just engraved my 85 plenum:

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2016 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I just engraved my 85 plenum:

That looks REALLY good! Nice Job!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock