Started on: 11-11-2016 06:28 PM
Replies: 11 (431 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-17-2016 08:34 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any experience with the Cardone Generation 2 headlight motors? The new, unpainted ones. I found motors, but no reviews on any site. Are they exact fit without any mods? Have they held up well for you?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2016 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cardone offers both rebuilt and new motors. I have used only the brand new ones. Exact fit, work super smooth and after 1 year still working fine . While the rebuild of old Gen II headlight motors is not difficult, this is the time saving approach that I am taking from now on.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While new and rebuild by Cardone cost more is cheap and easier vs DIY fixing old ones.

Rebuilt is not a simple slap new dowels/pins in the bottom end. Most fail to clean then correctly lube and adjust the assemble and have more problems. (Can't just use any grease on hand. Most damage the plastic parts.)

Old dowels can go bad just old age but bad dowels can be cause by other problems. They are made to fail before gear or output shaft breaks.
Hard Delrin dowels can break others parts when module has problems etc.
See //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128600.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are hard pressed for cash, you can put in new Delrin dowel pins and get the motors working again but must agree that they are not the right parts for softening shock loads on the gear or safeguarding the motor. The problem with rebuilding is not always just taking off the plate, pulling the gear and inserting new Delrin pins. Often the screw heads break off and you are left with a rusted in broken screw stud left on the housing.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My problem is that the aluminum tri-pot has spun on the shaft.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
My problem is that the aluminum tri-pot has spun on the shaft.
I'm guessing dowels/pins look new too... If so, Someone already use Derlin ones and now the next weak spot fails.
If you fix this then the nylon gear will break or loose teeth. Or did they use a metal gear already?

Get another used motor or Cardone.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-14-2016).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bumpstops are original in both motors and are still intact. They're discolored yellowish-caramel color with a hole in the center. I've owned the car since 2001 and am technically the 2nd owner. I don't think the motors have ever been out of the vehicle. It was in immaculate condition.

I also have an 88 that I acquired from the original owner. One of the motors had failed , so I replaced the bumpstops in each. The motor that failed had crumbs, but the other had the same style bumpstops with the hole through the center, so I believe the 87 are original.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you guys buying new motors? I see rebuilds at the Fiero Store but my usual online source (Rock Auto) has none. Unless I am missing something there.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Where are you guys buying new motors? I see rebuilds at the Fiero Store but my usual online source (Rock Auto) has none. Unless I am missing something there.

Just checked again Rock Auto does carry them. About $85 each for brand new units. As indicated I have rebuilt motors in the past but view new motors as the best long term fix.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2016 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh now I see them! They're under "Body". I was looking in "Electrical".... Thanks!

Think I'll pull my bad motor tonight and see what's up with it.
mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got them on my car. Went in like factory and work like factory. I've rebuilt in the past and never will again.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With 3 current cars now having the Gen 2 motors, I'll probably get a couple of motors over time to put on the shelf, just in case Cardone quits making them.

I did find a through shaft with the tripot to repair my current motor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock