sell to fix vs fix to sell? by erniehawk
Started on: 11-08-2016 12:04 PM
Replies: 11 (317 views)
Last post by: erniehawk on 11-11-2016 11:36 AM
erniehawk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made a trip south to see family, made a side trip to get parts for my 30 year old notchy from the Fiero Factory!

What's on my mind is finally upgrading the headlights to 2nd gen and removing the sunroof and changing it over to no sunroof.
(Yes, fully aware and knowledgeable on the how to do such things) And I'll probably do this even if I do sell her .

I'm also very aware our cars are not worth much and after 30 years of owning them I don't see that changing!

And yeah everyone wants free. Same with old wooden boats that I used to restore with my son.

I'll be making some for sale posts soon, hope this post is ok in the general forum!

Thoughts appreciated!

------------------
Denise, Bristol PA (Ernie is my Brother) 86 SE, stock resto. Jasper reman, 5spd Isuzu

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldnt work on those things if I was selling it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought maybe this thread was going to be about real estate. You cannot anticipate the tastes of your buyer. Maintenance?,,,,yes. Improvements?.....no.
erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah well my 150 year old house did increase in value !
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sunroof vs. non-sunroof car is totally a personal preference thing so changing from one to the other won't add any "value" to the car, unless your current sunroof roof section is in bad shape and the fiberglass separating around the opening. Depending on the future buyer and how picky they are about originality changing from one to the other could hurt the value in their eyes. In reality unless you have a super low mileage low production 88 with rare options such as T-tops, it really doesn't matter what you do to it, it will only be worth what someone is willing to pay for it and it will all come down to personal preference.

As for changing the headlights over to the second gen setup. I would say it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade but the only people who will even know what you are talking about would be Fiero people, and depending on the person they may appreciate the upgrade but would not add any $$ value to the price.

So in short I don't think it would be worth the time or money in parts to make the changes if you are just planning to sell it because I don't think you will see any additional money from the car due to the changes that you plan to make. Now if you find a interested buyer that looks at your car and says, "boy it's perfect I just really wish it didn't have a sunroof", then you can talk $$ with the potential buyer and see how much more they would be willing to pay for you to swap the roof out.

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 11-08-2016).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You usually wont get the money back for any maintenance items you change.
For example, changing all shocks and struts so you can say 'NEW STRUTS' in your for sale ad won't get you a higher sale price.
The exception would be if the car is not currently running, it may be worth while to change out a few things to get it running, assuming the items needed aren't big ticket things. People would obviously pay more for a running car, than one not.

The show WHEELER DEALER directly contradicts my comments, but the very premise of that show is that they acquired the cars very cheaply to begin with.

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 11-08-2016).]

erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2016 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My bad for leading y'all to think she's a non running project car. 60 K on the Jasper 2.8 the paint will need a redo or repaint thanks to the painter using the wrong primer back then.
How she looked around 2005

And just one of the many

------------------
Denise, Bristol PA (Ernie is my Brother) 86 SE, stock resto. Jasper reman, 5spd Isuzu

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

You usually wont get the money back for any maintenance items you change.
For example, changing all shocks and struts so you can say 'NEW STRUTS' in your for sale ad won't get you a higher sale price.
The exception would be if the car is not currently running, it may be worth while to change out a few things to get it running, assuming the items needed aren't big ticket things. People would obviously pay more for a running car, than one not.

The show WHEELER DEALER directly contradicts my comments, but the very premise of that show is that they acquired the cars very cheaply to begin with.

The one thing I noticed watching this show, is they fix just about everything wrong, and spend a week or two in time on it. Then theyre thrilled when they sell it for $200 over what they have in it plus parts... They dont include the labor time they spent when selling it. You couldnt get me to work for a week on anything for $200.

erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've known for many years our cars were, are and will always be worthless to anyone but us. I love em! Always will! That is why I restored them. This ome is my last.. had five since 1986. If some of you are trying to make me feel bad, you aren't, I had a 30 foot sailboat.. you think cars are money pits?

------------------

[This message has been edited by erniehawk (edited 11-09-2016).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by erniehawk:

I've known for many years our cars were, are and will always be worthless to anyone but us. I love em! Always will! That is why I restored them. This ome is my last.. had five since 1986. If some of you are trying to make me feel bad, you aren't, I had a 30 foot sailboat.. you think cars are money pits?

Why I don't own a boat.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Why I don't own a boat.

a 30' sailboat requires a lot of maintenance?? And I was going to get one because a yard full of Fieros has not bankrupted me yet.
PFF
System Bot
erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2016 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

a 30' sailboat requires a lot of maintenance?? And I was going to get one because a yard full of Fieros has not bankrupted me yet.

Hope they aren't in your front yard...

[This message has been edited by erniehawk (edited 11-11-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock